Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Kung Fu suitable for me?

Is Kung Fu suitable for me?

Hi,

I want to start a Martial Art for self-defense, fun and because I'm interested in it anyway. I've already read quite a bit about what kind of art I'd like to do, and i've come to the conclusion that it has to be either Kung Fu (Wing Tsun probably), Ninjutsu or Aikido. I think though that I'll start Kung Fu because:

1. There aren't many Ninjutsu schools around here, only one actually that is a bit far away. Plus I don't like weapon fighting.

2. Aikido seems to be a bit too defensive for me and I also want to do a bit for my condition / health which is, as far as I know, not that much a part of Aikido.

Sooo can you just answer a few questions for me?

1. Is Kung Fu more hard to learn than the other arts? I mean, at the moment I can hardly kick as high as my chest. Do I need to be somehow "talented"?

2. Are there throws, joint locks, chokes etc. in Kung Fu, specifically Wing Tsun (or Wing Chun or however it's spelled, sorry)?

3. Is there some kind of Belt-system in Kung Fu?

4. Is the stuff that I learn also effective in a street fight? (i know i'm not learning muay thai or kickboxing here but still i want to learn some stuff for being able to defense myself)

5. How much will I have to pay for learning Kung Fu (one lesson per week)? I mean average, I'm still a student you know...

6. Is Kung Fu the most "complete" martial art out there? I don't like to learn e.g. only grappling as in BJJ, or only striking as in boxing etc.

THANKS A LOT

1. Quality of the instructor is more important than which art you choose.

2. Pick something you like.

3. WingTsun is a fairly complete art.

Have fun!

Is this a Troll?

You wont get far with one lesson a week unless you just want a hobby.
    LOL.. really, what else did you hear?.. did you hear that he was voted Man of the Year by Kung-Fu Magizine?

I think any of the skills you mentioned can be good... just remember it takes practise to become good and not to expect anything too quickly.

Aikido can be very good, but it depends on the teacher. I have had many good experiences with it.

Wing Chun is also what i study now, and i enjoy it and find it helps me for health and martial arts skill a lot

The main thing is to find a good teacher - someone who really knows their style, but can also teach you it! It's sometimes hard to do

Usually you will find that most Universitys have some martial art classes nowadays, and usually they are pretty cheap as well!

good luck with your training!

david
    Peace is not the product of terror or fear.
    Peace is not the silence of cemeteries.
    Peace is not the silent result of violent repression.
    Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all.
    Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity.
    It is right and it is duty.

4. You will not learn Self-defense in any 'martial-art' class. Some (very rare) will teach you how to fight, and will condition your body for fighting, some (even rarer) will teach you how to teach yourself. Most just teach you fancy techniques, and the majority just barely get you "in-shape."

5. Cost varies widely, if you only want 1-class per week, you will probably pay somewheres around 40-70 $$.

6. No. There is no-such thing as a 'most-complete-art'. Most 'martial-arts' will eventually instill a well-rounded set of fighting skills.

I would recomend you seek out the closest Martial Art schools, check them each out, and then attend the one you find the most interesting/challenging. If you are truely interested in self defense and health, then goto a gym, and dont get yourself into violent situations.
    strike!

Self-defense should be the side-effect. I mean I'm not supposed to learn MA and get my ass kicked by everyone, right?

I can only take 1 class per week for both time and money reasons, as I'm busy with finishing school the next two years. I mean i can take one class per week and then do it more often later.

thanks for your help guys, if some more want to answer the questinos that'd be very nice

PS: NO i'm not a troll, why should I be?!

EDIT: oh and that 40-70 $$ is per week or month?
    Last edited by zacharias; 08-26-2002 at 01:52 PM.

Hi Zacharias -
    here's a link to an article about choosing a Kung Fu school that may be helpful to you:

http://www.kickboxing.com/knowledge/fitness/ckc6.htm

And here are a few other articles that may answer some of your questions about Chinese Martial Arts:

http://www.kickboxing.com/knowledge/...s/ckcindex.htm

Asking on this forum is a good start too - there's a lot of collective skill and experience on this forum.

Good luck with your training

Thumbs up My reccomendation

you will find alot of CMA schools teaching this method.
    in Cantonese it is called " Nan See Boi" method.
    a very good system.

also you can look for a school that teaches this method as well. also a very good method its called "takeyo do" its more of a hybrid japanese style but most schools will utilize it.

Good Luck in your search,,The Willow Sword
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

1. Is Kung Fu more hard to learn than the other arts? I mean, at the moment I can hardly kick as high as my chest. Do I need to be somehow "talented"?

talant is worthless without dedication, while dedication can eventually create talant. most styles definately take a lot more time to get proficient with, but i personally think it's worth it in the long run. don't worry about kicking above the waist. if a school makes you kick higher than that on a regular basis (for anything but fitness work) stay away from it.

2. Are there throws, joint locks, chokes etc. in Kung Fu, specifically Wing Tsun (or Wing Chun or however it's spelled, sorry)?

a lot of styles have some chi na in them and the ones that dont usually have sifus that have crosstrained in jujitsu or something of the like.

depends on the school. mine doesn't, but that guy's over there does.

4. Is the stuff that I learn also effective in a street fight? (i know i'm not learning muay thai or kickboxing here but still i want to earn some stuff for being able to defense myself

depends on the school. you definately have to visit the schools. style isn't nearly as important as the teacher and class. make sure that if you aren't sparring immediately you will be sparring at some point. a good rule of thumb is that if the advanced students can without a doubt hand you your ass, you have at least a little to learn there.

5. How much will I have to pay for learning Kung Fu (one lesson per week)? I mean average, I'm still a student you know...

depends on the school. 40 - 70 a month sounds about right.

6. Is Kung Fu the most "complete" martial art out there? I don't like to learn e.g. only grappling as in BJJ, or only striking as in boxing etc.

no such thing. only complete fighters. as a general rule good kung fu will be all you need for striking, but you will usually have to seek out grappeling elsewhere if you're interested.
    where's my beer?

Self-defense is not a "side-effect" of going to MA class. Sometimes better physical health is a side-effect, tho.

If you only take 1-class a week, with no other training, even at a 'very-good-academy-of-real-fighting' you will probably get your ass handed to you by all but the most non-athletic people.

Fighting, MA, and self-defense are very different, and only sometimes majorly related.
    strike!

Thumbs up

Fighting, MA, and self-defense are very different, and only sometimes majorly related.

that's one of the best sentences i've read here for a LONG time...
    just wanted to say it

david
    Peace is not the product of terror or fear.
    Peace is not the silence of cemeteries.
    Peace is not the silent result of violent repression.
    Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all.
    Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity.
    It is right and it is duty.

Thumbs up dezhen2001 you beat me to it!

Yenhoi has a good point - martial arts are a very small part of 'self defense'.

To get past the semantics and get a good idea of what self defense really is and how the martial arts fit in, I suggest you check out Marc MacYoung's site No Nonsense Self Defense where the topic is dealt with exhaustively.
    Last edited by Stone Monkey; 08-27-2002 at 02:15 AM.

13. Thumbs up

zacharias Hi,

"I want to start a Martial Art for self-defense, fun and because I'm interested in it anyway. I've already read quite a bit about what kind of art I'd like to do, and i've come to the conclusion that it has to be either Kung Fu (Wing Tsun probably), Ninjutsu or Aikido. I think though that I'll start Kung Fu because:

1. There aren't many Ninjutsu schools around here, only one actually that is a bit far away. Plus I don't like weapon fighting.

They do plenty of empty hand technique as far as I know but if itīs far itīs...

2. Aikido seems to be a bit too defensive for me and I also want to do a bit for my condition / health which is, as far as I know, not that much a part of Aikido.

Aikido is pretty defensive (we could say the same about majority of kung-fu but...) You generally accept the force,you donīt just go there and create an opening for yourself.
    Probably very good for health,you wonīt develop thick muscles in no time but strengthen yourself generally,learn to breathe properly and increase the vitality of your internal organs.
    It is an internal art,and considered by some as a "health exercise" but there is lots of martial left.
    Schools and styles vary,some are like dancing,some breathe fire (you might also want to check out jujutsu,this is,where aikido is largely from,not completely)
    BTW,it does not rely on brute force to succeed so your present condition is not a big thing anyway.

Sooo can you just answer a few questions for me?

Quite hard to say.Iīd say find out if it is for you...
    There are over a thousand of styles (serious) and styles vary.
    It is often considered,that flashy kicks are not very practical for self-defense (not to say they could not be a lot of fun and conditioning)

Grappling in wing chun is likely to be quite straightforward as you might expect from a striking art.Some parts are grappling oriented,maybe.
    Simple grabbing to lead up strikes,limb dislocations etc.
    Please note though,that I donīt know too much about it,but is highly popular style so you might find it fun.
    Thatīs it when it comes to wing chun.
    It is said that nearly any kung-fu style has at least some chin-na (they call grappling "chin-na" in chinese martial arts,it refers to nearly anything which involves grappling-pressure points,choking,blood press/cavity press,limb misplacing/breaking,muscle grabbing,tearing,locking,pinning,throwing,take-downs...list goes on) Some do it more,some less.
    But many well-known systems teach a bunch of it.
    Generally speaking,so called "southern" kung-fu styles have better chin-na because they rely more on hand techniques,where "northern" styles use more feet.

I think in kung-fu they generally talk about "sash"īes.
    Belts can also be heard of,but not used at all in various styles.

4. Is the stuff that I learn also effective in a street fight? (i know i'm not learning muay thai or kickboxing here but still i want to learn some stuff for being able to defense myself)

If you want to train it that way.China has an outstanding military history and kung-fu has been "used" a time or two...
    Much kung-fu can look useles to an uneducated eye,but it stands itīs ground.Some styles like tai-chi chuan may take longer to learn and look ineffective but can be very deadly at best.
    It is a bit offline to add this into this answer,but it has also plenty of more to offer besides self-defense (which still is one of the essential parts)

I have no idea! Visit all schools you can and ask them all that concerns you.

6. Is Kung Fu the most "complete" martial art out there? I don't like to learn e.g. only grappling as in BJJ, or only striking as in boxing etc. "

There is a very popular question which goes like "What is the best martial art to learn?" This question is impossible to answer,no style is completely complete,even if they would teach this and that.
    You could say that "whatever art is best for you".
    But I support kung-fu and would say that it has plenty to offer,and you can always cross-train.
    The sunsetīs setting down.Lay me on the forest floor.

I do not necessarily stand behind all of the statements I have made in the past, in this forum. Some of the statements may have appeared to support a biased view of reality, and may have been offensive. If you are a moral person and were hurt by comments that I made, you can PM me about it and I will apologize if I find your cause reasonable.
    -FC, summer of 2006-

Out of the three MA you mentioned, I'd go for kung fu everytime.

But really, go to the classes, see if you fancy it, and try it.

Give it a chance though because it'll be off-putting at first.

"You wont get far with one lesson a week unless you just want a hobby"

That IS what a lot of people want.
    '"4 ounces deflect 1000 pounds" represents a skill potential, if you stand in front of a 1000 pound charging bull and apply four ounces of deflection, well, you get the picture..' - Tai Chi Bob

"My car has a lot of parts in there that I don't know about, don't know what they're called, haven't seen them and wouldn't know what they were if someone pointed them out to me .... doesn't mean they're not in there." - Evolution Fist

Martial art is what you make it to be. Simple as that. You can choose to be a fighter, or not a fighter. None is 'correct', it's all about your own choice. In the end it doesn't really matter that much wich MA ya choose, it's your own approach and how hard you train that matters. But of corse, Kung Fu is the best ,lol,
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, Iīm just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."