Page 29 of 31 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 LastLast

Thread: Is Wing Tsun Leung Ting the best branch of wing chun?

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianUK
    ......, course I was looking at it from a WT perspective without training in its effectiveness so its an unqualified opinion.
    Adrian, Based on your description, I would not be enthusiastic about joining the club in question. 'nuf said...
    Cheers,
    'Talk is cheap because there is an excess of supply over demand'

Quote Originally Posted by Matrix
    Adrian, Based on your description, I would not be enthusiastic about joining the club in question. 'nuf said..
    On the other hand, I might......

(no disrespect intended, Bill.)

Just because some fighters might seem comparitively stiff, doesn't mean they don't have great ability as effective fighters.

-Lawrence
    I don't think Wing Chun is so limited that I can't do it when I wrestle, box, kickbox, or fight by MMA rules, nor am I so limited a student that I can't improve by training in each of those forums. -Andrew S

A good instructor encourages his students to question things, think for themselves and determine their own solutions to problems. They give advice, rather than acting as a vehicle for the transmission of dogma.
    -Andrew Nerlich

biggest is best i guess

With that logic, since Mcdonald's has the most food chains around the world.. i guess their food must be the best... makes sense

Quote Originally Posted by edward
    With that logic, since Mcdonald's has the most food chains around the world.. i guess their food must be the best... makes sense
    I'm afraid the analogy is invalid because no one goes broke eating at McDonalds.

I don't think Wing Chun is so limited that I can't do it when I wrestle, box, kickbox, or fight by MMA rules, nor am I so limited a student that I can't improve by training in each of those forums. -Andrew S

A good instructor encourages his students to question things, think for themselves and determine their own solutions to problems. They give advice, rather than acting as a vehicle for the transmission of dogma.
    -Andrew Nerlich

Quote Originally Posted by lawrenceofidaho
    I'm afraid the analogy is invalid because no one goes broke eating at McDonalds.
    Maybe not financially, but you will pay a very high price over time. Remember the film "SuperSize Me!".

(no disrespect intended, Bill.)
    None taken.
    Just because some fighters might seem comparitively stiff, doesn't mean they don't have great ability as effective fighters.
    Actually I was reacting more to the comment that "the guys with no sash on looked the same as the guys with coloured sashes". I believe you should see a clear and distinct difference in the skill levels from beginner to intermediate to advanced. Otherwise, what's the point?
    As for the comparatively stiff issue, I've often been accused of being too tense. It's a work in progress for me, so I'm not about the throw stones on that point.

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianUK
    I could not tell who was senior, they all did the same thing the same way
    Seniors should be the guys with; better timing, more fluidity, and ideal body mechanics. If the beginners are taught well, they should be executing the same stuff (mostly), -just not quite as slick as the guys who have been there a while.

Experienced people will also transition better if the initial technique goes awry.

-L

-Andrew Nerlich

Seniors should be the guys with; better timing, more fluidity, and ideal body mechanics. If the beginners are taught well, they should be executing the same stuff (mostly), -just not quite as slick as the guys who have been there a while.

Experienced people will also transition better if the initial technique goes awry.

-L
    Mr. Lawrence this is my thinking too . . . as I have come to understand it everyone has same fundamentals and it is how well we use those fundamentals that determines our skill level . . . and as you say that will depend on timing, mechanics, and so on. Do you mind my asking . . . how did you come by your view?

Thanks,

Ghost

Quote Originally Posted by ghostofwingchun
    Mr. Lawrence this is my thinking too . . . as I have come to understand it everyone has same fundamentals and it is how well we use those fundamentals that determines our skill level . . . and as you say that will depend on timing, mechanics, and so on. Do you mind my asking . . . how did you come by your view?
    I began realizing a few years ago, an inverse relationship between the intensity of sparring and the complexity of techniques. -In other words, the harder you are sparring, the less you tend to deviate from the basics.......

(Just something that has fairly consistantly, shown itself to be true since I started noticing and watching for it.)

-Lawrence

-Andrew Nerlich

Thank you Mr. Lawrence for your reply! I expected that your view was based on first hand experience . . . thanks for confirming it for me.

Thanks,

Ghost

Firstly I don't want to upset any LT students, what I am writing is from a personal perspective. i don't represent any organisation. Leung Ting is an effective street defence system to a point. that point being if your opponent has any effective grappling and groundwork then perching on one leg cannot be an advantage. I know the Lt trueism that standing on the rear leg provides a fast kick or arrowstep but this is simly not true in a real fight when your opponent aims to ambush you if you use 'when the way is free go foreward' strategy and turn it to their advantage. Lt Wing Chun is systematic technical kung fu. it makes you feel good if your chi sau is working against another opponent. in my opinion this is an illusion. Lt chi sau is limited to poon sau only (folding arms). there are many different chi sau games but please start to move your feet. feel how to maintain your balance and don't fall into the trap of locking your hips in the chararcter two stance. it doesn't exist in the weapons sections which sadly for most they never even see. i hope this helps answer your question.

DougH

Thought I could step in here with this and ask what your experience of LT WT is or KK WT ? I see the standing on one leg thing mentioned a lot, and while its true the weight loading is 0/100 you should be told this is a very transitional stance with the weight transferring around as you move, also using abduction of the front leg provides a lot more stability than standing on one leg would imply, as for the chi sau, theres probably too much and not enough sparring but it depends on who you train with. I don't think its fair to tar the whole WT lineage as the instruction is very diverse, equally the previous comments I made only reflect on the class I saw, not the whole of that lineage.

Regards,
    Adrian

Seniors should be the guys with; better timing, more fluidity, and ideal body mechanics.
    Lawrence,
    BINGO! That's what I would expect to see.

Hi Adrian
    you're right. my previous comments are too simplistic and generalising. I do have alot of Lt Wt experience but in a small number of schools. suffice it to say that these schools were very close to the source ie Gm LT and that's as far as I will go in naming them. like I said my comments are open from my personal experience. hopefully others will fare better in that system.

Doug H

Thanks for the honest reply, I know exactly what you mean but I've yet to find a lineage that does not get criticism !

Best to all

Adrian