Quote Originally Posted by tjwingchun
The big "IF", what I have been working toward for the last 15 years or so is the explanation of the basic forms related to simple body mechanics, and defined by geometrical positions, verticals, horizontals, right angles, parallels etc, that remove the personality out of the form, so they are not "Do it like ME!", but "understand this from this"
But, human nature is to learn by example (monkey see, monkey do), therefore 'do it like me' is an acceptable approach. The breakdown is when one individual believes that their approach is the 'only' or 'best' way (as the former is nonsense and the latter subjective).

Examine what you are stating (and what others have said that reflect the same intentions); explanation of the basic forms related to simple body mechanics…
Simple body mechanics should not be that difficult to explain and basic form vs. body mechanics should be understood easily (after all, we've spent our whole lives in our bodies, right?) The problem is in what people believe basic form and simple body mechanics should be…and ultimately who has the authority to state it empirically?

The concepts and principles involved condensed into commonsense statements, that can be easily understood and applied by anyone setting their own parameters of use, with something that is so obvious and simple it can be used in many ways.
First, common sense isn't so common. Second, IMO, teaching methods don't need to be simplified, they need to be modified.

Wing Chun will be around for a long time to come, though this is just MY vision, I see it taking over to become the predominant SELF DEFENCE system, a martial SCIENCE as opposed to ART, objective rather than subjective, a hobby that offers more than just self-protection but the fascination of how we interact with each other via Chi Sau, who many like me call 'physical chess'.
All the other styles will still be around as they have great value and traditions that will maintain the interest in them hopefully.
My statement wasn't that WC is likely to go the way of the dodo, more that we don't know what the future holds. What if martial arts are outlawed worldwide like they were in the latter days of the Japanese Empire? What if society evolves past the need for 'self-defense', etc.

I repeat however that science cannot be denied, the fact that scientific statements are constantly denied and require repeatable studies so that their theories are accepted, are the proof. Science is the process not the resulting hypothesis.
I repeat however that science is almost always denied, both by ignorance and science. You cannot state that science is the ultimate voice of reason, when it can contradict itself (again, see quantum phys., particle or wave???).

The Einstein/Quantum discussion is still all in the theory side of things not like the Newtonian mechanics Laws. Science is simply the best excuse for how we think things work, which is why to say the comment "Leung Ting Wing Tsun is the best Wing Chun in the world" cannot stand up to honest discussion and is more a statement of prejudice than incontrovertible fact.
I agree, as well as any other 'branch' of the WC family tree. Also, the 'theories' of quantum mechanics hold up to scientific scrutiny more so than many (not all) of the 'theories' on the 'basic' mechanics of WC (at least, FWIW).

Hope your smiles are as wide as your imagination and as often as your questions, lol.