Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Wing Tsun Leung Ting the best branch of wing chun?

Same sad story

Hello Everyone,

I just got a chance to read through this thread and I must say that I am both saddened and unsurprised. It started out with a somewhat inflamatory statement. Still, it seemed to move along without getting too out of hand. People were actually able to respond without dropping to the lower levels. Then, there comes along the my way is better crowd and the bashing begins. Some posts have become personal attacks against others. In all of this the actual concept of comparing WT to other lineages on a technical level vanishes. Oh, it tries to pop back up from time to time but there are those who will be quick to beat it down. Why open your mind and discuss something when you can place your head in the sand and keep spouting a single point of view??

Now to return to the topic of the thread;

WT has "evolved" or changed over the the years. I have been priviliged to train in and obtain my instructor level in Leung Tings Wing Tsun. While graded "officially" to my Primary Level, not that high I admit. I did train all three empty hand forms, the pole and the dummy prior to leaving WT. I left WT for personal reasons more politics than anything else. My training was under Sifu Keith Kernsprecht and Sifu Allan Fong. Allan was with Leung Ting when WT was introduced to Germany. I not only trained with Allan but I got to live in his home for a period of time. This does not mean I am any good, but I was exposed and fortunate enough to train with some who should know what they were talking about. I would hope that I was able to pick up some small bit of that knowledge and apply it to my Wing Tsun/Wing Chun.

Wt changed several times while I was training in it. Most noticiable the forms would have minor differences from one seminar to the next, with Sigung Leung Ting. Some of these changes were due to LT's exploration of the art and visits to the mainland. Most were surface variations only with no real deviation from the actual principles taught previously.

One of the greatest strengths, IMHO, was the "sections" of Chi Sau training. Each section taught one how to deal with not a specific attack but a different type of "energy. Many seem to lose the idea and turn these into "mechanical drills". IMHO this i incorrect as I always felt the goal was to incorporate the methods of playing with the energy and then become a free flowing responsive person basing your responses to what the opponent gave you.

I found that much of the "weakness" of the system was the narrow minded approach to some things. I always found it interesting that the Bic Bo with 100% weight on the rear leg was the exclusive footwork and the trademark of WT. However, when one gets to the knives the footwork deviates and takes a wider approach along with more of a 50/50 weightedness. But, the key weakness IMO is the mentality, the attitude of superiority which seemed to permeate the system. In Germany there was a genuine feeling of family which was also missing in the US.

As to the subject of ground fighting I will say that my current Sifu teaches it as part of his Wing Chun. However, I still feel that I would rather fight on my feet and if taken down will try to get up as quickly as possible. At least that is my goal

Wing Chun or Wing Tsun or Ving Tsun or whatever you choose to call your art and approach is a wonderful art. It is a conceptual system which will allow the intelligent student and Sifu to mold the art to their body type and needs without breaking the basic concepts. Which lineage is the best??? What car is the best??? If I am single and have no children I may find that a small two seater is good for me. However, as I have six children I find a small car, no matter how good to hardly be the best for me and my needs. No, I find a minivan to be best for now. My point is that each lineage has exponents who are good at that approach. But, I do not believe in the "One True Way". If there were such a thing that met everyones needs then I feel such an approach would become obvious and all would be doing it. Because, those that did that way would be unbeatable. Yet no lineage has been able to claim to be undefeatable, and none ever will.

One last thing, WT was very soft when I trained in it. There were plenty of drills to aid one to become a spontaneous free flowing practicianer. However if one focused on the drill then one would and did become mechanical. The drills were only a stepping stone to mastery, not the end goal.

Sorry for the length of this post. Hope some of it made sense.

Peace,

Dave

Excellent post, Dave.
    John

Have little and gain;
    Have much and be confused.

Hey Dave,

nice post. One thing which is getting more and more emphasized by sifu Emin is his approach to footwork. 0/100 is still used, but change stepping (the knife footwork) when distance is broken too far has received increased emphasis. In this vein, something sifu seems to really push is *much* footwork against different styles of body motion, learning to press and stick with the body without hand action. I know this isn't just his thing, but I would definitely say WT spends a hell of lot of time on footwork (and in fact, at this point , from one angle I really look at all the sections I know as footwork exercises).

FWIW- the split has really brought those of us who stayed with sifu much closer together. Seminars are rougher, but more friendly and cooperative.

Later,

Andrew

The Yip Chun influence over WT the last few years in amazing alot has changed since some Germans were exposed to Yip Chuns methods it seems.

That was a good post sihing73, apart from the false claims about what you have learnt. There is no way you would have learnt the WT long pole and complete dummy form if you were only a primary technichian. The way WT is graded, the primary level technichian is when you START learning biu Jee. Maybe you mean you have seen it and learnt aspects of it. But there is absolutely no way you would have been formally taught it. It is reserved for a much higher level.

There is indeed a constant modification process in WT. That is the meaning of an 'evolution'. If that was not the case things would not progress. Knife footwork is something that is being tsught earlier in application of the empty hand fighting,due to the restrictive nature of 'arrow walking' as a sole means of closing the range.

The emphasis on grappling and 'anti-groundfighting' will continue to grow and grow. It has been proven beyond doubt that grappling is a vital range that must be learnt. The evolution of WT willcontinue in this direction if it is to truly become an ultimate fighting sytem.
    FCF: So, who will you be facing at the next PRIDE event?

'It doesn't matter who the opponent is, I expect to win by knockout'

-Vanderlai Silva

UltimateFighter,

Dave posted a very honest post of Wing Tsun.

The syllabus in WT changes quite a bit - for example chisao now starts from grade 3 when it used to start from grade 5.

If Dave says he learnt it, that's good enough for me and you should accept his word.

From the tone of this thread, you would do well to learn a little humility because right now you are an embodiment of why others outside WT don't like us.

Nothing changes

Hello UltimateFighter,

You are at least partly correct, the Primary Level is the beginning of a much longer journey. Please re-read my post. I stated that I was "officially" graded at Primary Level. I received my Primary Level in 1988 and had permission to teach WT in 1887. I continued to train and live with Allan Fong until 1990-91. Allan trained me and you could always call on him to ask what I did or did not learn from him.

Just to insure that we are clear on this; I did not see the Biu Tze and pole and dummy I was taught them. I was also taught seven sections of Chi Sau. Also my training was mostly one on one with my Sifu not in a group environment. Maybe I did not "learn" it to your specifications but I will take personal training with my Sifu over group training most days of the week.

Since leaving WT I have been able to study and train with others. I have tried to learn from them and look beyond my preconceptions. While I am far from the best I would hope I am safe in saying I am far from the worse . If you wish to make accusations regarding the time I spent or what I learned I would ask that you verify your facts first. While I have been know to make mistakes I do not intentionaly try to mislead others in order to build myself up.

Peace,

Dave

SIHING 73

I was also taught seven sections of Chi Sau.

I suppose the 7 Chum Kiu sections. What about the Biu Tze? There are 4 nowadays in the LT system and 1 section consisting of all the variations. Although I think Alan Fong teaches only one (traditional) large Biu Tze section consisting of all the five modern sections.

Alan Fongs pole is superb (I heard).

T.

UltimateFighter,

Before you call someone a liar check your facts.

as a couple of others have mentioned, the WT curriculum is highly mobile. The HK guys learn through the weapons way earlier than the Europeans. My understanding is that Allan Fong had the whole system when he was touring Europe as LT's assistant in the mid-70's. Leung Ting has, at various times, taught bits of the knife footwork and pole exercises in seminars. Biu Tze mechanics are taught in KK's old 4th and 5th lat sao programs. Yup gherk and bong gherk (and the idea of chi gherk) used to be the provenance of wooden dummy.

Later,

Andrew

UltimateFighter,

Before you call someone a liar check your facts.

as a couple of others have mentioned, the WT curriculum is highly mobile. The HK guys learn through the weapons way earlier than the Europeans. My understanding is that Allan Fong had the whole system when he was touring Europe as LT's assistant in the mid-70's. Leung Ting has, at various times, taught bits of the knife footwork and pole exercises in seminars. Biu Tze mechanics are taught in KK's old 4th and 5th lat sao programs. Yup gherk and bong gherk (and the idea of chi gherk) used to be the provenance of wooden dummy.

Later,

Andrew

hunt1

The Yip Chun influence over WT the last few years in amazing alot has changed since some Germans were exposed to Yip Chuns methods it seems.
    What are you saying

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

thatz what it boilz down to WT iz the only FORMAL training i took so i can't speak on any other school but what i DON'T like iz that you have to spend more money the more you move up in levels
    [??? iz that a common practice in schools?]

i'm not even a good enough WING CHUNER 2 realy speak on what's what but i know a BUSINESS when i see it i saw that....

IF I WANTED 2 MOVE UP IN WT I WOULD HAVE TO..............

A-pay more $$$$$

B-teach., which means i would have to preach the WE'RE THE BEST SCHOOL gospel [i don't believe that]

.................................................. .................................................. .....

i found it [WT] kind of CULTISH....BUT............................the little bit i learned helped me hang with TAE KWON DO heads,ESCRIMA/ARNIS heads,JUDO headz,and a bunch of other improv sparring sessions with other disciplines my wife as well learned alot so i guess it'z worth the $$$$$$..if you have it

BUDDAH FIST broke down alot of the politics that'z going on right now .....I'M GLAD I'M NOT APART OF THAT

seems like they try tto keep you down
    EG....BAZTEPE? [did i spell that right?] how iz some one like that going to be kept at a certain level? if he can't move up who can???

any wayz thatz longer of a reply then i wanted to leave

PEACEnRESPECT

tron
    [ol skool popper]

ps
    LEUNG TING IZ LIVYN LARGE so the more students he gets the fatter his castle getz

I agree that there is a 'cult' like nature of WT. Leung Ting and Kernspecht are almost seen as deities by some of their followers. The political **** is very off putting. That is one of the reasons I was dubious of joining at the begining. Almost no one has ever any bad words about the top guys or the system. Even to question their ideas is severely looked down upon. I still think that the system is probably best branch of wing chun, but I don't get brainwashed. The split by Boztepe was good in a lot of ways. It shows that people will not put up with Kernspechts arrogance and shows that they do question the system.

As far as I am aware, Boztepe never learned the Knife form whilst in WT. That shows how info is kept back. If the most famous Wing Chun/Tsun fighter in the world does not even learn the complete system, it shows the 'secretive' nature of it.
    FCF: So, who will you be facing at the next PRIDE event?

'It doesn't matter who the opponent is, I expect to win by knockout'

-Vanderlai Silva

Originally posted by UltimateFighter
    If the most famous Wing Chun/Tsun fighter in the world does not even learn the complete system, it shows the 'secretive' nature of it.
    1)..."secretive" is an understatement!
    2)...For witch fights is he the "most famous Wing Chun/Tsun fighter in the world"?...Apart the W.C. thing?...
    3)...Quite a few members of this forum do know the complete system.There are no secrets in Wing Chun with a Sifu willing to teach when the student is ready to learn more. If you have to endure humiliations,serve a cult,pay LOTS of cash or lick ass to advance in Wing Chun or any martial arts....Go see somebody else!

Tron,

the money thing has gotten out of control with some people in Wing Chun as a whole and WT in particular. Nonetheless, if you want to advance in WT, you pay your monthly school fee, and drop $20 to test each SG 1-6, $40 for 7-12, and a couple of hundred for your primary and d-license. Figure you can do two grades at a time and have to test at seminars ($80) your basic fees through primary are $1040. If you take a reasonable stretch and work 5 years to do your primary, and pay $80/mos for school fees, added to test costs, you'll drop $5540 over five years- a little over a grand a year, or approximately $25/wk.

$25/wk. On a hobby. Even my brokest friends, on food stamps and unemployment, used to be able scrape more than that together for beer and and pot.

Call around to some martial arts schools in your area and compare fee structures.

I'm perpetually amazed at those who expect not to have to pay to train.

As to the cultish thing- one of Simon Meyer's I presume?

Ultimate-

sifu and the knives. That's an interesting little saga. I'll hold my tongue. Suffice it to say that holding sifu back would be . . .uh. . . difficult.

Later,

Andrew