Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Animals And The Martial Arts

Animals And The Martial Arts

What would be the best MA to fight animals?

Bears: Can you kick them in the bollocks?

Elephants: Can you put Chin Na on a trunk?

Gorillas: Could a good MMA choke one out?

Thumbs up

All impossible so far.
    I think Iīve heard a story about some MA master (maybe some founder) who was put to a cage of two tigers and he killed them...yeah,right.
    Bears:if it is a half-bear like a raccoon,but whoīd like to harm such a magnificient creature anyway.Scary experiences show that even such a bear like brown bear may not stay at bay even if shot with an average firearm.
    Good thing bears are rather shy,accidents are a few and far between.It is said that polar bears are more agressive (and boy,are they impressive?) they are also the biggest race of bears.Some might deny about their level of offense though.
    Elephants:I sure canīt.
    Gorilla:Iīm a bit worried.
    The sunsetīs setting down.Lay me on the forest floor.

I do not necessarily stand behind all of the statements I have made in the past, in this forum. Some of the statements may have appeared to support a biased view of reality, and may have been offensive. If you are a moral person and were hurt by comments that I made, you can PM me about it and I will apologize if I find your cause reasonable.
    -FC, summer of 2006-

Talking

You wanna see for your own eyes what art is better against a bear go here....http://www.funvids.net/videos/Play.asp?Video_ID=134
    Let it download and watch. Enjoy!

Hyuk Hyuk!
    Last edited by Rorny Gracie; 08-29-2002 at 01:33 AM.

The traditional Russian methof of hunting bears did not involve guns. The equipment required was a long, sharp knife and a sturdy Y-shaped stick. If you use the stick to not allow the bear to get close enough to you to scratch you (while remaining on all fours) it will stand on its hind legs and attempt to "fall" on you - at this stage you quickly put the stick against its throat - wedging its head between the two top bits of the Y - you rest the other end on the ground. For a few seconds, instead of crashing down on top of you, the bear stays leaning on the stick. At this point you jump under the bear, stick the knife in nice and deep and open it up from nape to nave, and quickly jump back out.
    At this point the bear will usually lose interest in you - apparently they occasionally sit back and attempt to pgather the entrails that have fallen out of them with their front paws.

Oyama fought with bulls.
    "Extra inch, extra power." -Tarm Sarm

If i remember rightly the guy who killed the tigers was the founder of goju kai.

The story gose that he was a war prisoner and was locked in the cage with tigers to die....but he killed them.

In an interview with him i read he said that the tigers were not really well looked after and were only fed on bean curd for months and had teeth falling out ect......so not that much of a fight then!!!!!!
    LOL.. really, what else did you hear?.. did you hear that he was voted Man of the Year by Kung-Fu Magizine?

MonkeyBoy Guest
    Originally posted by Sho
    Oyama fought with bulls.
    I have an Oyama book with that.

In it he kills one by striking it's head, taking off one horn in a clean blow. Bulls drive their horns up to gore and thus Oyama was dealing with a mostly predictable situation. It's series of picts and not tape or film. You can't be sure it's all cut and dry.

Personally, I don't know many who would stand there and let the bull charge

As far as the bear trick, American natives would carry long spears while waving torches or branches at bears to raise them on their hind legs. Bears "bear down" to fight and thus impale themselves.

Who wants to be the lucky Indian underneath a quarter ton of dying bear?

On the Serengeti children taunt male Lions with sticks and kill them with small spears. The males attack head on. They have less hunting/fighting experience than the females, are predictable and regularly dispatched.

How many of us as children in the East or West would let a Lion charge us and impale itself on a spear we held?

I have two short video clips of Oyama fighting a bull and striking its horn (can't see so clearly though).

http://www.bboyzz.com/~sho/files/OyamaBull1.avi
    http://www.bboyzz.com/~sho/files/OyamaBull2.avi
    "Extra inch, extra power." -Tarm Sarm

How about an animal we are much more likely to run across, a huge, p*ssed off rotweiller. Does anyone have any thoughts about fighting one of them bare handed if you have to? Do you try to knock him out as he charges, try to choke him out and hope you don't get your arm chewed off?

What would the crocodile hunter do in that worst case scenario?

10. Thumbs up

I have seen a clip where Oyama fights a bull,it is a bit immature of him to kill a bear for show though.He was a real power striker.
    Liokault,oh well that explains it then,thanks.
    Iīve heard about that bear falling on stick thing,if you fancy Anthony Hopkins you may have seen his flick where they end up in the wild trough a plane crash (thatīs a fairly good movie,I think it was called "On the edge" or something classic like that)
    Iīve also heard of hunters/related going for the sleeping bears nest and stabbing it to death while itīs still drowsy (unfair).It could be that they use that technique here in Finland,or have used it.Shooting bears seems to be a frigging trend anyway,in here.

The sunsetīs setting down.Lay me on the forest floor.

I do not necessarily stand behind all of the statements I have made in the past, in this forum. Some of the statements may have appeared to support a biased view of reality, and may have been offensive. If you are a moral person and were hurt by comments that I made, you can PM me about it and I will apologize if I find your cause reasonable.
    -FC, summer of 2006-

Originally posted by Flattop Monk
    How about an animal we are much more likely to run across, a huge, p*ssed off rotweiller. Does anyone have any thoughts about fighting one of them bare handed if you have to? Do you try to knock him out as he charges, try to choke him out and hope you don't get your arm chewed off?

Why would you want your unprotected hands near his head unless he jumped at you? How about kicking the dog in the mouth? With your shoes it should make the hits harder and unless it can bite through them you'll vae lesschance of injury.

Here's a little trick I leanred when dealing with dogs that are bitting your hands or wrist. Take your hand and sove it doen the dogs throat. Trust me I've tried this many ties and it works perfectly. The dog will forget about biting you and gag on it. When the dog backs off stay on it and keep shoving it dow his throat after a couple of seconds take your hand out. It will think twice about trying to bite you.
    Last edited by NorthernMantis; 08-29-2002 at 09:57 AM.
    killer kung fu commando streetfighter who has used his devastating fighting system to defeat hordes of attackers in countless combat situations

Originally posted by Former castleva
    It is said that polar bears are more agressive (and boy,are they impressive?) they are also the biggest race of bears.
    I might be wrong here, But I think the Kodiak Brown bears Are usually bigger as far as height. I believe polar bears are bigger in weight because the amount they put on in the winter. This is just to my knowledge however.

I'm going to let JWTaylor answer the rotweiller question.
    I am nothing.

My sifu used to make us train with his dog. Dog was part Saint Bernard, and we had to play tug of war while standing on one leg. Trying to get in the door without letting the dog in was another good training exercise.

Cool vids of Oyama taking down the bull! That second one looks like he's about to do a palm strike to the top of the head, but it got cut short, so we can't tell if the bull went down or if Mas got bounced.

Originally posted by Flattop Monk

Dog: Punch straight down at the face. They will open their mouth to bite your fist; drive it straight down.
    Source: My friend's father, who was a postal carrier.

Crocodile? Not sure, but an alligator can be appeased by rubbing its belly. You can hold their mouth closed very easily, but you can't open it. Then you gotta turn them over so they're lying on their back. Watch out for the tail.
    Source: saw it done when I was a kid.

I bet you could KO a Giraffe if you had a decent ladder.