Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: University

well its a breeze for whoever asks lots of questions and can write:P

no seriouslly, its good fun if you end up with the right kind of people and teachers.
    you have your good times and no doubt the bad, especially when struggling to finish last min. assignments etc....as i am in the process of doing now:P

Journalism which is actually diff to media studies is quite good once you have establised which field you want to go into....ive decided i belong on the air radio more than television.

Psycology sounds interesting...its social right? perhaps i can be your first paitent cos im having a mental breakdown these days:s

Im at uni in Sydney Aust btw......so your going to manchester huh? sounds good. im sure youll fit in, u sound like you have a very cool attitude about it

plus your into martial arts right? def no problem, cos if we cant win academically we can always kick arse right?

Tae Li
    The difference lies in you.

"I understand now that fear is a normal reaction of the Human Body, so why fight it? Accept being afraid, but dont let it hold you back, keep moving forward and the light will shine at the end of the tunnel"
    -Tae Li.

well his girl calls him Dawood, but its up to him what he prefers from his mates.

Tae Li

"I understand now that fear is a normal reaction of the Human Body, so why fight it? Accept being afraid, but dont let it hold you back, keep moving forward and the light will shine at the end of the tunnel"
    -Tae Li.

maybe you should try studying some real subjects.
    All i wanted was some RICE CAKES! Now? WE MUST BATTLE.

LOL sharky, GREAT point. wel done! applaud sharky! lol

seriouslly, SHARKY! how ya doin man? geez i miss everyone here.

Tae Li

-Tae Li.

Mr Nice Guy... lol - just picked it coz i recently saw the old JC film by the name lol

i study graphic design/website design, resitting final year at the moment - hope all goes well Actually my Sifu lives in Manchester and i go up there when i can

yup it's true my gal calls me dawood (david in arabic), but u can call me whatever lol (preferably not any curses though! )

david aka dawood
    Peace is not the product of terror or fear.
    Peace is not the silence of cemeteries.
    Peace is not the silent result of violent repression.
    Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all.
    Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity.
    It is right and it is duty.

your girl calls you dawood?! wow. why would she call you that? hey maybe you can come c me if i go to manchester Uni! i'm sure youll be okay hun, just keep it up. and you'll do just fine x
    Last edited by Kay k; 09-03-2002 at 07:36 AM.
    K

Hello fellas [and some woman too i would imagine].i did judo
    when i was 9 and10,and i can still recall two great take down
    moves that i sometimes use to wow and amaze pals.but
    some trouble ive seen and been in of late has had me search
    for a stand up art.the best ive seen is wing chun.
    however its a volatle art.is classical,modified,traditional,so and
    so never really studied with so and so.those are some of the
    comments i see a lot with wc.anyway,mr nice guy i was wondering
    since i was also a wolves uni dude,do you know of a wing chun
    club at wolvo [they have akido and jiu jitsu] and if not,do you know of anyone willing to give me a sort of intro class,without
    the politics.if you can help me out let me know.cheers.

hey, i'm not mr nice guy! david (dave, big D ) or dezhen is just fine lol

captain: theres quite a few WC clubs in wolves... my Sifu is actually up in Manchester so i don't train at any of the ones there. Birmingham has even more choice and there are some pretty good guys there. I honestly couldn't tell u the standard in Wolves as i only played chi sau with a few guys (and a few guys don't represent a school or teacher).

Politics does seem to rear it's ugly head now and then, but really if u just go and train it's not so bad. I'm lucky coz we just train. we know what we do and are happy with it, no superiority complex or anything lol I'd be wary of people who try to ram all their political stuff down your throat though, but u have to think for yourself... that's part of training

I know that the aikido club is actually pretty good, as i trained there for a while for fun (i did 5 years aikido before wing chun). It's pretty laid back and the skill takes a while to develop but the teacher has good skill. Jujitsu i never did but it looks fun and good training (i prefer aikido of course ) and the karate class is run by an excellent teacher.

Theres also Judo at a different campus run by an excellent coach who competed at top level before.

jeez - i sound like i'm promoting our Uni martial arts

If u wanna get in touch with me at Wolves, just drop me a line thru the forum or email me at dezhen2001@yahoo.co.uk I should be back there at the end of September... If u've done any WC before or just wanna meet up or whatever i'm sure we could arrange something

david
    Peace is not the product of terror or fear.
    Peace is not the silence of cemeteries.
    Peace is not the silent result of violent repression.
    Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all.
    Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity.
    It is right and it is duty.

Totally hijacking this thread...

...it's a funny ttt. This has nothing to do with that.

More young Chinese are getting a kick out of practicing martial arts
    Xinhua | Updated: 2023-03-22 08:28

Young people practice martial arts in Huangling village, Bo'ai county, Jiaozuo city, Henan province.[Photo provided by Cheng Quan/For China Daily]
    Lifting a spear, Li Jinqi pulled it across her shoulders and spun it quickly. Following her example, 10 peers in two rows wearing the same kung fu-style garments produced the same movements.

Li is a 24-year-old PhD student at Beihang University in Beijing, but she is more widely known on campus as a martial arts master.

Though very busy with research and coursework, the PhD student says that, over the past five years, practicing martial arts has become a daily routine.

She has studied various styles, including boxing, swordplay, and the cudgel, and won several cross-campus martial arts competitions held in the capital city.

She also led the university's martial arts club, which has grown from a team of two participants to over 30 active members.

Having performed at the graduation ceremony for three years in a row, Li says the club is now one of the most popular on campus in terms of recruitment.

"Martial arts has seen a significant uptick on campus, and I heard that my middle school and high school have both opened martial arts courses," says Li.

Gao Xiaoya, a junior student majoring in electronic information engineering at Beihang, who also joined the martial arts club, shares that she draws inner peace and strength from the sport.

Gao is among an increasing number of young people who were first attracted to martial arts as a way to keep fit, but who found their enthusiasm grew when they realized the benefits stemming from the traditional values and culture the sport embodies.

"You start to appreciate it more and realize that martial arts are full of philosophical views on how to combat challenges and be confident, while also being modest," says the 21-year-old.

On China's video-sharing platform Bilibili, short videos on topics of traditional Chinese culture, such as martial arts, hanfu (a traditional costume), Peking Opera, and calligraphy often receive legions of likes and comments.

"The fast development of the internet and social media also facilitates communication about traditional Chinese culture, enabling young people to have easier access to previously niche art forms," says Song Yu, an assistant researcher at the Institute of Sociology, Chinese Academy of Social Sciences.

Traditional culture also has no national or ethnic boundaries. In Central China's Henan province, the birthplace of Shaolin kung fu, global exchanges and interactions have taken place for years.

About 2,000 foreigners visited the 1,500-year-old temple to learn kung fu and experience Shaolin culture every year. Marta Neskovic from Serbia says, "I stayed for two and a half years, I love kung fu so much. Practicing kung fu is good for mental and physical health."

Wang Hechen, a designer in Beijing, takes courses on traditional Chinese painting every weekend. "It's like a comfort zone for me to escape from my fast-paced work, while painting also helps improve my endurance and focus," says Wang.

For Li, martial arts also means more than fitness training. "I don't think martial arts is about fighting," she says. "Martial arts is about finding the best version of yourself."

As younger generations attach more importance to traditional culture, relevant industries and services are expected to thrive as well, says Song.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart