Thread: Proper sparring equipment

Question Proper sparring equipment

My kwoon is about to start contact sparring...and I was told to purchase some sparring equipment. What would be sufficient for protection, or what is the norm in sparring appearal?

Thanks in advance

Hi Ryan,

Basic equipment is gloves, boots, headgear, mouthpiece and cup. Some schools also require chest/torso padding during sparring class, but they often provide that (they just buy a couple of chest pads and everyone shares).

If you're a beginning martial artist I recommend wearing the chest padding for a little while, until you can defend pretty well, even though it's bulky and annoying. (I only have one kidney so I have to wear the wraparound torso padding no matter what, which sucks.)

Gloves: get sparring gloves that allow you to open and close your hand easily, in case you do more than just punch.

Boots: these just fit over your bare feet or kung fu shoes.

Headgear: essential, don't assume you're avoiding brain damage just because you're only sparring, you could get dumped on your head or go against the "jerk who wants to prove something" who goes all out.

Mouthpiece (or buy headgear with a facemask built in): Unless your girlfriend thinks you'd look sexier with no front teeth, or with a punctured tongue from an uppercut that snaps your jaw shut.

Cup: I've seen guys in sparring class who skip the cup because they think they're tough. It's funny when they're lying on the ground, crying. Yup. Hilarious.

If you can't afford anything else, get the cup and the mouthpiece. You might be able to share a friend's pads, but I don't think he'll share his cup.

oh yeah -- cost of all that basic equipment is over $100.
    There is a great streak of violence in every human being. If it is not channeled and understood, it will break out in war or in madness. ~Sam Peckinpah

Sorry, I don't wear any protective equipment when I spar. I spar full contact. That, however, does not mean I am any good
    "We are not the first/
    who, with best meaning/
    have incurr'd the worst"

King Lear

Thanks...I appreciate the information.
    This may sound really stupid, but I have a hockey helmet with a mask that would probably be sufficient for class. Do you think this would be acceptable? If so, that will lower the cost of equipment considerably.

I would get gear specificly for the sport as it shouldn't cost too much. BTW, facemask or not, get the mouthguard. an upper-cut without one inside a facemasked helmet will still crack/break teeth. I wouldn't worry too much abou the foot boots. & the loves should be something you can do your techniques in; not just "point-box".
    How many identities does a Troll need?
    Didn't think I knew did you??
    I know a lot of things.
    You won't like me in person either.
    Confused?? Don't be.
    LOL!

Thank you, I will definately buy a mouthpiece.
    I'll be starting work pretty soon, soon the helmet will be no problem regardless of price. I'm guessing $40ish? The chest guards seem expensive. Does anyone know any good websites with this equipment?