Thread: Pushing Hands, Chen and Yang's clippings

Pushing Hands, Chen and Yang's clippings

http://www.nytaichi.com/other_video.htm

Scroll to the lower half and compare Zheng Man Qing's pushing hands with Feng Zhiqiang. Also check some of Chen Xiao Wang and Master Fan or Tan (?). Can you identify him and his Chen's style.

Very interesting.

Shame

they've missed some really good clips of Cheng Man Ching when he Peng's out a pupil about 20 foot from a near stationary position from that Taiwanese footage.
    " Don't confuse yourself with someone who has something to say " - The Fall

" I do not like your tone/ It has ephemeral whingeing aspects " - The Fall

" There are twelve people in the world/ The rest are paste " - Mark E Smith

Those first clips where the guys are ... uh ... well, whatever they're doing, it's not very pretty. State of Push Hands.

The rest is all right, though.
    "Once you get deeper into the study of Kung Fu you will realise that lineage and insulting others become more important than actual skill and fighting ability." -- Tai'ji Monkey

"Eh, IMO if you're bittching about what other people are doing instead of having intelligent (or stupid) conversation about kung fu or what your favorite beer is, you're spending too much time exploring your feminine side." -- Meat Shake

I've seen the CMC push hands footage - and without wanting to start a flame war I didn't find them that impressive. He steps into his students centre each time he pushes for one thing.

Bob

Fair enough shout Bob, but there is nothing wrong with invading someones centre its a legitimate move to make to bounce someone out. I mean thats how Cheng gets some of the distance that he does from some of the video. Although the bit with the bald headed Hsing-Yimaster when he's pushing hand swith him is good even though he doesn't get that much of a purchase on him at times, if you've seen the whole video.
    " Don't confuse yourself with someone who has something to say " - The Fall

" I do not like your tone/ It has ephemeral whingeing aspects " - The Fall

" There are twelve people in the world/ The rest are paste " - Mark E Smith

The fourth one down is master Ren Guang Yi he won the heavy wieght champion ship. He teaches chen tai chi in nyc. Those clips are from end of the, End of The Centuty Fifth International Chen Village Tai Ji Push Hands Competition.

I wish I could test Cheng Manqing's hands myself.

I guarantee you that I will NOT jump when pushed the way Feng Zhiquan did.

Hi RAF,

Clips 6 & 7 are of the Master Pan Wing Chow who studied with Chen Fa Ke in Beijing during the early 1930's. He and Hong Jun Sheng were originally students of Wu style Master Liu Mu San (http://www.geocities.com/Eureka/4189). His student, Paul Chou, has a website at http://www.chentaichi.com/. His Chen style is played very softly compared to most of what is seen today. Interesting enough, Feng Zhi Qiang, who started with Chen Fa Ke in the mid 1940's, states in an interview:

"The recent years showed some phenomena that were not present when I was learning Taijiquan. Most of practitioners show a lot of Shaking Power. As I already said, the better the skill the smaller the shaking."

http://www.chinafrominside.com/ma/ta...interview.html

Thank you Eightgates.

The flavor of the form comes very close to what I do and its rare to see that (Chen Qingzhou and Chen Quanzhong are also favorites of mine in flavor).

Your last statement is very interesting and I think I agree with it.