Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Wing Chun Style that comes from Leung Jans Son Leung Cheun

A Wing Chun Style that comes from Leung Jans Son Leung Cheun

This style of Wing Chun is said to come from Leung Jans son Leung Chun . Its lineage is Leung Jan , Leung Cheun, Chung Mei , and Chung Yuk Kwai of New York City . here is the website
    http://www.webspawner.com/users/mywingchun/

Unhappy

Do you train firehawk? Becuase it seems like you just ask a million beginner questions all the time.

urban tea

I try to train the best that i can but i have to have a bunch of surgerys that keep me from going to the Ving Tsun Museum to learn Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun wich is the art i hope to be learning as soon as i have these four surgerys that i have to have at the moment i am not aloud to lift over ten pounds at all one thing is good i just found out that the tumor on my lung is not cancer and i dont have tobe checked again for that for 9 months . So i ask alot of questions and read and watch Wing Chun videos alot of the time . I am just practiceing short drills from the K. T. Chao books Secret Techniques of Wing Chun and other books but i would rather be learning Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun but at the moment that is not possible .

Fire hawk basically roams...

bwahahahaha

Well Firefowl i assume it looks William cheungs since Cheung learned the secret leung jan WC from Ip man who learned it from Leung bik.
    So i wonder, since William Cheungs WC came from leung bik, why doesnt his WC look any thing like Koolo WC? Or at least it would look like leung jans straight body WC
    salvation is only one punch away

Hi Firehawk,

Boy, I wish I had a message board I could have asked all these questions on back in the day! LOL!

This is the third group I've heard of teaching 'Leung Chun' WCK. There was another group, also in NY, I think, and one in Australia (BG - They looked like Yip Man, not like William Cheung).

Who knows? In the crazy world of Chinese MA 'stories' and all the equally bizzare legit stuff that pops up, it would take a bit of work to figure it out, and thusfar these groups haven't devulged much in public.

FWIW - In China, Leung Chun is almost unanimously across the lineages said to have a) not done much WCK or not been very good at it, b) have been sickly/mentally challenged, and/or c) died during childhood. Politics may factor into those stories, so they should be treated with equal amounts of salt.

RR

He lists several of his students on his website. After training at one of their schools a few years ago, I can honestly say it wasn't too impressive. Kind of debunks the "mythical" quality of Leung Jan wing chun as far as I'm concerned.

Talking Hmmmm

Well after all he lists the redoubtable Todd Shaun Tei as an instructor, who I believe has video tapes put out by TCMedia aka Kung Fu/Qigong magazine! Talk about six degrees of separation.

From my lips to your eyes...

Todd doing his Lueng Chun Wing Chun

Originally posted by x-ray
    He lists several of his students on his website. After training at one of their schools a few years ago, I can honestly say it wasn't too impressive. Kind of debunks the "mythical" quality of Leung Jan wing chun as far as I'm concerned.

Hi Firehawk, Rene etc
    As one of the 'Aussie Leung Chun Folks' i thought i might add to this line.
    As Rene mentioned there is an Australian WC line which claims lineage from Leung Chun of which i am a member.
    Actually i must give thanks to you Firehawk for finding the Website of Sifu Chung in NY as i havn't been able to find anyone else claiming LC lineage.
    FYI the Style was bought to Australia in the mid 70's by Sifu Junno Chung and the School ran till the mid 90's when it closed.
    There is a website which is still running at [URL=www.spin.net.au/~daver/kungfu/]
    Incidentally, if you have a look at the family tree my line actually acknowledges Sifu Chung's teacher Chung Mei which adds a little weight to both lines.
    Might even drop Sifu Chung in NY an email and say g'day.
    Regards
    Glenn Richards

This is actually very interesting.....I just found this thread. I knew about the website of the "Jan Style Wing Chun" guy, but I had no idea that there were people in Australia as well who claim that lineage AND have "Chung Mei" in both Lineage trees.

So, could it be that there is something to this lineage? Could it be that this lineage did come form Leung Jan's son?

If nobody can comment....should I go and check them out here in NYC?

Anyone in New York know them? The guy says he's been teaching since 1974, so maybe some "oldtimer" New Yorkers have seen him or met him or at least heard about him?

Glenn Richards, did you get to email this guy?

Hmmm...while I am at it...anyone else met "Mr. Chow", who is a student of Yiu Kay? (I met him in 2001)

Mustafa (extremely curious today...hehe)
    Come and join the fun: http://www.yongchunguan.com

Hi Mustafa
    I did try to email Sifu Chung......... quite a while ago and had no luck. Got a "not delivered reply".
    Just had a look at the Todd Shawn link and it doesnt look like anything we do.
    Regardless of the Leung Chun Lineage being real or not i am interested in the Chung Mei link.
    Any info out there folks?
    Glenn

HI Glenn!

Todd Shawn Tei claims to have learned from "a student of Yip Man" (no name mentioned) and also "Yip Chun and Yip Ching"....that's as much as he says about his lineage. No mention of Chung Yuk Kwai. He does have a link to his website though. That's about it. So, no wonder his stuff doesn't look like anything you're doing.

Glenn, would you know if there is anyone in China (Fatshan) who could verify the lineage independently from this guy in NYC?

I'll see what I can do to find him....

Take care,
    Mustafa

Hi Mustafa
    My only contact would be my Sigung, Junno Chung.
    Unfortuanetly he retired from teaching about ten years ago and i don't know how to contact him and in fact i never met him.
    Sorry i can't help
    Glenn

So...NOBODY else knows ANYTHING about this guy?? Not even people in New York? Hmmm....weird.

Glenn....doesn't your sifu know what your Sigung is doing now? There has got to be some trail to this lineage, unless your sigung and this guy in New York are brothers, cousin or whatever and they "made it up" (not implying they did...but just thinking about the possibility). After all, they both have the last name "Chung", which certainly does not have to mean anything, considering how many others share that name.

Mustafa

Mustafa,

All you need to do it check out his curriculum! If you see stuff like YM Dan Chi, Luk Sao, the names Little Idea, Seeking Bridge & 8 Slash Knives versus Little First Training, Sinking Bridge and other stuff you know it is more likely not a style that hasn't come thru Yip Man.

Bloodgod,

Please list your name as my teacher would be curious to know who you are seeing how you state you trained with him for 12 years.

Regards,
    Jim