Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Wow. Interesting Internal Art Video Clips

Originally posted by Crimson Phoenix
    yes, the multiple attacker clip was nice...I especially like how he lightly kicked the guy in the foot near the end, and tripped him LOL

as for the water strider application, I just didn't like the way he pulled his arm all the way back to chamber his strike to the belly (I always look for short distance power). Anyway, his attack to the head, the one that sents the other guy's hair waving showed impressive control...

Overall, I think the clips are great...
    you mean after the head shot right?, what do you think if he threw a short elbow to the rib at the chamber point then snapped back slightly then hit the belly!?. at the moment i have no one to try it on but he prolly just left that hidden move out "the elbow" and just showed the basic example of the forms frame applied?.

the multiple attack clip looks funny if it were real, like three thugs attacking you and you just keep walking around them and slapping them in the face!...this would be a good Action-Movie Routine!.

Will this page have more clips up?.

Braden Guest
    Ford - I'm not sure there was an opening for a penetration step. He controlled both distance and level quite well, don't you think?

Sevenstar - I don't think the guy stopped driving. I think his driving was stopped.

Dunno, I need to watch the clips again (i'm at work now). But I remember this particular move made me go "uuuhhhhhhhh"...Even if it were an elbow strike, it doesnt' need to be chambered that way. You don't strike with the point of the elbow to the chest like you would "a la Muai Thai" to the temple. These types of linear elbow strikes strike can definitely be done in short distance power fashion, I seen it in white crane (we often use it), in the 4th palm of jiang rong qiao's bagua, and in other internal arts (I believe some call it "embracing the moon"). It's an elbow strike that is sent at the exact distance and placement Mr Su is, but it definitely isn't chambered so heavily. Also, it can indeed be followed up by a slap from the back of the hand to the midrif, but it would need a little stepping, whereas Mr Su stands still.
    It's the only thing I didn't like in the clips, that looked to me unrefined and unimpressive. The rest (control, reaction, stepping) was thoroughly enjoyable though...I need to watch the clip again to see if my mind changes on the second view...
    Risk 0 doesn't exist.

Braden Guest
    CP - Remember, he's trying to show a literal interpretation of the form he demonstrates on another clip. Had he made all the circles smaller, you might be happier with the application, but it wouldn't look as much like the form to most viewers.

Elbow

To my mind it doesn't really matter that he chambered the elbow, he was to his opponents outdoor and he had control of the arm. Why not take a good swing?

Braden, yes, possibly...I agree with your comment...I really want to check that clip again...in my first quick peek, it was that particular passage that made me think "faux pas" in the middle of all this good material...

Helicopter, yes, indeed...I guess it's just my conception of what higher performance is: short, rough and whipping strikes accompanied by quick and expert stepping. I just don't like guys who run around and swing like crazy...it's just me
    Risk 0 doesn't exist.

Braden,

Watch the slow-mo clip. He definately could have performed a penetration step. All the guy did was bound up and then bull rush in. His body was aligned all wrong. The other guy probably could have just pushed down on the back of his head to drop him to his belly since his weight was so far forward and angling down.

Like I said, it's a good way to practice self defense because that is what you are most likely to see out in the streets. I doubt anyone will be attacking you with a technically clean leg tackle. On the other side of dice though, one could say if you are good at stopping a clean leg tackle, then that one shouldn't be a problem. Who knows? Do both I guess. The guy looked pretty smooth in all the clips though. I was just critiquing that tackle.

I liked them all except the multipul attacker one.

That was set up right?

It seemed like everyone of his guys that got there before he was ready hesitated. That just kinda bothered me.

I liked the first two when he threw him on the ground. Those were real cool.I liked how he moved.
    IXIJoeKaveyIXI

If Wing Chun was a man, he would be The Man...

Jesus guys,

He's showing the application of the form NOT what he would do EXACTLY every time. He does chamber allot with the elbow but he also patty cakes off hands too much..who cares, watch him move, he knows wht he's doing and could easily switch up his techniques at will. Furthermore, the harder his uke's come at him, the harder he hits them..that is why they hesitate. We've all been there. Last time i came hard i got a mule kick in the nose..thank god for the cage. So now i take it slightly easier and get decked by straight jabs or Vasiliev hoooking hands.!
    Michael Panzerotti
    Taijutsu Nobody from the Great White North..

To be fair it's very difficult to show multiple attack realistically. For one thing everyone will come in at once pretty mcuh and for another if you are serious about defending yourself you have to really hurt people. That's difficult to simulate in a demo or training environment.

I did think the students were being "nice", but thought that the guy did move well. At least he didn't get into a "combat stance" and have them come in in a line ;-)

Braden Guest
    Helicopter - Because, as I said, he was demonstrating a literal interpretation of the form. Which what you suggest isn't.

Ford - What are Mr. Su's hands doing in the hypothetical where judoka gets a deep penetration step? It looks to me like, if judoka was any closer than he was, he'd have been hit and grappled by Mr. Su. You do notice judoka's lead foot is being swept as he tries to enter, right?

students being nice? That's a critique you could use of any multiple attackers demo, especially systema. More than likely the harder they go in the harder it would be for them to get up after.

Personally i thought he looked great. Moved very similar to guys in systema. Indeed similarities to many arts.

Braden,

I really don't want to drag this on as I was just offering my unbiased opinion as somebody with grappling experience. I wouldn't even had said anything if it was not asked. If you want to believe it was a valid entry, then so be it. I guarantee you that any wrestler will agree it was sloppy and akin to something you'd see from some drunk street thug. I've already explained a few reasons why it was sloppy. I know that I have a lot of experience defending and executing leg tackles on trained grapplers with striking involved. If I tried that, I'd be on my belly with punches being rained down on the back of my head. As I said, I don't want to drag this on, so this is my last post on the subject.

NA - that was kinda my point, as you say the harder they come in the harder they go down. After a while any student who's "suffered" will start to be nice ;-)

Thats' why I think multiple attack drills should primarily be about good movement, as in that clip, or for fear control