Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: wt and wc

WT INFO
    the areas where traing has changed is that the training is structured almost circuit training like, ie 20 minuted SNT and footwork 30 minutes techniques, 30 minutes lat sao 20 minuted pad work and 20 minutes chi gung also when learning techniques its 5 reps on each side then the partners go
    Gandolf 269
    I heard a rumour that the weapons are going to be intriduced earlier in the States have you heard anything about this
    regards
    Peter

Black & Blue

I think I have seen your instructor, I watched a class in Crawley leisure centre a few months ago, wears glasses ? used to teach at the King center in east grinstead ? I do know Alan Sawyer, I train in the same classes as him in fact, hes a top guy though very modest with it. I think I could be up for some extra training, maybe even a couple of others from the same classes as well. I am based in Reigate but travel to Crawley and East Grinstead for classes, so yeah if you organise something with Al I could be in it

Thanks
    Adrian

AdrianUK

Hi - yes, that's the chap... glasses... doesn't really look like a Wing Chunner (whatever we're supposed to look like ).

He's been training WC for 11 or so years (I think he started out in Jeet Kune Do originally). I may well have been at the class you saw as I try to get to Crawley as often as possible. I'm 5' 10'', brown hair, slim, probably the chap getting punched in the face!

Would be good to get together sometime and babble about Wing Chun and stuff. Alan sounds like a nice guy... he seems kinda busy these days, so I'm hoping his schedule will free up soon and then we can put on our pj's (as it were) and you can all witness my dubious Chi Sau

Just remember, as you guys are laughing... I'm stealing all your WT secrets In particular, I'm interested to see some of your WT Chi Sau sections (if you chaps don't mind showing).

Duncan
    *There is no Rene. Understand that, then bend yourself.* Rene Ritchie

*I just meet what I would be if I wasd a hot women attracted to me* - Unity (posted on Kung Fu forum)

* You want more fight? (Jackie Chan)

PQS,

I read somewhere that EBMAS is going to start training weapons earlier, but I don't know this first hand so I may be (unintentionally) spreading rumors. My Si-Fu stayed with the IWTA-NA and his Sifu Leung Ting. The Leung Ting organization isn't changing the curricullum (at least not that I've heard).

Scuba Steve,
    First, I didn't take your post as WT-slamming, just some "to the point" observations/facts/questions. Is it true that HK WT clubs don't do lat sau?
    I think that the lat sau programs are effective for what they are intended for. Which is to teach you how to apply the techniques you have learned, in a controlled environment. Is it effective? Yeah! It teaches you not only applications of the hands and feet, but also you learn early on that the WT/WC/VT principles will work in your favor if you use them (ie - that you can stand toe to toe, while someone bombards you with punches and that you won't get hit as long as you maintain the centerline). Is it more effective than other drills used by other schools? I don't know, but I would guess probably not. They're just a different way to hammer a point into your head (no pun intended). After you've learned several different Lat Sau programs, you start throwing them all together and it ends up being, what I think of as, controlled sparring (if there is such a thing). I did this last night with the senior sihing in my class for 10 minutes (seemed like an hour) and it was very educational, if you catch my drift. Didn't get my ars kicked, but thank God he has the control he does, or I would of ended up flat out a couple of times Lat Sau is not real sparring or fighting, but a drill to help you in the application of Wing Chun.

just passing by

Well seing that we are all crazed vikings here in Denmark there is a lot of physical training going on. apart from your standard technic training, we also do a lot of lat sao, circle training and various other forms of sparring.

I think one of the reasons why there is so much conditioning here, is that a lot of the mid+ level students and instructors in the WT center (Scandinavian HQ) are bouncers or ex fighters from various other martial arts. They have kinda brought back the toughness which in my view was lacking a few years back.

As for the standard of the danish WT, I believe its pretty high. We are fortunate to have some very dedicated top instructors who are able to pursue WT as a career.
    At the same time there is a lot done about educating the new instructors. That means you need to reach a good theoretical as well as practical skill level before you are let loose on your students.

Last but not least, if you live around copenhagen, you will be able to train daily from morning to evening in the WT center. That in it self will off cause produce some very good practicioners.

Well enough promoting

Good night and happy training

Hey Jesper,

are you Pere Hansen's si-hing? He moved to LA about 4 years ago, used to do escrima tournaments a bunch in Denmark? If so he's heading back to Denmark in a month or so, and was looking to catch up with you.

If yes to the above, we have some friends from Finland in common, too.

To me, Denmark is perhaps the best example of how to teach, train, and grow a WT organization. Y'all have done a lot of things very right.

Later,

Andrew