Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hey Gene and China people

Hey Gene and China people

A few questions for anyone who has been to China:

1/ Do they have milk, as in cows milk? Never seen a picture of a cow in China.
    If not, what other sources of protein are there in a typical Chinese diet?
    Feel free to expand on the Chinese diet if you want to!

2/ I got the impression talking to someone a while back that if I can't find any Gongfu or Taiji teachers in my locality there will probably be some Chinese kickboxing at the university or whatever. That sounds a bit scary, and I'm nervous, because I know I'll have to give it a go if that's all there is.

Am I right to be scared? After the first year of beatings will I come back to England a bad-a$$ if I stick it out?

Thanks for your time, and sorry for being a dumb arse.

And no I don't know where I'm going yet. Won't know until mid October.

Scotty 1

You'll be fine in China. What city will you be in?

There is plenty of soy milk, pork dishes, fish, every imaginable vegetable, lots of protein.

My Chinese friend, who is a teacher in Jinan, Shandong Province, eats Yogurt everyday as part of her weight loss diet. She is trim and in great shape.

You can find milk, too!

I can't wait to go back to Beijing--and other cities.

If you are on a tour, you will do fine. On your own, you'll still do fine.

TCM & Milk

All TCM Doctors will probably of told all their patients not to drink dairy milk due to its high Damp inducing qualities, so soy milk is what you will most likely find instead. There are most certainly good Taiji teachers around and you will find their schools not in any fancy building. If you want to find the real macoy goto the hospitals where they probably work by day in the Qi-Gong clinics or even better goto the local parks that is where you will fins the best teachers.
    " Don't confuse yourself with someone who has something to say " - The Fall

" I do not like your tone/ It has ephemeral whingeing aspects " - The Fall

" There are twelve people in the world/ The rest are paste " - Mark E Smith

Don't you think drinking cowmilk is disgusting? Since cowmilk is produced by cows and is meant for calves, it contains blood cells of cows.

Sorry for the racket, but it is a bit disgusting in my opinion.
    "Extra inch, extra power." -Tarm Sarm

Millions of children all over the world receive important sustanance daily from drinking cow's milk. I find it hard to believe it's bad for you.

got milk?

You can find milk in China but it's not popular - most Chinese are lactose intolerant. What I really miss when I'm there is cheese. Chinese can't stand cheese. But there's lots of protein to be had from vegetables and meat. Lots of soy stuff - weird products that we don't have here - quite good some of them. I often drink a lot of almond milk when in China for that protein boost when training.

China loves foreigners who come to train for more than a few days. You'll do great. And if you take it seriously, you probably will be a bad a$$.

Let us know where you're going and we might be able to give you a liitle more help.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Uhh I know this is off topic but lately these hormones have been getting the best of me.

How are the chics over there? I've seen some real hotties from Beijing.
    killer kung fu commando streetfighter who has used his devastating fighting system to defeat hordes of attackers in countless combat situations

watch out 4 the prostitutes.. no ****
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

I were in beijing this summer.. amazing. I have a lack of words to describe it. You simply have to go there Oh and remember to bring toilet paper.
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

Thanks everyone, I'll be straight on here when I know where I'm going.

And I didn't know vegetables had protein in them.

Sho - no I don't.

Hi,

1. I drank alot of some stuff I think was milk. If my memory don't fails me there was at least a cow on the bottle.
    However with my non-existent knowledge of the chinese language it could as well have been some other stuff, although I fail to see the reason to put a cow on the bottle then.
    It didn't taste like milk, but it was sweetened, so that might explain it.
    I remember searching for protein-supplements in china though....Mental note: Don't ask chinese weight-lifters for something to make you stronger

2. Yepp, u can find training in the sports-universities....I've no idea how common this is, but it is possible. Where I was, there was contemporary wushu and chinese kickboxing.
    I think you should talk to a lot of people when you are in china, and ask them where you can find good training.
    And definitely talk around with university students to see if you can find a place to stay.
    Perhaps you can get to share a dorm room, or get your own.

The thing that I found cost alot when travelling around in china is living. You don't wanna pay hotel fees for a year.
    If you find your expenses rising, I would definitely advice you to talk to some university students, and talk to them about getting a room at the university.
    One more thing... don't forget to pick up a travel guide...I used lonely planet, and I found it excellent

Disclaimer: I only trained contemporary wushu for 2 weeks in china and i SUCK at it

lol my ex was from Beijing wha't sup with the prostitutes?

Trust me the ones that I saw weren't prostitutes.
    killer kung fu commando streetfighter who has used his devastating fighting system to defeat hordes of attackers in countless combat situations

I actually saw NO prostitutes in the streets. ( And we lived in the seedy parts of the city) No they came to the hotel were we stayed offering "massage" but that wasn't all u got. Some of my co-travelers where quite surprised

protein to prostitutes?

It used to actually be illegal for Chinese to have relations with foreigners (not even bringing up the legality of prostitution.) I'm not sure if this still stands, but it was the sort of law that was only invoked if someone was out to get you. That's communism for you. Now things are pretty open, and as a bizarre result of the one child policy, there are lots more guys than girls, which makes prostitution pay really well. Of course, the hidden dragon here is STD, of which China does not admit. Be wary. Also, it's worthy of note that there is a tradition of bar girls, not unlike japanese geishas, they are not necessarily prostitutes. The modern incarnation hangs out in bars and teases you to buy more drinks, then magically disappears when you are walloped with a massive bar tab.

Zbloff: LOL. That cow story, I know just what you mean.

scotty1: Soy beans are vegetables, packed with protein. There's so many different kinds of soy products in China, drinks, foods, etc, not just tofu. That's one place where they are far ahead of us.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart