Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Donnie Yen in BLADE 2

Donnie Yen in BLADE 2

I just saw that movie the other day and Donnie Yen was in it!!
    It this his first American movie ? I heard that he tried out for "Dragon:The Bruce Lee Story" but didn't make it. Probably because of his english because Jason Scott Lee's kung fu doesn't compare!

Any new U.S. movies that Yen is coming out in? Looks like it will be him, Jet, Sammo, and Jackie representing HK.

Isn't Donnie Yen the son of Wushu Master Bow Sim Mark? If so she's been in the U.S for as long as I can remember (over 20 years?). Did Donnie grow up in HK or something?

Donnie Yen speaks better english than most of us… and yeah that's his Mom… and I think his first US movie was Highlander: Endgame or whatever it was called…

suntzu's right.

as for donnie yen's first american film, not sure. but he was in endgame. and that did come out considerably before blade 2.

here's my problem: they keep unceremoniously killing him off in these movies. i understand the dilemma. he's a complete badass. as much as i like wesley snipes, donnie yen is simply in a different class.

still, they could've at least shown him putting up a fight in either of those movies. the guy rocks.

stuart b.
    When you assume, you make an ass out of... pretty much just you, really.

Yes Bow Sim Mark is Donnie's mom. He was born in NYC but grew up in Hk i believe.

I recall someone telling me that he saw a young Donnie at Bow Sim Mark's school. A little skinny guy walking around. Then Yen picked up a staff and went NUTS ON IT! He's "iLL"

Donnie is the man...far better than Jet Li to me...and he is completely under-used in all his american movies so far...
    Dunno, maybe in Shanghai Knights...yeah, I wish, gawd when I see him in Iron Monkey and OUATIC 2, it's a SHAME to have someone that talented at hand and give him Keanu Fu to do...
    Risk 0 doesn't exist.

i still like jet li a lot, but i think i agree with you that donnie is, in some ways, much more convincing.
    When you assume, you make an ass out of... pretty much just you, really.

It's not so much that he is 'underused', but he prefers choreography and directing...he was the fight choreographer for Blade 2, and he just made a little cameo. It would be nice to see him starring in some more action movies, though.
    "I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udun! Go back to the shadow, you cannot pass!"

I saw Endgame a couple of nights back and was pleasently surprised when Donnie appeared. Then pretty p!ssed off when the head bad dude just lops off his head. I mean really!

A list of Donnie's work is at imdb.com.
    Adam Stanecki - Practitioner of common sense.

"Think for yourself. Question authority." - Timothy Leary

Fluid Fitness - www.fluidfitness.com.au
    Dominance Mixed Martial Arts - www.dominance.com.au

Thumbs up

If I had to pick between Jet li or Donnie yen I would go with Donnie yen hands down!..... Not to take anything away from Jet li but Donnie is in a league of his own without a doubt one bad ass!....

Peace
    RAYNYSC

I'm gonna say that Jet is better at kung fu. Jet is more loose. I find Yen a bit tense, maybe because he lifts weights.
    Why do I say this? I saw this one chinese movie "Jing Mo " and Donnie was doing a northern shaolin set in there. It certainly looked good but his shoulders could be more loose.
    This movie was one of those 20 chapter soap operas.

Bg ut I would say that Donnie would win in a fight because his style is more mixed like Jackies. Looks like he did some judo, tkd, boxing.

In the end, both of these guys are way up there, none of those beijing wushu guys can even touch these guys at all.

I became a donnie yen fan after seeing highlander end game...beautiful kicks!
    A

Iron Monkey

.... seen a few donnie Yen movies, but liked Iron Monkey best....

June

Donnie Yen

I'm pretty sure Donnie Yen was born in Boston but went back to HK. He is the son of Bow Sim Mark(sp?) The first film I saw him in was Highlander: endgame. He is awesome. Then I saw him in Blade 2. Then I realized that I gotta see some of his HK movies so I got In the Line of Duty 4 and Legend of the Wolf and Iron Monkey.

Watch for him in Shanghai Knights as Jackie's main adversary in the last fight scene. Can't wait. And Hero w/ Jet Li
    Last edited by lotusleaf; 09-12-2002 at 01:30 AM.

Originally posted by urban tea
    Yes Bow Sim Mark is Donnie's mom. He was born in NYC but grew up in Hk i believe.

I recall someone telling me that he saw a young Donnie at Bow Sim Mark's school. A little skinny guy walking around. Then Yen picked up a staff and went NUTS ON IT! He's "iLL"

We're both wrong it seems. On www.donnieyen.com he was born in Canton then moved to Boston where he became an american citizen and then moved back.

OOps