Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Style for small peeps!

Style for small peeps!

Thanks to you guys I have gained 150lbs due to lifting weights...but i have a friend who wants to train...he's 135lbs...I don't know what can he specialize in...grappling or striking! Any ideas...he's only 5ft 5inches. His reach is...well...no reach...lol. Obviously in the street I want him to stay standing even if he takes someone down...then a few boots to the opponent head will do...anyone teaches small peeps and observe what most specialize in???

Merry Prankster, RYU, guys???
    A

My Kali instructor isn't very big. Believe me you would not want to be on the receiving end of his knife/stick/limb.
    Your intelligence is surpassed only by your ignorance.

You are more likely to fall down the stairs and break your neck if you live in a house with stairs. You are more likely to be in a car accident if you drive to work. You are more likely to be kicked in the nuts or punched in the nose if you practicing the martial arts. - Judge Pen

I say Mantis. My Teach isn't even 5'5 I'd say. The style favours Smaller/more built people.

On the other hand Fencing isn't for him. He would lack reach, which would really suck for him.

TKD. . . Again, you're lacking reach

These are the only three that I can really give you a first hand opinion on.
    "We are not the first/
    who, with best meaning/
    have incurr'd the worst"

King Lear

Well, I'm 5' 8" and not too big either (67kg) and I handle myself pretty well doing SPM. My girlfriend is 5' 1" and she does the same style.

I've seen small people take apart big guys and the style hasn't made a difference. His short reach won't be a problem if he learns to move correctly. And remember the small guys/girls are always pretty fast. He should pick a style that he likes. Good luck to him.
    Adam Stanecki - Practitioner of common sense.

"Think for yourself. Question authority." - Timothy Leary

Fluid Fitness - www.fluidfitness.com.au
    Dominance Mixed Martial Arts - www.dominance.com.au

Angry

Dammmmmmmmmnnnnnnnnn the tall peeps....dammnnnnnnnnnnnnn the tall peeps to HELL!!! I will create SHORT FU!!!
    A

Wing Chun is a good one even if you arent tall. Its good for me because I have arms almost as long as people 3 or 4 inches taller than me.
    I have a signature.

I was thinking about teaching him some wing chun. And of course some grappling stuff.
    A

I'm just like this guy: 5'5", 135.

What he trains isn't as important as HOW he trains.

Technique, technique, technique.

well either mantis or xing yi. With the xing yi all he neesds to is just hit.
    killer kung fu commando streetfighter who has used his devastating fighting system to defeat hordes of attackers in countless combat situations

No expert here, but Xingyi would be my choice for a short guy with a short reach. However, to use Xingyi, really use it with devestating power--- will take more than a video unforunately. It will take years of practice, but the benefits are far more than just martial. Also, good Xingyi teachers are very difficult to locate across this country.

Wing Chun seems like it would work great since it also gets in close and infights.

A funny story to explain...
    I boxed a guy once, who I thought was a weak ****. He was about eight inches taller than me and I could whip his butt in a street fight. He was not even a boxer. This was just sparring. I am short and have short limbs. Thought I would easily destroy him from the outside. Guess what I learned REAL fast? I have to fight CLOSE to do anything. He stood back and poked my face until my eye-balls ached. I finally moved in close to get some relief and found I have leverage, although I despised in fighters at the time. I did great after sticking close. Opps.

135lbs? I'd suggest Track and Field.

Skill only makes up so much for strength. I'd suggest he hit the weights and learn groundfighting. There's too much of a chance to get hit with a lucky strike when standing. If he's on the ground, he's got a better chance of using the strength of his entire body against specific parts of his opponent's body (ie. arm bar, triangle choke, etc).

As far as a style of Kung Fu goes, I guess Wing Chun would be his best option because the art's focus was originally (according to legend) for women and consequently should be ideal for a 135 lb person, male or female.

I'd suggest weight training, and the quarter mile though.

Phrost, you definitely aren't 5'5" 135.

My female student, who's 5'2 and 110, nearly killed a 6'5" 300 lb would-be rapist a few years ago.

She bit, clawed, and stomped him to death (wearing heels). By the time the police pulled her off him, he was a bloody mess and was hospitalized for weeks.

She didn't study Wing Chun at the time, and she didn't study Hsing Yi. She didn't even do track and field, let alone weight training. But she did learn quite a few kung fu-type techniques from her father, who is an ex-military man. And that's what she unleashed on that attacker - and others who've been dumb enough to pick on her.

In the octagon or ring, the small guy is put at a nearly insurmountable disadvantage by the rules. But in the STREET, things are DIFFERENT.

Bare in mind that this Kung Fu stuff was all originally invented and perfected by rather short, light people.

I'm 5'9", 140 (if even that)...and I do Wah Lum. My Sifu is probably about 6 or 6'1" and probably about 170, but almost everyone else is pretty small. One girl is about 5'2" if she's lucky and could tear just about every guy I know limb from limb. I think the only thing he should stay away from is a heavily-grappling art. Any kind of Mantis/Wing Chun/Wushu should be just find for him.

******* knew how to wrestle!!! The guy was strong...fast shots too! But I tapped him over and over again. He has a good muy thai kick though. Mad power. Boxing hand techs is OK...found out he trained at JEFF SMITH's KARATE program...his grappling background comes from training with a wrestling program at some HS.
    A

What schools/styles does he live close to?