Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does the opposite sex dig your kung fu?

Blog Entries

Does the opposite sex dig your kung fu?

Just curious what experiences guys/girls have had telling prospective mates (in the literal sense) about their kung fu?

Seems like I get a lot of blank stares or disbelief.

Do you think it's an asset or a liability?

Hi there, my names Fu-Pow. I'm a Taurus and if you don't let me buy you a drink, I'll kick you in the head.

It's your approach Bro.
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

Blog Entries

Talking

chuckle, chuckle

I'll admit, I've used it a couple of times within the last week. Both times went over really well. They usually say something like, "Wow, that's pretty cool". Or, "Really? Maybe you can help me get into shape." One girl recently asked a whole bunch of questions about martial arts in general. Are their belts in your art? What style does Jackie Chan do? Is Bruce Lee in Rush Hour? I swear to god she was actually overheard asking someone that last one. I still can't believe it. Even still, she scored major points with me for either showing genuine interest, or faking it to get in good with me. Either way, I was impressed. But that Bruce Lee question......I dunno. (o:
    "We'll show him.....Chinese Boxing!"

I dont think the oposite sex knows about my kung fu.
    IXIJoeKaveyIXI

If Wing Chun was a man, he would be The Man...

It depends on the person. If the gal (or guy) you're interested in is also a martial artist, then there's no problem. She probably won't be impressed with you unless you're at least a little better than her, though.

Depends on what the girl is interested in...if she doesn't have enough in common with you to appreciate your martial arts (which is probably a big part of your life)...then you probably wouldn't be very good together anyways. Unfortunately, there are a lot of people that just don't get it.

Something that is a big part of your life should be addressed with any potential mate...you need to let her know what it means to you, and you need to know what she thinks about it...it could make a difference in a relationship. I'm sure there has been more than one martial artist that was 'dumped' because he(or she) was spending too much time training, and not enough time doing what the partner expected.

Depends, I've gotten mixed reactions. Some think I am the ****y kid from there 5th grade class that brought in my brown belt and did a form for show and tell. Some think that it is cool, ask a few questions, whatever. The girl that I am dating now I actually met in my school (kick boxing). So that always can generate good conversations, plus, when we go out, she likes to defend herself, which is fun because people don't expect that.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

Does the opposite sex dig your kung fu?

Mine thinks I'm a total Schmoe because I'm not doing "Kempo" instead
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

mine doesn't care about it all that much. she knows it makes me happy, and that's what's important to her.

yeah, i'm lucky.
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA

Women are idiots when it comes to MA. Let's leave it there.
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

opposite sex

This depends, entirely, on his / her age and background. Why wear all of your accomplishments like badges? Advertising your talents underlines your weaknesses.

Originally posted by rubthebuddha
    mine doesn't care about it all that much. she knows it makes me happy, and that's what's important to her.

yeah, i'm lucky.
    I'm luckier :P I met my wife-to-be (THIS SATURDAY.. EEEK!) in our kung fu class. I'd been taking the kung fu a little longer than her, and she's been taking the luk hup ba fa side of it longer than me... it's a good balance

It's a huge part of our lives... The best is having a girl who shares the same strong passion for an art that you do!

Hau Tien - Congratulations(?) : )

Since I've been involved in kung fu, I've often thought about the possibility of meeting a future signifigant other who shares my passion for the martial arts. Good ones are far and few between and the good ones that have at least enough knowledge about kung fu to know there is different styles are rarer still.

In response to the original question:
    I would say my confidence level in general has improved greatly since I began my martial training and thus, even if I never mention my kung fu, its working to my advantage .
    What's the matter, didn't see that one coming? : )

I would love to meet my soulmate at my kung fu school. There is also a cardiokickboxing class that attracts a lot of hot women. So maybe someday it will happen. (ha ha)

P.S. Congrats Hau Tien. Are you named after Bruce's character in the original script of Game of Death.
    "We'll show him.....Chinese Boxing!"

Well ill tell you that

the opposite sex that i am currently with Really digs MY kung-fu. and i aint talkin about my kicks.
    i got buchu jing ,,oh yes baby you know it .
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.