Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: San Shou Ignorance

ST sounds like a good seminar. I’m really glad Julio and Co are starting a team we need more. I would not say you stand corrected just updated. Be careful of Honeycutt’s elbow. He needs to get surgery on it but, he wont. It goes out of joint frequently but you know what a tough dog he is so he just works through it.
    "Information is power"

www.Boston-Kickboxing.com

Mr. Ross,

NYKK trains sanshou with knees because of the cross over of fighters into muay thai fights correct?

I think that it is a good thing. Fighting in both formats is good as well as using knees in self defense situations.

Do you ever have problems with your fighters using illegal techniques out of pure reflex? (ex. knee in san shou or double-leg in muay thai?)

We have links back to the "lei tai" or Kuoshu fights that had knees and also did them in traditional, we fight Muay Thai because we can knee, not the reverse (ie learned to knee so we could fight Muay Thai)

Richard Acosta picked up the Muay Thai champion of Uzbekistan over his head in his last Muay Thai fight, remembered it was a Thai fight, and put him down nice and gentle I still think the guy was crapping in his pants though after that

Speaking of the leitai, is it going away? Is there more pressure to have a flat ring w/line of boundary. In one sense I like the addded challenge and its historical value but as a judo player I've come to look at throwing and falling in a whole new way and I think its a very unneeded risk in a modern combat sport.

The thought of breaking my back on the edge of the leitai during a pickup makes me cringe.

I think that as long as the worlds are done with a Lei Tai and now the San Shou world cup is also, there will be lei tai competitions, in a way it is good, different kind of skill, making for more rounded San Shou athletes, sure, it's different, A LOT I think, but I still put my people on it a few times a year

You cant get rid of the lei tai....its fundimental!!!
    LOL.. really, what else did you hear?.. did you hear that he was voted Man of the Year by Kung-Fu Magizine?

my prediction, in 10 years they won't be using the Lei Tai anymore

racism

"Hey, look at me! I'm a Communist country that can hand-pick the people that fight here and we fought on Chinese soil with Chinese judges and hey, I forgot to mention we're a notoriously racist culture. And we WON those fights! Imagine that!"

The United States also has a notoriously racist culture.
    I do not racism against Chinese people.*

We have learned to ue both elbows and knees in my San shou class, and I keep wondering where we would get to use them (i.e. what rules format). My instructor was a professional fighter and so he used and teaches elbows, knees other knock out techniques that seem to be against the rules that I have seen. He hasn't really made a distinction between San shou and San da. Do different rules define the differences between them? He said they were the same thing.

I hear san shou is on TV in china quite a bit.

While there are certainly racist (both individuals and groups) with in the united states of America, we as a nation define our "superiority" by ideological and economical factor not race. Our diversity as a nation makes racism at a national level (conciseness) near impossible, as we can not define our selves by any one race.
    Last edited by SanHeChuan; 09-18-2002 at 10:31 PM.
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

The United States also has a notoriously racist culture
    Uh, yeah. Sure. Compared to what? I've been around a bit. We actually live in a pretty good society for that kind of thing. The things I've heard overseas about other races and ethnicities have made me blush. Ever heard about racism in Germany or France? These supposedly enlightened countries have just as bad--if not worse--problems. Those Serbs and Croats and Albanians really know how to get along--not to mention the tribal differences in Central Asia that span the boundaries of "the Stans." How about the Hakka, the Palestinians, the Jews. The Basques have had a grand time, as have the Ainu. Let's not forget the Armenians, who endured some of the worst atrocities in history.

Anyway, some points:

1. I already apologized for my bone-headed phrasing, and explained myself.

2. Pointing out that the U.S. only serves the "glass houses and throwing stones," aspect. It doesn't refute the original assertion. This has more to do with rhetoric, and nothing at all to do with whether or not I believe the statement to be true.

To reiterate: Mea culpa. I should have been choosier with my words, and was so in subsequent posting. Insular thinking was closer to what I was aiming for and happenned to choose a particularly ****-poor wording. Feel free to attribute it to a Freudian slip and execute some pop psychology to determine that I actually have a deeply held loathing of all non-WASP's and should be burned at the stake or hanged from a yardarm.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

MerryPrankster

Mr. Prankster, I would like to say that your erudition and integrity never ceases to amaze me.

And to think that you are a dry-humper too
    Your lineage may vary.

alskf

everyone in the United States is VERY race conscious. Black this, white that, asian...whatever. If we weren't all racist...why have this terms such as black? All of our presidents have been white males. The only time they have actors that aren't white are when the movies are heavily stereotyped such as Jet Li's stupid movies and Martin Lawrence.
    I do not racism against Chinese people.*

The problem I believe is the them and us attitude in general.
    " Better to be a warrior in the garden than a gardner at war."
    "Ni hao darlins!" - wujidude
    "I just believe that qi is real and good body mechanics have been masquerading as internal power for too long." - omarthefish

This may be a bitter pill, but rascism is a part of human nature. It has spanned every time period of history that we know about, and is rampant worldwide today in a modern society.

We must seek to diminish rascism, but it will always be there to flare up again.

It is not about color, but about differences. Humans distinguish differences naturally. Fat kids in school, ugly kids, kids with glasses, and any other things we can find. It does not change as adults. If color is the same, then it is social status, religion, education levels, income levels, sex, blue collar, white collar, types of cars, neiborhoods, etc, etc.

The same goes for tendencies towards envy, jelously, power, lust and greed. These things have to be restrained and controlled, but will not be eliminated completely.

That is why we are not dogs. We can control our instinctive traits.

Why has this thread turned to talking about racism? I belive that all most every one is racist to a degree but what has that got to do with san shou?

Also after a run in with the local christian chinese group my teacher has turned really anti chinese dispite me telling him it was because they were christian ant because they were chinese!!!
    LOL.. really, what else did you hear?.. did you hear that he was voted Man of the Year by Kung-Fu Magizine?