Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: for all of you that think bjjers dis all TMA...

for all of you that think bjjers dis all TMA...

Tonight, after class, a few of us were standing outside the gym talking. We had a long discussion about self defense techniques of various TMA. the only one they knocked was tkd, and they even said that the only reason they knocked it is because they know the tkd here sucks for the most part. They all actually wanted to cross train in aikido.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

What the he11 were you smoking?
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

Yeah, pass the bowl Seven*!

Seriously though, why would BJJer's want to X-train Aikido? I'm not knocking it, I'm generally interested in why.
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

i guess Good Aikido is like Good TKD - pretty rare

I know when i trained it, there were some Judo guys who came to my class coz they wanted to learn all the wrist techniques (not taught/banned in Judo i think?).

Also i found it teaches u quite a lot about how to be in the best position to do things (safest) and how to control someone pretty well...

i used to 'cross train' it with my Karate, Boxing, and MT Wish i had found it before any of those though - actually wish i had met my Sifu first

david
    Peace is not the product of terror or fear.
    Peace is not the silence of cemeteries.
    Peace is not the silent result of violent repression.
    Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all.
    Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity.
    It is right and it is duty.

At Carlos Machado's school there are people who have backgrounds in: Aikido,Aikijitsu,TKD,Karate,Kungfu,JKD,Kali,Judo,J apanese Jiujitsu,Etc.

I have yet to hear anyone talk about how other styles are crap or whatever.

Badger
    Justice, swift & raw. US Constitutional absolutism, a return to the American Dream based on the 10 Commandments, The Golden Rule, US Constitution & Bill of Rights, zero tolerance for bloodsuckers, criminals and evil.. Peace through superior firepower & tactical might, zero free rides, only the truly needy get jack****, Don't Tread on Me & Remember the Alamo muther****er

Me neither. In all my time training BJJ, I never once heard anybody make fun of another style. I see some people on here try to contructively criticize a training method, but then insecure people take it as a slight or an attack.

I'm offended by that statement!!!

Actually, members of my school have been comparing notes on ground fighting. We're all pretty much of the mind that it'd be great to work out with some bjj'ers or judoka, or what have you.

Over time, I've learned that most of the bashers aren't actually practitioners of much of anything, and it's good to question your art, you learn more that way. The good arts can stand up to such questioning, anyway.

Still, I'm outraged!!!

I would use a blue eyed, blond haired Chechnyan to ruin you- Drake on weapons

Thumbs up

Well thatīs a positive thread,thaks to you for that.

"They all actually wanted to cross train in aikido."
    Haha.I would love to see the cynics face when they hear that.
    Good thing to read that.
    The sunsetīs setting down.Lay me on the forest floor.

I do not necessarily stand behind all of the statements I have made in the past, in this forum. Some of the statements may have appeared to support a biased view of reality, and may have been offensive. If you are a moral person and were hurt by comments that I made, you can PM me about it and I will apologize if I find your cause reasonable.
    -FC, summer of 2006-

I know a guy who does both Aikido & BJJ.
    He says that the body movement in Aikido benefits his BJJ on the ground.

Kinda like using the trapping & sensitivity from Wing Chun on the ground to benefit your BJJ.

If it works for you more power to you.

Badger
    Justice, swift & raw. US Constitutional absolutism, a return to the American Dream based on the 10 Commandments, The Golden Rule, US Constitution & Bill of Rights, zero tolerance for bloodsuckers, criminals and evil.. Peace through superior firepower & tactical might, zero free rides, only the truly needy get jack****, Don't Tread on Me & Remember the Alamo muther****er

I train at the Gracie Bara bjj gym, and i have to say that most guys are open minded. Some guys have cross trained in other arts after they had been in bjj for quite some time. No one says taht bjj guys are closed minded. Most just love martial arts and will learn anything which will make them better fighters. Also, many bjj guys are competitive by nature, and dont mind learning another martial sport like TKD, Muay Thai, full contact karate, Judo, etc. etc. Just like many TMA guys cross train in bjj, so do bjj people cross train in TMA. BTW, it is important to note, that bjj is a Traditional Martial Art.
    MA fanatic

I guess this is why we are called Mixed Martial Arts,and the fact that they are happy to cross train as long as the stuff makes sence and can see it working.
    I have found most always happy to try new stuff.sort of like open minded type people
    jezze that would be rare in a MA forum!

Less of the lineage and lingo and more of the sweat and crude jokes.
    A Problem is only a Problem if you think it is a Problem and every Problem has a solution

Don't worry about losing lass,I've been wrestling wolves since you were suckling on your mama's titt
    Groundskeeper Willy

There is a reason why kung fu people try to cross train in BJJ.
    And there is a reason why BJJ people Never cross train in kung fu.

www.bjj.org/images/royce-delucia.jpg

Only jerks will diss other styles!

And most of the times these jerks are not even training in anything!...They just are watching their old UFC tapes eating popcorn and trolling on various forums as a way of life.
    I guess they somehow have a role in the big wheel of life .Similar creatures like bacterias,roaches,pubic crabs and ass worms are part of the big plan,so...

Wink On second thoughts!

I really have to apologise to these innocent creatures for comparing them to those who diss other styles and trolls.

Anybody that trashes another style and sees it as inferior not just to themselves but to everyone is an idiot. How can you say what is good for one or two people is good for everyone else? I might even cross train one day in arnis or bjj or akidio or whatever as long as it's not crap. I don't really care for training at two martial arts at the same time as one is enough especially since I've chosen the school and if i wanted something else i would leave.
    Train hard, live long and prosper.