Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: William Cheung on Aussie TV today

William Cheung on Aussie TV today

There was a story about William Cheung on "A Current Affair" today. Apparently some Hollywood types are considering making a movie based on his life. In the show he was referred to several times as "Bruce Lee's master" and "the master's master". I don't know much about him, but what exactly is his connection to Bruce Lee?

He trained with Bruce's teacher, Yip Man, and was Bruce's "senior." Definitely NOT Bruce's "master." It's terrible the way they ride on his coattails to get success. Bruce's friend "Unicorn" did the same thing..... really ****ed Bruce off.

Will the movie show the "master's master" getting pummeled by Emin Boztepe?

Ryu
    "No judo! NO NO!"

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

Attain your highest ability, and continue past it. Emotion becomes movement. Express that which makes you; which guides you. Movement and Mind without hesitation. Physical spirituality...
    This is Jeet Kune Do....

There is supposed to be a movie in the works about the life of Yip Man, who was Bruce's real master.

I expect some wires have got crossed along the ways. It would be very foolish for Mr. Cheung to claim to be Bruce's master, when so many know otherwise, so I think this is unlikely.
    Your lineage may vary.

well, to be fair William Cheung did say in the interview that he was Bruces senior, not his Master.
    still, the guy does seem to have lost a lot of fights in his day...
    __________________________________________________ __________ "I'm just trying to lull you into a genuine sense of security!"

Thumbs up

It was actually Yip Man who was Bruceīs master.
    The sunsetīs setting down.Lay me on the forest floor.

I do not necessarily stand behind all of the statements I have made in the past, in this forum. Some of the statements may have appeared to support a biased view of reality, and may have been offensive. If you are a moral person and were hurt by comments that I made, you can PM me about it and I will apologize if I find your cause reasonable.
    -FC, summer of 2006-

Stories have come about that Cheung got Bruce interested into Wing Chun by teaching him *some* stuff, then Yip Man accepting him. How true this is, I dont know. It may have some truth, because Bruce and Cheung are so close together in age (I think Cheung was born in 1940 like Bruce), so might of gone to school together? I purchased a video off Amazon.com by Wong Shun Leung and at the beginning of the video they said he was Bruce's teacher too. Perhaps it was a mishap by the publishers when WSL said "I trained with Bruce." and they removed the "with". Same with Cheung? Who knows.

But yeah, Yip Man is credited as Bruce's main teacher.
    I have a signature.

I read two articles in the most recent Blitz magazine (here in Australia).

One was talking about the making of a movie about William Cheung's life:

Hollywood heavyweights Mark and Paul Brown were recently in Melbourne doing extensive research for a new movie on the life of Bruce Lee and his friend Grandmaster William Cheung.

Goes on to say that those two Hollywood guys did work on Abyss, T2 and Spiderman amongst other movies. And that Cheung taught Lee and introduced him to Yip Man.

The other was about Wong Shun Leung's Wing Tsun:

...Wong sifu was the late Bruce Lee's most influential instructor prior to his departure to fame and glory in the United States.

Looks like everyone trained Bruce.
    Adam Stanecki - Practitioner of common sense.

"Think for yourself. Question authority." - Timothy Leary

Fluid Fitness - www.fluidfitness.com.au
    Dominance Mixed Martial Arts - www.dominance.com.au

I got sick of all the BS about halfway through that story. I am sure the media got it wrong (like they always seem to) and hyped it up for the story.

One thing I never understood about the 1-inch puch demos - why do they have to put a chair behind the dude holding the phone book?
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

To make sure he falls over. Otherwise he'd just step back and the demo would be kinda lame.
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

Originally posted by Serpent
    To make sure he falls over. Otherwise he'd just step back and the demo would be kinda lame.
    I feared that was the answer. Kinda lame really.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.

Bruce knew William Cheung from his HK skool days. He was intro. to WING CHUN by William and enrolled. Yip Man was the Master...Wong Shun Leung( the best HK fighter wing chun wise )...William Cheung( his org. will say he was the best fighter in the world period! LOL ) were his SENIORs. Hawkin Cheung( William's younger cousin ) and Bruce were the same age and train together behind those 2 to get the TOP DOG status! When Bruce went to America...he encounter WHOAAAA...the bigger and stronger americans...in interview with Hawkin Cheung he said...dood they big in USA...so I have to hit first or I die! From the USA he trained with JUDO GENE LEBELL, CHUCK NORRIS, JOE LEWIS, MIKE STONE, JHOON RHEE, ED PARKER, HAYWARD NAKASHI, WALLY JAY ETC...
    It's very wierd in ASIAN CULTURE that by showing u something=teaching u something=me( da master ) and u( da student )...messed up eh???
    A

Originally posted by LEGEND
    It's very wierd in ASIAN CULTURE that by showing u something=teaching u something=me( da master ) and u( da student )...messed up eh???
    Well... thats not always true... unless you were being sarcastic in which case I laugh in agreement.

well, I've got this great demo where I bash some clown over the head with a chair and he trips over a phonebook...possibly into a carton of eggs...
    do you think it'll catch on?
    __________________________________________________ __________ "I'm just trying to lull you into a genuine sense of security!"

Originally posted by Fish of Fury
    well, I've got this great demo where I bash some clown over the head with a chair and he trips over a phonebook...possibly into a carton of eggs...
    You should hit him with the eggs, shove the phonebook up the proverbial, and .. I dunno what you can do with the chair.

Originally posted by Fish of Fury
    I've missed you, Fish!

I think that would definitely catch on.
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching