Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: William Cheung on Aussie TV today

Are you going to jump him from behind and wrestle badly with him?

Seriously, that is pretty cool.
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

Originally posted by Danny Sainty
    Speaking of William Cheung he is coming over to my place for dinner on Friday..
    Why?
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

cos he's busy on Thursday
    __________________________________________________ __________ "I'm just trying to lull you into a genuine sense of security!"

Originally posted by Fish of Fury
    well, I've got this great demo where I bash some clown over the head with a chair and he trips over a phonebook...possibly into a carton of eggs...
    do you think it'll catch on?
    Yes I loved how when demonstrating the one inch punch on the journalist, William had an overturned chair strategically positioned behind the guy, so he'd stumble back and trip over it each time... what a classic.
    Last edited by anton; 09-17-2002 at 10:47 PM.

Well, strictly speaking most of Bruce's training was under Wong Shun Leung, but I didn't want to complicate things. Particularly as I am of the WSL lineage, and you know how WC people get about lineage....

Wong in fact taught many of Yip Man's classes towards the end of the Sifu Yip's life, and taught most of Bruce's private lessons. Wong was a contemporary and friend of William Cheung, they were both senior to Bruce.

An interesting article on WSL's friendship and impressions of BL is here:

http://www.wongvingtsun.co.uk/wslbl.htm

One of the few articles that shows the good with the bad of Bruce's character and attitude.
    Your lineage may vary.

LOL

Why is most 1 inch punch demos done with the guy standing with his feet together?

Well who knows what the real story is these days about bruce learning wing chun, maybe true maybe not. But doesnt deserve a movie to be made about it!

make one on me instead

FT

HI FISH AND JOEDOE

Hi FT, long time no hear. How have things been?

One of my training brothers went to one of Jim Fung's classes a few months ago and he got the 1-inch punch demo as well. He was told to hold a phone book (to protect him) and he was not allowed to use any of his stances to withstand the punch (again supposedly for his protection). Obviously he was pushed backwards and tripped.

Now I am not questioning the validity of the 1-inch punch, just the validity of the demo.
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

One inch punch demo

My first instructor demo'd without the phone book and let you brace, but he pulled the hit, the reason ? First time he demo'd it on someone they collapsed, came round ok, but later collapsed again, turned out to be a fractured sternum, massive insurance claim resulted.

Where am i going with this ? No idea really !

Originally posted by joedoe
    Hi FT, long time no hear. How have things been?

One of my training brothers went to one of Jim Fung's classes a few months ago and he got the 1-inch punch demo as well. He was told to hold a phone book (to protect him) and he was not allowed to use any of his stances to withstand the punch (again supposedly for his protection). Obviously he was pushed backwards and tripped.

Now I am not questioning the validity of the 1-inch punch, just the validity of the demo.
    I suppose it does make sense from a safety point of view. sure you can resist it with your stance, but that would make you absorb all of the force possibly resulting in injury. And Ithink generating enough energy with a one inch movement to push someone back significant distance with some velocity is pretty impressive in itself.

Saying cheung was Bruce's master is a joke. Cheung is only famous because he was Bruce's friend. They should include the part where cheung got challenged by Boztepe and pioneered the technique of 'how to be a human wooden dummy' in the film as well.
    FCF: So, who will you be facing at the next PRIDE event?

'It doesn't matter who the opponent is, I expect to win by knockout'

-Vanderlai Silva

Jodoe

Im good mate, hows things with you and your sifu? YKM is performing the lion dance this weekend at hurstville and chinatown on sunday, the council wont let us do the jong in dixon street outside on the foot path, the f@ckers. lol scared some by standers will get hurt..lol what about us!? anyway this are well.

Say his to sifu david yip for me.

I had the one inch punch done by jim fung years ago, but i did a swallowing technique and it through him off and he slipped off the phone book and it knocked me back a step.

ADRIAN
    Im sure anyone getting punched in the sternum would collapse, why would you do it on someone with out protective wear and hurt them?

FT

huh?

William ??? who, what does he do ??? ....he Wing Chun.....oh is that all.....what inch punch.......that again.....Bruce What??? oh the actor.........ic...telephones don't hit back

gees......tv is getting poor down in aus......hehe....

nah....just kidding.... its good that martial arts are being promoted even in the neverending inch punch manner

little joke

[[[[I had the one inch punch done by jim fung years ago, but i did a swallowing technique and it through him off and he slipped off the phone book and it knocked me back a step. ]]]]

--> hehehe, imagine if you spat (did a spitting technique) it may have mained him

about the one-inch punch thing - Sifu demonstrates the same principle using his elbow on our shoulder, with us in a stance side-on to him. doesn't hurt, just knocks you back a few feet. seems safer than a fist to the chest.

It is pretty easy to perfom the one inch punch with a couple of months of root connection training and silk reeling, I do it myself, but my point is because it is relatively easy to develop, why does he demonstrate this? Is this what you consider as high level kung-fu???? I suppose I am quite berwildered by it all given that anyone can do it with a little of the correct training. Any views?