Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: William Cheung on Aussie TV today

Yeah chung was pretty brutal in that clip..totally dominated and pounded. I didn'st see any wing chun though..mostly greco roman on the clinch and throw, and then basic pinning and pounding fromt he mount. Nothing really impressive.

As for the one inch punch, why don't people ever just relax completely, take the hit and as they are moved backwards, relax into a heavy low stance. Bring your weight down and sink back. get rid of the **** chair behind you and you are going nowhere.

Having said that, I bet Cheung would give FT a run for his money!
    Michael Panzerotti
    Taijutsu Nobody from the Great White North..

Re: William Cheung on Aussie TV today

Originally posted by anton
    There was a story about William Cheung on "A Current Affair" today. Apparently some Hollywood types are considering making a movie based on his life. In the show he was referred to several times as "Bruce Lee's master" and "the master's master". I don't know much about him, but what exactly is his connection to Bruce Lee?
    WC father was a police chief in hong kong or something.

You hear the story where he fought Mas Oyama for 8 hours to a draw? I guess he forgot to bring his cameraman. Or, he left the lenscap on.
    --
    Mountweazel (n.) the phenomenon of false entries within dictionaries and works of reference. Often used as a safeguard against copyright infringement. The Liar's Dictionary by Eley Williams

I don't understand the purpose of the chair during the one inch punch...

When my sifu did it to me (with me holding a focus mit) I went into a pretty deep stance but it felt like I was getting pulled backwards the whole time, so there was no way I could regain my balance before falling over... and I believe he said he was going easy on me...

My teacher learned from Cheung so I can only assume that Cheung's 1 inch punch is just as strong or stronger so the chair doesn't really seem to serve any purpose besides making it look like a trick...

Seems like they'd fall over anyway... except instead of falling instantly with a chair, it forces anyone trying to keep their balance to step backwards very quickly before falling over... looking more dramatic in the process .

I had the one inch punch done by jim fung years ago, but i did a swallowing technique and it through him off and he slipped off the phone book and it knocked me back a step.
    Hi,

Im not a Jim Fung student, but I believe that WC uses the concept of controlling the COG (ie get the opponent totally and completly off balance) before applying the 'inch power'. The one inch punch demo assumes that control over the opponent has been attained; which is posibly the reason why the person was asked not to put on a stance.

This doesnt take anything away from FT's technique, as im sure he's very good. But i think the context of 'controlling the opponent' is stressed largely in WC.
    Last edited by S.Teebas; 11-10-2003 at 07:31 AM.
    S.Teebas

"the guy does seem to have lost a lot of fights in his day..."

So what? If you fight you will lose, too. Sifu's, seniors, going out before you are ready ... all this leads to losing somewhere, somehow ... and learning.

On the other hand, regarding Bruce. When my master was very young and living in Hong Kong he trained with Yip Man while Lee was there. Said he was an a$$, would sit outside and tell folks the master was out, that class was canceled so he'd get him alone. My master was kicked out of the school for questioning too much.
    I'm with Internal on the one-inch punch. It impressed me when I saw it in Black Belt magazine when I was 10 and couldn't fathom it. Now that I'm receiving proper training and can see, it's no big deal. Actually an inch is too much already.
    Something about Emin doesn't sit right with me. What he did to Mr. Cheung was not right and he deserves the same someday. Does he ever do NYC seminars?