Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Last nights lesson on the mat

Last nights lesson on the mat

I took my first BJJ/Shootfighting class last night. It's a whole new world.

First lesson: little toes break easily when they get stuck in between mats.

Anyone else wanna share their first experience in a new school/martial art?
    Adam Stanecki - Practitioner of common sense.

"Think for yourself. Question authority." - Timothy Leary

Fluid Fitness - www.fluidfitness.com.au
    Dominance Mixed Martial Arts - www.dominance.com.au

after getting triangled for 30 minutes someone shared this secret with me:

"You either wanna keep both hands in or both hands out".

Made a world of difference
    Free thinkers are dangerous!

Re: Last nights lesson on the mat

Originally posted by TaoBoy

I got matched up with the school's best fighting bluebelt. Tapped approximately 12 times in 5 minutes, including a few taps with my feet. Then I threw up about 25 minutes in. I LOVED it!!!
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

This is how all Kung Fu schools should train...hard as hell.

I love grappling.
    IXIJoeKaveyIXI

If Wing Chun was a man, he would be The Man...

Get some wrestling shoes.
    A

Kung fu guys get destroyed all the time by BJJ blue belts with only 6 to 12 months experience. But accepting that fact is the fist step in coming over to the BJJ side. BJJ people openly accept kung fu converts who are tired of wasting their time with the forms and coreographed one step sparring that defines kung fu.

Shoalin Tiger has come to to the BJJ side after our challenge match that was so bloody the police were actually called and a bicycle police man rode by. And SevenStar has also gone to the BJJ side after hearing of the epic battle between me and Saholin Tiger.

It's not that kung fu is not effective. It's just that it isn't a realistic method for defending yourself in a real fight. Coreography is not the way to train. YOu are better off joining ballet. You need realistic training methods to learn to fight such as sparring. There is no other way. There is no other way.

ROFL!!! That's why I love ralek! As epic as your blood spilling battle with ST was, it had nothing to do with my training in bjj. I've been grappling for years, but only training with friends, not taking formal instruction 4 days a week like I do now. I just kind of played with it before, but recently decided to become more than just a "hobbyist" with it.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Re: Last nights lesson on the mat

Originally posted by TaoBoy
    I took my first BJJ/Shootfighting class last night. It's a whole new world.

First lesson: little toes break easily when they get stuck in between mats.

it's definitely a different world. If you're at all like me, then be prepared to get frustrated VERY frequently as you continually get dominated on the mat until you get some techniques and experience under your belt.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Re: Re: Last nights lesson on the mat

Originally posted by SevenStar

it's definitely a different world. If you're at all like me, then be prepared to get frustrated VERY frequently as you continually get dominated on the mat until you get some techniques and experience under your belt.
    I expect to get my @ss handed to me continually. I've been there before learning other MAs. The frustration will be offset by the fact that I'm learning something completely new.

Originally posted by LEGEND

Get some wrestling shoes.
    Yeah, I think I will. CMA training tonight will be interesting - busted toe 'n all.

FYI - And I'm not ceasing my CMA training - I'm just adding to it.

Cheers ppl.

Thumbs down This thread was actually pleasant to read until...

Ralek stepped in with his usual rubbish!

Old Jong. The rubbish you speak of is truth. If you can't handle it then go back to praciting your forms.

Originally posted by Ralek
    Old Jong. The rubbish you speak of is truth. If you can't handle it then go back to praciting your forms.
    Okay Ralek - check your ego at the door - you're not representative of BJJers - think before replying.

I'm not a representative of BJJ? Last time I checked i am responsible for the conversion of Shaolin Tiger and literally hundreds of people on this forum who i converted by making them doubt kung fu by giving them kung fu's fighting record in real fights.

I do train.

You're a legend in your own mind, Ralek.

Taoboy, Jong, just let him be. Nobody takes him seriously any more. After all, even the police only sent some gimp on a bicycle!
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching