Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Last nights lesson on the mat

literally hundreds? you should apply for a job at the National Inquirer
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

God darn it i love Ralek...
    I always want to steal his quotes for my sig.

"I do train."
    *Pure gold...

How is the Gracie cd-rom anyway? Those big men in the little shorts still turning you on?

I would fight with you ralek but i dont know how to defend a double leg takedown and i have no idea what a naked rear choke even is let alone how to escape one. I have also never seen 'the gaurd' or have the slightest clue of its use. The whole prospect of being given a 'rear mount' frankly scares me and being 'pinned' just sounds kind of suspect.

Ahh well back to my dancing
    I guess ill just have to do what ralek does and play my games and dream.
    Hey Ralek in the Xbox version of UFC how the heck do i get sprawl? I cant seem to get the button combination right

Small disclaimer...
    I actualy rather like BJJ and try and pick up bits off my friend who studys it whenever i can. Was a dig at Ralek not bjj.
    Last edited by jon; 09-17-2002 at 02:05 AM.
    Up and down, forward and backward, left and right, its all the same. All of this is done with the mind, not externaly.
    ------------------------------------
    Shaped dragon and looking monkey, sitting tiger and turning eagle.

"I wonder how they would do against jon's no-tension fu. I bet they'd do REALLY WELL."
    - Huang Kai Vun

Any chance this thread can be salvaged?
    Adam Stanecki - Practitioner of common sense.

"Think for yourself. Question authority." - Timothy Leary

Fluid Fitness - www.fluidfitness.com.au
    Dominance Mixed Martial Arts - www.dominance.com.au

Our school started its grappling programme on sunday, 4 hours worth just to give us the basic drills so that we can start incorporating them into our regular training.
    **** good fun, completely knacking, and I came off worse in my match-ups.
    I'm still f'ing sore and training again tonight.

P.s. How do get out of a choke where he's underneath and behind you (on the ground).

5. Thumbs up

*sigh*

Try interconnecting the mats.
    The sunset´s setting down.Lay me on the forest floor.

I do not necessarily stand behind all of the statements I have made in the past, in this forum. Some of the statements may have appeared to support a biased view of reality, and may have been offensive. If you are a moral person and were hurt by comments that I made, you can PM me about it and I will apologize if I find your cause reasonable.
    -FC, summer of 2006-

Chow time, trolls!

Okay, Ralek, give us another laugh.

Where do you train?
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

Helicopter what is involved in your grappeling program and why was it not done before? Did you have to get some one in to do it or are you just wrestling and seeing what happens?
    LOL.. really, what else did you hear?.. did you hear that he was voted Man of the Year by Kung-Fu Magizine?

You can get wrestling shoes if you want to, i have a pair but i never use it in BJJ. For one people go for leglocks on me a lot more (and get them a lot more), also it feels harder for me to squirm from back to guard (which feels oh so good when i'm barefooted).
    Free thinkers are dangerous!

Originally posted by Helicopter

P.s. How do get out of a choke where he's underneath and behind you (on the ground). [/B]
    Pretty much the worst possible place to find yourself. Try pushing your elbows into his thighs or just squirming for your life.

Ground fighting is fun. Even to know the most basic things about it will make a huge difference. Still, to beat a skilled groundfighter on the ground would require a lot of training in a ground-oriented grappling art.

I took BJJ from my college last semester from Clay Pittman, one of Carlos Muchados students. I don’t know if the muchados have a different belt system than the Gracie’s, But Pittman sure did. He had white, yellow, orange, green, blue, purple, red, brown, and black, with several stripes in-between. Supposedly pittman changed from karate to bjj after getting beaten by a small girl bjj yellow belt. I rolled with guys and galls up though green. I could beat people up though orange and hold my own with green as for the rest I don’t know. I only had one class a week for like 10 weeks vs. dudes who train regularly. While Pittman and I’m sure many of his advanced students could give me a royal a$$ whoopin on the mat, I just don’t buy low ranked students in bjj beating high ranked people from other styles.
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

It was proabably the ranking system, the fact that it was held at a college, as well as the caliber of fighters. I have heard many good things about Carlos' school up in Dallas so I am inclined to believe it may have had a lot to do with the class structure and not the actual style.
    Your intelligence is surpassed only by your ignorance.

You are more likely to fall down the stairs and break your neck if you live in a house with stairs. You are more likely to be in a car accident if you drive to work. You are more likely to be kicked in the nuts or punched in the nose if you practicing the martial arts. - Judge Pen

San,

Were you in the kids class? j/k All BJJ schools rank the same because that's how the tourney's are divided up. The only time I've heard yellow, orange, and green belts mentioned (never w/stripes) are in the kiddy classes. I know Machado guys and Gracie Barra (where the machado's learned bjj) don't use that system. I don't know why this guy is.

Originally posted by Former castleva
    *sigh*

Try interconnecting the mats.
    They were interconnected - I think I managed to find the only gap with my little toe. And toes don't like it much when they are jammed between mats while some guy practices a takedown.

Aaah, the joys of the martial arts.

Originally posted by Chang Style Novice
    Where do you train?
    If that was directed at me - I've started at Dominance JJ - a school run by some brown & purple belts from John Will's school (JW is a Machado black belt). Nice bunch of guys.

Any other experiences to share ppl?
    Adam Stanecki - Practitioner of common sense.

"Think for yourself. Question authority." - Timothy Leary

Fluid Fitness - www.fluidfitness.com.au
    Dominance Mixed Martial Arts - www.dominance.com.au

once you have a strategy for almost all positions it gets a lot more fun IMO.

My favourite is the guard (being small and all) and if i get sidemounted/mounted i'll get haflguard and from tehre i'm pretty good at catching peoples back or getting back to guard, so even though it doesnt work nearly always, i always have a thing to do (i'm not just flapping about doing whatever to get out). IMO once you get there it's a lot more fun, i have a lot more to learn obviously but i at least have a basic thing to do from most positions now It's a nice feeling to know what to do even though you may not succeed (nice chaneg from flapping around like i was doing first).
    Free thinkers are dangerous!