Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Most annoying "non-serious" injuries from training.

I'm another walking disaster area. A year ago, i partially ruptured my hamstring origin. As many people said at the time, 'That's a pain in the....', It took 9 months to heal to the point that I could kick again. Nine months i tell you. As soon as it healed, I torn my other hamstring and was out again for a month and still don't have all the flexibility back.

Six weeks ago I bruised my left second knuckle breaking a board and it still hasn't healed. It goes purple everytime I do anything physical. My wife thinks I cracked a bone.

The martial arts business is just too dangerous. I'm going to take up tidlywinks.

For the least serious and most annoying I'd say:

Cut your d@mn fingernails!!

I some lass's manicured fingernail sliced long the bottom of my nostril and into my nose the another night. I had to keep checking with my fingers to see if there was any blood, but luckily there wasn't actually any real damage.

I'm with Helicopter. Doesn't really hurt but when I go into work at 38 degrees C and 80 humidity, it'd be nice to be able to wear short sleeves, without looking like a victim of a food-mixer attack.

Also, the third time I got my nose broken, I was demonstrating how to always come in with a palm heel atemi in a particular aiki throw, and to always guard against it... my kohai got it: didn't think he would... and didn't guard against it... SPLAT!

Two days before an Yip Chun seminar, my partner sprained two of my fingers on my right hand in chi sao: fortunately didn't stop me.

The worst was my taichi master hitting me with a chi-blasting pressure point chinna that caused all of my pubic hair to fall out! And worse yet: it grew back ginger!
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

the worst i've had was just a very sore mabe broken index finger from gettin kicked in the hand. it hurt for a couple of weeks but didn't cause too much probs for training.

I usually find i get more injuries outside of class then i do in them

Dealing with the end of this right now: "tibial compartmentalization syndrome" kind of like sciatica beginning in the calf and ankle region. Check sportsinjuryclinic.net

We do deep stances for extended periods, and it's just my luck- it means that the muscles within the tibia area (within the area of the bones themselves) are expanding with blood but not expanding outwards far enough, so they choke themselves/each other out. Your legs fall asleep then you have sharp pains for weeks, if you ignore it (that's what I did. I thought it was temporary/expected & I didn't wanna be a wuss). Could be the ole heat loss vs. heat generated thing, or pronation or both.

Anyhow, I wore an ace bandage for 3 days, took aspirin and diuretics, and it cleared up. Time to get back on that horse!
    Last edited by {i^(; 09-19-2002 at 05:22 AM.
    IA! IA! CTHULHU FHTAGN!

"The gods be praised! My misfortunes surpass even my expectation!" -Jean Racine

I have the copyrights for Ouing Xun(tm), Veng Stun (tm), & Yengxun (tm). If you use these, you owe me $

Does impetigo count??? I got a impetigo infection from my BJJ class a couple of months ago. That wasn't nice and I had to eat penicilin for 10 days. I always look for open wounds on my trainig partners after that.

One time I was in the bathroom watching myself do front snap-kicks in the mirror. Needless to say I wasn't looking where my foot was going.. Booted the pointy bit of the old fashioned door catch at full force. It got me right in the ball of my foot just under my toes. Just managed to hop over to the bathtub before the blood started pouring out all over the place. The bruising was terrible the next day.

I think you're probably the first people I've ever told about this one.

Pink-eye from BJJ.....
    Justice, swift & raw. US Constitutional absolutism, a return to the American Dream based on the 10 Commandments, The Golden Rule, US Constitution & Bill of Rights, zero tolerance for bloodsuckers, criminals and evil.. Peace through superior firepower & tactical might, zero free rides, only the truly needy get jack****, Don't Tread on Me & Remember the Alamo muther****er

9. Thumbs up

Have to mention this because this is another showdown of would be injury,another lesson in technique and bad technique...
    Talking about mirrors reminds me when I was just loosely practicing in front of a big mirror when I threw a wild,uncontrolled back kick only to notice a TV crashing down on the floor...
    was not injured luckily,the equipment.
    That shows that one should have good focus in his/her ushiro-geri and remember to look over shoulder if possible to aim enough.
    The sunsetīs setting down.Lay me on the forest floor.

I do not necessarily stand behind all of the statements I have made in the past, in this forum. Some of the statements may have appeared to support a biased view of reality, and may have been offensive. If you are a moral person and were hurt by comments that I made, you can PM me about it and I will apologize if I find your cause reasonable.
    -FC, summer of 2006-