Thread: Funny observations on Standing Practice in a family of six

Funny observations on Standing Practice in a family of six

I can only do standing at night due to my lifestyle. I do Wuji, Ball, Palm (?), and San Ti.
    I feel this is very important as it has done a lot for me personally, not just MA. I wait until everybody is down for the night, and sneak into the living room to do the standing.

Here are my non-martial observations that I have discovered.

My kids...sneak out of bed, and raid the refriderator!!! I have quietly walked up behind them and scared the living crap out of them countless times.

I know how cats catch mice. You stand still and quiet long enough, and you will find a whole new world! A lot of stuff goes on in the dark I never knew about. It gets real quiet, and I can hear secret conversations taking place throught the air conditioning vents (ours are metal). Plus, the kids or wife will be walking around, and walk up beside you without really seeing you, and BAM! When they see you they jump!

Who said standing practice was boring???

In all honestly, I was getting ready to get into a real screaming match over finances with my wife today. I felt the burn deep inside coming up. I just breathed and put my mind into quiet standing practice, and I was at peace suddenly. No anger, no fight. It was very nice. I dealt with the issue and that was it.

I'm gonna have fun trying this out
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

It also helps a great deal to wear your black Kung Fu outfit!

Thumbs up LOL!!!

There is a good lesson there!
    Count

Live it or live with it.

KABOOOM

Interesting post! You know, for some reason, my cats always come and rub up against me and try to jump on me and stuff whenever I do standing. Do you get the same thing? My cat will like come up and look at me and start meowing. I usually just ignore him and then he'll jump up and grab my shins with his front paws and start meowing again. Kinda cool.

A.

Must be the chi. My cats do the same thing.
    " Better to be a warrior in the garden than a gardner at war."
    "Ni hao darlins!" - wujidude
    "I just believe that qi is real and good body mechanics have been masquerading as internal power for too long." - omarthefish

Dogs too Animals love watching t'ai chi.

ohh... i don't have any dogs, but for a while there, I thought it was a cat thing, b/c I've always thought that cats had more chi cultivation going on than dogs Cats are very good at relaxing and their standing medition skills are phenomenal he he he

A.

My taiji class was about 10 minutes into wuji when a squirrel started scrounging around for nuts, I peeked and saw it walking right up to several people. I've even had birds come relatively close to me when I'm standing quietly. I take it as a good sign.

Peace, y'all.

Animals seem to be attracted to the meditation arts. You can get birds, insects and larger animals. An interesting book that speaks of the phenomena is Thomas Cleary's translation of "Opening the Dragon Gate"

My cats don't bother me anymore, Xinyi stomps take care of that...just kidding, sort of.

However, I have stood there for 15 minutes before, while they also remained completely motionless, just watching...watching. So this is how they catch so many unsuspecting creatures. They were in the backyard killing blue jays for a while. I thought they were sneaking up on the birds. Not so. They stood just inside my Nandina bush by the water hose spout. They would sit there for a long time, and when a bird landed by where the water was dropping...BOOM! Bird in paw. Poor little birdies.

lol it's true when I do taji all the squirrels and duckies just pass on y like I'm not even there. It's soo cool man. Let see bjj do that.
    Last edited by NorthernMantis; 09-23-2002 at 08:17 PM.
    killer kung fu commando streetfighter who has used his devastating fighting system to defeat hordes of attackers in countless combat situations