Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Question or 3 for HFY players

Question or 3 for HFY players

Hope you dont mind.The questions and posts here and other places are just to much for me. Perhaps you can give me something easier to grasp. Yes,I agree the best way to learn is to see it first hand but since that is not possible for me the following:

Situation- you are in a crowded bar or Ohio State Michigan game. lots of drunk rowdy men around and very crowded. You bump into someone and spill their beer.They are drunk call you a nasty name and swing at your head.

1. How would you respond?

2. Is this the same response you would have had when you just knew Moy Yats WC?

3. If the response is different how is it different?

Re: Question or 3 for HFY players

Situation- you are in a crowded bar or Ohio State Michigan game. lots of drunk rowdy men around and very crowded. You bump into someone and spill their beer.They are drunk call you a nasty name and swing at your head.

3. If the response is different how is it different? [/B][/QUOTE]

-----------------------------------------------------
    Hi, this is Savi from Mengs of AZ.

1) The most correct thing is to apologize, offer to buy them another drink. One would not be able to address the presented situation from a technical standpoint though from the current information. Does he punch without changing position? Is he moving as he punches? Does he chamber the punch? Are his arms down or up when he punches? Is it a punch coming from the front or back side of him? Is he presenting a front/back position to you? What "type" of punch is it? An upper cut to the head? A jab? A cross? How close is he? How much room do you have? Is he swinging his arm or leg at your head? etc... Are you looking for a technical response?

2) Is this a direct question to a particular person?

3) Again, need more information to accurately answer your question unless you asking somebody in particular.

Smile Hi Savi

I think the answer to the question is,IF is a BIG word

What IF my Uncle was built differently,then she would be my Aunt.

In the real world you can't ask questions like what would you do in a bar IF someone did this.
    Last edited by Geezer; 09-23-2002 at 01:35 PM.

Originally posted by hunt1
    Hope you dont mind.The questions and posts here and other places are just to much for me. Perhaps you can give me something easier to grasp. Yes,I agree the best way to learn is to see it first hand but since that is not possible for me the following:

I have to agree with the first response. It's really hard to answer questions like this in an internet chat room since the only true way to learn or understand is to EXPERIENCE. This idea is fundamental to the Chan philosophy intrinsic to HFY.

In order to answer your question I invite you to observe a class or participate in a HFY seminar. What else can I say or offer?

JK

I have to agree with all of the responses.

I have to say Geezer you displayed and fine example of the limitations of a forum or should I even go as far as saying the written word. JK, Savi - I would even go as far as to say an answer to this question is impossible. especially understand the precise nature of HFY. My example would be to ask the question "Exactly How does a apple taste?" with out using the word apple. Now most of us have experienced the taste of a apple many times but no one can isolate the exact taste with out having those that question take a bite!! No matter what words we use no matter how good we are with the written word. It cannot be exact without taking a bite! There is only one center of the room if off in any direction N.S.E.W up or down etc... or even if off by 1 micron it is no longer the true center. I promise you if you come and see it you will understand why I say this.

Chango (Saat geng sau)

Originally posted by hunt1

Hunt1 - all the responses given are good answers.HFY or even kung fu for that manner is not fixed. Formlessness is a key element.The response I will offer is I dont know how i would respond. If he was really drunk, even swinging at my head he might be way off target. The variables are far too great for an in- depth discussion. I would go as far as to say that if you trained HFY you would not have a programed response either.
    -David

Chango, say it ain't so!

> "or should I even go as far as saying the written word"

With the breadth and depth of literature in this world, even if we confine ourselves only to English, it is possible not only to read how an apple tastes, but read it in ways and language we, constrained to our own experiences, bound in our own microcosm, might not otherwise imagine. Give me a Shakespear or Asimov or Elison or any of a hundred other apples, and they'll all taste lush and vivid and wonderous.

RR (off to burn my rendered useless copies of Way Virtue Classic, Universe in a Nutshell, Old Man and the Sea, Julius Caeser, Invisible Man, and the rest of library, since they ain't worth nothin' no more 8((( )

thanks for your replies. The consistency or your answers is impressive. Perhaps one day I will see HFY first hand. I dont travel much for pleasure at the moment. If you are ever in the Tampa Bay area of Florida give me a call. Visotors are always welcome.

If I read you correctly HFY does an analysis of a situation before acting?
    Last edited by hunt1; 09-24-2002 at 08:36 AM.

Question What Does Haggis Taste Like

With the breadth and depth of literature in this world, even if we confine ourselves only to English, it is possible not only to read how an apple tastes, but read it in ways and language we, constrained to our own experiences, bound in our own microcosm, might not otherwise imagine.
    I don't think there's any way someone could explain to me what a HAGGIS tastes like

I have a question to the HFY people. Is reading about Chan philosophy a requirement of the system?
    John

Have little and gain;
    Have much and be confused.

Sheldon - Well, no, not Haggis. That's the exception that makes the rule. Perhaps if I'd spent time running things over in a NYC cab in the middle of a heatwave in week-old clothes while eating souvlaki and coughing up all manner of bacteria. Perhaps.

But then I'm still working on instantaneously finding the center of an 8 cornered box when 4 of those corners want to aggressively kill the other 4, and both sides are idependantly, unpredictably, and sentiently mobile... 8(

RR
    Last edited by reneritchie; 09-24-2002 at 11:21 AM.

Originally posted by Chum Kil
    I have a question to the HFY people. Is reading about Chan philosophy a requirement of the system?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    A requirement of the system? I personally have never called it that... Well let me put it this way. Hung Fa Yi, as with all Shaoiln arts, consists of the 3 treasures of the Shaolin Temple: Combat, health and philosophy.

If you, or any practitioner really, is searching for a full understanding of HFY, or any shaolin art, you have to dive deeply into these 3 areas. If only for one or the other, maybe two out of the three, that is the choice of the practitioner. It depends on where your finger is pointing (the moon?)! To become an HFY teacher, most definitely YES! But not just reading, I'm sure in your question you meant practicing Chan. Chan is the overriding philosophy of the HFY. If you are only interested in fighting and nothing more it is certainly possible to train the HFY, but not understand it.

<<<If you, or any practitioner really, is searching for a full understanding of HFY, or any shaolin art, you have to dive deeply into these 3 areas. If only for one or the other, maybe two out of the three, that is the choice of the practitioner.>>>

Well said.

There is one thing stronger than all the armies in the world: and that is an idea whose time has come.

Sitting quietly doing nothing,
    Spring comes,
    and the grass grows by itself.

Is this Ch'an?

humm...

Originally posted by Savi

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    as with all Shaoiln arts, consists of the 3 treasures of the Shaolin Temple: Combat, health and philosophy.

YES! But not just reading, I'm sure in your question you meant practicing Chan.

If the 3 treasures of Shaolin temple are Combat, health, and philosophy. Might as well turn it into Karaoke house. So everyone can sing and be happy.

The 3 treasures of ShaoLin Temple are
    Buddha, Dharma, and Sangha
    as the Buddha teaches. Otherwise, it is just a Karoke house. LOL

How in the world one can practice Chan when one couldn't even get the a b c basic of Chan right?

It is more fun, positive, and happy to sing Kareoke.
    Forget about Shao Lin and WCK, those are just suffering. LOL

Sing------
    Amitaba Amitaba great great you all are right! so everyone is happy. LOL
    Last edited by Hendrik; 09-26-2002 at 11:21 PM.

Yoe Hendrik!!

It seems that you have some knowledge about Chan. I very much agree with you that the 3 treasures of BUDDHISM (not only the Shaolin temple) are Buddha, Dharma, and Sangha. But come on dude, you don't have to take it so literally!! Combat, health and philosophy might not be the three treasures but it has a lot to do with buddhism. Matter of fact, Combat, health and philosophy is part of a "Moe Jung" (fighting monks) way of life. So, was it neccesary for you say all that stuff about Karoke?? All you had to do was just correct him. You should loosen up a little! and study more chan... because a true buddhist would never have the kind of tone that you have.... please read more about Compassion... or did you skip that part? LOL! But seriously, those comments to Savi were very unneccesary.
    AMI TOH FOH (Buddha Bless You)
    why don't somebody take a 45 and bang! settle it?