Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tai Chi Sword

Another Tai Chi Sword sweepstakes from Dr. Yang Jwing-Ming

Enter to win KungFuMagazine.com's contest for TAI CHI SWORD for Beginners DVD, autographed by Dr. Yang Jwing Ming! Contest ends 5:30 p.m. PST on 10/29/2015.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Our winners are announced!

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

GM Live 2017: Zou Yunjian

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

GM Live 2017: Bryant Fong

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

KFTC Day 2017: Larry Young

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

KFTC Day 2017: Victor Migalchan

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

KFTC Day 2017: Pure Shaolin

Tai Chi Sword @ KUNG FU TAI CHI 25TH ANNIVERSARY FESTIVAL

This is the final video for KFTC25 AF for our YouTube channel. Thanks to Bad Ass Bunny Productions for providing content.

We'll see you all next year at the 10th Tiger Claw Elite KungFuMagazine.com Championship - May 19-20 2018, San Jose CA.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Best Sword Tai Chi video - Shiho Saito, Tai Chi World Champion

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    While Miss Saito is an excellent athlete, why do these types of competitions only seem to emphasize the importance of the kicks and jumps? It is, after all, a SWORD form, is it not? There seems to be little or no mention of the handling of the sword itself. I realize this is a wushu competition, but still. Also, the wushu sword's tip bends/flops noticeably downward when she extends it out with the flat of the blade held horizontally. I'm wondering how their forms would be affected if the athletes had to perform with an old, heavier, traditional sword. It would certainly affect the body mechanics as well as the strength requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by RAF View Post
    Dedalus:

I actually got interested in this question maybe 6 or 7 years ago. I read about some of Zhang Man Qing students having superb sword skills, including Zhang Man Qing himself. I never could find out its history nor the auxilliary exercises needed to be good at the sword. Yeah, I know, Yang Cheng Fu picks up a broom handle or brush and defeats an opponent.

As I started into my own taiji sword (I had a kun wu sword form for years), we learned some simple but effective two man sword training techniques. They are really no big secret and once you see them you quickly learn how only practice makes them useful (very similar to bagua rou shou, two swords connect and you continuously circle the arms while also walking in a circle facing each other. Then you simply execute movements both offensive and defensive from the form itself).

Well, I went up against some people who had none of the experience I had in the kun wu form or taiji sword and I quickly found out how unskilled I was. Not because they were skilled, but because I could not control their lack of skill like jabbing me in the leg or missing the move and my inability to counter. Now I have experiential truth that simply doing a sword form will not make you skilled.

It hits me like a rock, how can you have skill in taiji swordsmanship or any sword without tons of two man practice. So I ask around the Zhang Man Qing people whom I know and none has an answer (actually they avoid the answer since they only play the sword form). I ask what auxilliary exercises did Zhang Man Qing teach or what two man form did he teach inorder to develop the skill (BTW, this is not a flame on Zhang Man Qing practitioners. I later find out that vary few sword practitioners do two man exercises and two man forms).

I read Barb Davis's book and read Chen Weiming's comment about not have the exercises too (Li Jing Lin taught them to him). Now if Yang Cheng Fu didn't teach him and I can't find out what Zhang Man Qing taught (maybe its a secret) then how does anyone acquire excellent swordsmanship in taijiquan?

Then I start to think, when did the sword (jian) come into the Yang lineage? Couldn't have come from the Chen's because I read that their jian enters in around the 1920s or 30s. Hmmm, Yang Lu Chan oral history never talks about his jian skills. Chen Fake's daughter has a jian form (old Journal of Chen style has the routine laid out) yet I never read or hear about Chen Fake having a sword form.

Only Doc Fai Wong, in an old article in Wushu/Kung Fu, says the sword comes from a daoist, Song Wei Yi. Well, I know how this Song Wei Yi fits into my lineage but I can never find anybody else who verifies it through the Yang lineage. So I doubt if it comes through Song Wei Yi but I post and never get an responses about where the Yang or Chen sword comes from.

Its just odd, especially regarding Yang stylsts claim of having excellent swordsmanship (which very well might be true) and not knowing how it came into the lineage and what two man exercises and fight forms were practiced.

How strange.
    As a beginner student in CMC's school in NYC in 1969-70, I saw him and his senior students practicing this 2-person thing with wooden swords. I never got into that because I was a newbie, but while everything the Professor did was enormously interesting to me, I couldn't quite see how this kind of practice led to anything. But having opinions about all that was not something I was into at the time.

Later on, after being with a few other teachers, some well known and others not, I found my way to Yu Cheng-Hsiang in NYC, with whom I studied for many years until his death in 2010. I knew that Master Yu had studied with many teachers and learned a number of martial arts practices in Shanghai and Taiwan, and one of his teachers was Cheng Man-Ching in Taiwan. I asked him about this 2-man practice CMC was teaching and demonstrating back when I was starting out. Master Yu said that CMC never taught this in Taiwan to his knowledge, and, moreover, he had no idea how this practice could possibly lead to martial skill or power. Especially with the use of wooden swords. (He taught us the form using steel swords.) So it is kind of mysterious. For Master Yu, the sword form was all about developing lethal skill and power.