Thread: Southern Kungfu Fists - Bak Mei 9 Step Push VCD

Southern Kungfu Fists - Bak Mei 9 Step Push VCD

Has anyone seen this VCD? Are they doing Leung Ying Eagle Claw? Is this the same form performed in the 'sifu lee bak mei' clip that was on the board a couple of months ago?

SMALL

Its not the dragon sifu doing ying jow, its a bak mie school in china doing a mixed version of 9 step and has ying jow lin kuil moves and others techniques from other forms.

FT

I've got this VCD, and although it looks very impressive /fast i'm a little unsure as to whether this is really Bak Mei par say or a modern wushu interpretation of the 9 step push form.
    The stances all seem really low & extended, and although the sequence of moves is nearly the same as the H.B.Un book, the overall styling seems more modern wushu than traditional.

Now I know very little about Bak Mei, but this doesn't seem quite right!
    Any further info from you YKM or BM guys would be appreciated.

cheers
    Colin........................
    "The cat never weeps for the mouse"

http://www.laugar.org.uk

I think this has already been (recently) discussed. Though I have not seen this myself I seem to recall that it was determined that this was not Bak Mei. I believe Fiercest Tiger may be pretty accurate, stating that it may be mixed forms.

In a nutshell

In a nutshell, it is "new" Pak Mei from the Har Hon Hung branch, by a student who has a significant Hung Gar background, thus it "looks" hung style.

The Pattern is Luk Hup Gau Bo Twi I'm told by Kei Lun, who know's the people personally, I believe. Perhaps he'll chime in and confirm or correct my comments.

I can't speak directly on the topic, as it is not the same as our style.

Then again, you could just search the archives...

Is there a clip for this?. Im trying to find chinese white eyebrow vcds to order but the whole google translator has me pretty confused..I found some good yongchun vcds at the library but for ten years I thought it was spelled wing or ving so do I look up Hai tei or some thing for pai mei.. How many Chinese Bak Mei books and films are online?

Quote Originally Posted by diego View Post
    Is there a clip for this?. Im trying to find chinese white eyebrow vcds to order but the whole google translator has me pretty confused..I found some good yongchun vcds at the library but for ten years I thought it was spelled wing or ving so do I look up Hai tei or some thing for pai mei.. How many Chinese Bak Mei books and films are online?
    Yong Chun is the Mandarin reading of Wing Chun. Try Bai Mei or Pai Mei, that might help you.

Here's the vcd mentioned:
    http://www.plumpub.com/sales/vcd4/coll_bakmei.htm

The performer learned from Gwan Gok Fai when he was around 80, to get the good lineage! That guy doesnt understand Bak Mei what so ever as can be seen in his performance, and is highly disliked by his own clan for making that worthless vcd. Gwan who is recently passed away created this version of Gau Bo Tui that he named Sim Din Gau Bo Tui, meaning "lightening nine step push". Its fun for a forms collector but martially worthless otherwise. Heres a less sloppy version of the same form from the vcd in case anyones curious:
    http://www.56.com/u81/v_MTc0NTYxOTA.html

Dont mix up the name with Luk Ging Gau Bo Tui, meaning "six forces nine step push", which is regular Gau Bo Tui but given this name perhaps to distinguish it from the many other versions.

By the way, dont learn Bak Mei from a vcd.

One may say it was a contemporary attempt in salvaging a classical style or video company trying to make a quick buck. (I go for the latter.)

There was one Chinese book on Pak Mei online that could be downloaded but it is no longer there. A number of Pak Mei websites have a list of Pak Mei books on them so you can see what you are still missing in your collection

Quote Originally Posted by soulfist View Post
    By the way, dont learn Bak Mei from a vcd.
    LOL Does anyone know when the first Chinese VCD on Bak Mei came out?. I'm going to look up the history of VCD's now...sucks I can't read Chinese

Bak Mei

Hi Soulfist,

I've been practicing Bak Mei for about 20 years. I don't recognize that set - but that guy clearly understood the fundamentals of the art. I could take a Hung Gar set or whatever, and use the same principles - his form was very good.

In my very limited understanding of the art (I'm a Dragoner, not Bak Mei), there are two critical sets - Jek Bo and Gau Bo Toy - combine them into one sequence and you have the soul / spirit of the art. Just my own opinion. Tun To Fao Chum.

Thank you for posting this.

AQ