Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Deru (aka Shawn Liu) & the Liu Shaolin Institute

ttt

tzt

mother of all ironies...

Ironically I may not be able to attend myself now.

but I'd still like to post for anyone interested.

Liu Institute Shaolin?

Can any of you Shaolin gurus give an opinion of this school:

http://www.liuinstitute.com/

It's over the Bay, in Mobile (Alabama), and is pretty much the -only- CMA school within 300 miles, that I know of. I'm thinking of joining but wanted to get the forum's opinion as to whether or not it was reputable. Thanks for any help, guys.

Mike Falken

Thumbs up great school

Hi Mike,
    There are various curricula that you can enroll in at the Liu Institute. Master Liu teaches traditional songshan shaolin kung fu, in addition to the internal systems. In kung fu you will learn traditional exercises and forms, while in tai chi you will study aspects of both yang and chen styles.

Shifu is a student of Shi Su Xi, the former abbot of the Shaolin Temple. I see you are about an hour away. As anyone will tell you on this board, the only way to find out if a school will work for you is to check it out for yourself and try the class. I believe you will enjoy it. Feel free to pm me for more details or any questions.
    Last edited by oasis; 02-28-2004 at 11:09 AM.

Oasis,
    thanks for the response. I've learned to ask about a school, whenever someone mentions a Shaolin Temple connection, as the number of phoneys dwarfs the number of real folks.
    I'll be dropping in to check it out, soon. Any suggestions as to a good hour to roll in?

Thanks

Mike

Mike,

It is definitely good to be wary of certain claims these days. In this case, you don't need to worry. The lineage is authentic. He also trained with Shi De Yang, who is head of the martial monks at the temple and one of the most respected monks today. He recently gave a seminar at the Liu Institute just a few months ago . if you're still curious, you can go to other shaolin monk websites and see that they link the liu institute. in this case, it is on the bottom left under 'shaolin brothers': http://www.americaneuropeanshaolin.c.../linkspage.htm

Anyway, the best thing to do is to email the address at the website to see the best time to come in for an introductory class and to speak to master liu, who will be glad to discuss any questions about the program or training with you. He schedules certain times for prospective stuents. Hope that helps, and please update me with how it goes.
    Last edited by oasis; 03-01-2004 at 11:32 PM.

I emailed 'em a minute ago. Thanks for your help. Good to be able to verify prior to checking it out in person, saves on the paranoia of looking for the 4-yr old blackbelts and such. If the other monks and the KFO peanut gallery say it's legit, that works for me.

BTW, The website mentions Xingyi, is that offered as a seperate system? I've been interested in it for a while, as well as Shaolin itself.

Thanks

Mike

oasis is a pimp
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Re: great school

Originally posted by oasis
    Hi Mike,
    There are various curricula that you can enroll in at the Liu Institute. Master Liu teaches traditional songshan shaolin kung fu, in addition to the internal systems. In kung fu you will learn traditional exercises and forms, while in tai chi you will study aspects of both yang and chen styles.

Shifu is a student of Shi Su Xi, the former abbot of the Shaolin Temple. I see you are about an hour away. As anyone will tell you on this board, the only way to find out if a school will work for you is to check it out for yourself and try the class. I believe you will enjoy it. Feel free to pm me for more details or any questions.
    ok..pulling you up right here...while the liu institue is a v.good school and I considered it for about 30 seconds myself, and having total love and respect for Shi suxi...the guy was never an abbott..( important note: alot of folks have made the same mistake).....the last great grand master of all shaolin..no doubt about it..but an abbott???...I don't think that ever happened

luv that guy
    Last edited by blooming lotus; 02-28-2004 at 05:30 PM.

Re: Re: great school

Originally posted by blooming lotus

ok..pulling you up right here...while the liu institue is a v.good school and I considered it for about 30 seconds myself, and having total love and respect for Shi suxi...the guy was never an abbott..( important note: alot of folks have made the same mistake).....the last great grand master of all shaolin..no doubt about it..but an abbott???...I don't think that ever happened

luv that guy
    MK,
    Thanks, your lessons have been helping

BL,
    so you considered the school? i guess that helps us narrow your location a little more. as for shi su xi, i stand by my statement, as he was the acting abbot until his condition deteriorated. i never said he was an appointed one . as gene said in his article, Shi Yongxin was the first officially appointed abbot since 1987, after Shi Xingzhen suddenly passed away after a brief period as abbot. However, throughout the last several hundred years there were many 'acting abbots.' you can also read more about this and shi su xi in the russbo forums.
    incidentally, shi su xi also has a foreword in the taguo course manual that identifies him as the abbot of shaolin (it was published in 1996 ). hope that helps.

mike,
    the internal curriculum focuses predominantly on yang and chen style taji, but as you progress to the more advanced levels you learn some xing yi and bagua.
    Last edited by oasis; 02-28-2004 at 06:41 PM.

Re: Re: Re: great school

Originally posted by oasis

MK,
    Thanks, your lessons have been helping

RFLAO...all hail MK...king of all things smooth

BL,
    so you considered the school? i guess that helps us narrow your location a little more.

wtf...it's anothe goddammed stalker...seriously dude, I travel alot, and right now...I mean..ahah..I'm in ...where is the liu institute?

lemme breath a bit ha...

as for shi su xi, i stand by my statement, as he was the acting abbot until his condition deteriorated. i never said he was an appointed one . as gene said in his article, Shi Yongxin was the first officially appointed abbot since 1987, after Shi Xingzhen suddenly passed away after a brief period as abbot. However, throughout the last several hundred years there were many 'acting abbots.' you can also read more about this and shi su xi in the russbo forums.

Ok...I concede that he deservedly acted as abbott ...and what do you say about that...it was never offical but facts are facts...is close enough good enough? well ok then

Wasn't Liu also the head coach for the USA sanshou team for awhile?
    Hung Sing Martial Arts Association
    Self Protection, Self Confidence, Physical Fitness
    www.HungSingChoyLayFut.com

Martial Arts Training and fitness Blog
    http://hungsingmartialarts.blogspot.com/

Oasis,
    any idea about how much $/month for instruction? If you don't want to say on an open forum, mfalken@hotmail.com is my email.

Thanks

Mike

Originally posted by Shaolindynasty
    Wasn't Liu also the head coach for the USA sanshou team for awhile?
    I believe so.. but I believe with most things with the us teams.. it was controversial a few years back (but I could be wrong).
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread