Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: opening your kwa

Eulerfan

I think we are doing different things, so what I'm going to say may not apply to what your doing.

Take a bow stance with the left leg forward. Now turn your torso as far tot he left as possible (try to look behind you) Notice how your hip joint "seals". If you look at it, you'll see a line/crease in your pants. So, if you take the left bow and turn your torso all the way to the right, your kuas is open. My bow stance is always front kua closed, back kua opened. To get this, you have to learn how to use your spine as the pivot. If you get it, all the lower body requirements just "fall into place" The feeling is that both feet are digging into the ground at the same time.

Why is it a power position? Well, the front kua closing rotates the entire torso so you get your body weight itno every move. The back kua being opened "pushes" the back foot into the ground. You get a kinda dynamic tension between the two legs. The power comes from closing the front kua and not issuing once the kua is already closed --> it's a dynamic rather than static thing.

It gets weirder, I'm working out of the San Ti now which is BOTH kuas closed. This creates some type of a dropping-pulling power, but I don't understand that one yet. It's a hell of a shape to get though.

** The other school of thought that I know about puts the emphasis on keeping the kua in a half closed position and "pumping" the power through it while dropping the back and butt. I think this is closer to the Chen Taiji methodology byt could be wrong.
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

The kua is associated with the ingrinal grooves of the hip. It can be opened through a variety of means. Some preferable ones are squats (without weights), or leg stretches in very low postures.

Nexus,
    err you mean inguinal?
    The more one sweats in times of peace, the less one bleeds in times of war.

irregardless of how you spell it, thats what I meant.

I think some of you are over-analyzing. I was told to sit the kwa, like a tiger about to pounce. Do it with that mindset and everything falls into place.

Turning the foot shouldn't matter that much. Do what you are comfortable with. If you can eventually get your back foot around to 45 degrees then okay, but don't place too much emphasis on it in my opinion. Different styles do things different ways, and even within the collective "Yang" style there are significant variations.

I just wanted to share a kwa-opening experience I just had...ha ha ha....*groan*...

To sum up, I was sticking my butt out a bit because I felt like
    I was over-tucking the tailbone. Bad idea - it totally screwed up
    my ability to transfer weight smoothly from leg to leg. One
    shouldn't overtuck, but sticking the butt out is definitely taboo.
    And yes, the classics allude to this aspect, how silly of me to
    diverge from ancient wisdom. Basically, a bit of tucking will help
    you to have the arch-shaped kwa that allows weight to smoothly
    shift from leg to leg in a nice arc - like heavy liquid shifting back
    and forth. The center of gravity is on the line connecting to
    two feet. This is all basic stuff, and I'm just sharing it so that
    maybe someone will realize his/her butt-protruding ways and
    save him/herself the frustration I've been dealing with for about
    a month now. It feels good, but it's definitely not "natural" in
    the sense of how people normally hold themselves in this
    butt-loving world we live in.