Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What would you do?

San Soo Student -
    Most motions in tai chi and wushu are very over exaggerated and compromise solid blance
    Very overexaggerated...could you please tell EXACTLY, not some ambigious statement, of what Tai Chi motions you are speaking of? Because frankly, you don't sound like you know what you are talking about in the arts. You also said MOST. So, out of all of the Tai Chi motions, EXACTLY how many out of the one hundred percent are you talking about? And in Tai Chi, which STYLE are you using as your reference?

Please answer, as I suspect you have no idea of what you are talking about.

I would send all of my real friends to a real teacher. That is my very best advice.

I'd get them in shape first. Running, stretches, any exercise activity. Then teach em punching dynamics. How to punch, the mechanics of a punch and showing them the punches. Demonstrate while you're teaching. People understand better. Also show them CORRECT applications. Have them work on that for a while. Then teach them some basic kicks. Front snaps, roundhouse/hooks, side kicks and back kicks. Demo the diff. heights the kicks can go, the range, and timing. Teach them proper distancing and timing. Develop these so they can punch and kick w/ proper timing, speed, power. Good way is to spar light contact w/ proper safety equipment. With punches and kicks come blocking. Show them the diff types of blocks you can use and counters. That should lay a basic foundation for them to develop. Work on drills..lots of punches and kicking. With all this come stances and proper fighting form. Always provide feedback so they know what they're doing wrong or right.

As for grappling..i'm not familiar w/ it. Good street submission techniques are probably joint locks/manipulation like those in aikido or hapkido. Show them some basic throws, and takedowns that don't require you going to the ground. I say this because street self defense is about you running away from trouble not the opposite. So when you do takedowns and throws, you are on your feet to run/escape from trouble.

After all this, incorporate these into their regimen. Spar w/ contact and demonstrate w/ each person. Don't go hardcore on them or they might get discouraged. Most importantly they understand that this is self defense, and only used in last resort.
    Hope this helps.

Id say keep whatever you are trying to show them very simple.
    IXIJoeKaveyIXI

If Wing Chun was a man, he would be The Man...

xie li wong Guest

SanSoo Student and ALL of San Soo Peeps

Have you question the books and the history of san soo yet?
    If so what have you found out?

NOT ON THE FIGHTING OR SKILLS OF MR WOO!!
    Just the history of the books and the style!

I have questioned about the books and my teacher said they were real. I would have ask Jimmy himself but, he has already passed on. My teacher has been with JImmy since the early 80s, so I think his words have some weight.

xie li wong Guest

SanSoo Student

Glad to see you asked!!! But if I where you! I would just do some diging. To see what you come up with! Look at the books(Mr Woos) and look at some chinese books of old! Also read some history on china, and see if the date thing makes any sence. ok

Please let me know what you find. If you need some help just e-mail me

pure brutality, that is what I teach to my friends. Take note, since they are your friends and not some people you are trying to impress with your martial prowess, you got to show them the extreme end of street fighting and what to expect and what not (like seeing too many UFC). Jamming, palm heel strikes (since their knuckles are probably still pink) and cracking people's kness open are the way to go. Fast, simple and painfully brutal, all in less than a minute. Also, teach them how to run, coz I have met a guy who I have a applied a good reverse armbar and gotten out of it through sheer strength! Won't be fun if he isn't on your side.

better still, ask them to take up kung fu or other related martial arts.

xie li wong Guest

SanSoo Student

How long have you been in San Soo, and What have you found out on it's History??

Thanks

Thumbs up The books, and San Soo history

San Soo student: Take them to class with you. They'll learn quickly.

Books and History:

People are working on it. When Jimmy was alive, people did not care about lineages, history, etc. they wantedto learn how to fight and win. They did that. It's only in the last few years that anyone has researched the topic. The history on the association website was, for the most part written by Jimmy's wife. A few people have even gone to china and have found what they say are Jimmy's relatives. Time is running out, however, because anyone that knew Jimmy in china would be extremely old. The family(jimmy's wife) has the books and won't let them out.

Here is what I would do.

1.) Awareness training. This can take many forms.
    2.) Reaction training to given commands(Vocal or visual): i.e. if someone sez jump they must jump, not stand around and ask why or similar.
    One thing I often see neglected in MA training.
    3.) Get them fit and thus more confident.
    4.) Enroll them in a proper SD School or Gym.

Just my 0.2 cents worth.

Talking OT:this reply is compltely on topic

no really, it is

I'd teach them this one part of chum kui, where youv'e just pulled to one side, launch a wong gerk/sidekick then step down in the ong sau/wu sau structure.

now the tricky part come where you move your hands into the other structure, this is done FWIROMHO* so that you have space in which to send the elbow back up, thus createing that next step.

the movement of the elbow to the settled posture could coinide with the slight rise of the forward knee creating space for the step.

ie drop elbow, raise knee, bong sau, step/bui ma, stop with bong sau, drop elbow...ect, till the uppercut (yup thats all that is, an uppercut ) this would result in two distinct steps. a slight, but definate picking up of the foot with the droping of the elbow, then an equally obvious dropping and pulling with the bong

However, after some sample steps I believe the form should more settle or drop into the position after the bong sau, useing the 20/80 weight posture, adducting the drop of the elbow from a rooted position. then bongsau, step/bui ma, settle,bong sau, step/bui ma. settle. in other words the bongsau should begin before the step, and end with the step.

hey this is the section of CK you see that guy do before the karateka flattens him(in that mcdojo vid). thats why you gotta practice!

ok i sleep now.
    "Cyanide is a dangerous chemical. That's why it is a crime to possess it without a peaceful purpose," said U.S. Attorney Fitzgerald.

Teach them some basic boxing:

Jab, hooks, straight right, upper cut, straight left, combos, jab/jab straight left, Jab/ pivot hook, etc.

Also some foot work:

Pivots, 45 degree setup, slips, and some head bobing, keep chin down, etc.

Also some wing chun:

Gan so, Tan so, chain punching, pak so, & some sensitivity training.

And: Some low rep weight training. Military press, bentover rows, barbell curls, shrugs, dumbell bench, etc.