Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: all bagua tournament

Question all bagua tournament

Who went to the tournament?????

MonkeyBoy Guest
    Is there going to be video footage of the event available soon?

I saw it it was part of the wong fei hung tournament. The push hands was very good and the sparring was interesting. In the sparring they would move around and do open hand stike at each other and throw a kick here and there.

Thumbs up Thumbs up to Maoshan!

Hopefully the seed will grow and branch out into an annual tradition. Two thumbs up to BlackTaoist and his students. You guys won the day. Thumbs down to all you guys and girls who said you'd be there and didn't show or sat on your hands. Don't miss out next year!
    Count

Live it or live with it.

KABOOOM

ummm.....so how was it? In terms of how were the seminars, demonstrators, any masters' demo, did the fighting actually feature bagua usage, etc? A positive review is fine, but some description would really be useful.

Thanks,
    Phil

I'd love to hear how it went - from each of your perspectives. Let's hear it!
    "Never interrupt your enemy when they are making a mistake."
    --- Napoleon

"MonkeySlap is a brutal b@stard." -- SevenStar
    "Forgive them Lord, they know not what MS2 can do." -- MasterKiller
    "You're not gonna win a debate (or a fight) with MST. Resistance is futile." - Seven Star

Is there or is there going to be a posting of who the winners were, in each category? This may be on BT's website?

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    I really liked what I saw. Of course there were some 'questionable' forms out there, but all in all, it was good. The shuai-jiao was pretty interesting, the sparring was a little chaotic, but this is a new event, a new arena, and it will take some time to get the bugs out. These are students with limited experience, so it is natural that under duress, they will fall back on what comes out naturally-untill they develop the conditioned responses. I admit I was a little hasty in judging them, and after thought and consideration, I think that they did fine.
    Congratulations and deepest respect goes out to these men who had the guts, determination, and courage to develop this new venue for Ba-gua. I can see this becoming a new tradition at future events.

I heard that there was a "ring" for the Bagua competition and that participants were docked points or penalized if they went outside the "ring." Not being there, and only hearing about this secondhand, I wonder if someone could comment on this.

If there was a ring, what size was it? If it were a small ring, wouldn't this tend to cramp or restrict the bagua movements?

Originally posted by phil
    ummm.....so how was it? In terms of how were the seminars, demonstrators, any masters' demo, did the fighting actually feature bagua usage, etc? A positive review is fine, but some description would really be useful.

Thanks,
    Phil
    Like hispanic palm said in the other thread, there will be workshops and stuff next year and they invited everyone they knew who was associated with bagua. No demos though . In my opinion, a few of the fights turned into brawls but everyone tried their best to only use bagua and stay in the confines of the rules.

As far as the ring, I know I lost alot of points because of the size. It did seem small to me, but it was still fun.

PS, I noticed you at the tourny TenTigers. Man, if there was ever someone who looked like their profile, it is you. Sorry we didn't get a chance to meet.
    Count

Live it or live with it.

KABOOOM

whole lotta fun

I really enoyed the tounament, it was really worth the trip out there. The push hands was the highlight of the event for me, but I enjoyed everything. I will say that some Bagua looked questionable to me, but I've never seen anything outside of my lineage. I really look forward to competing next year. Maybe then I'll have the time/funds to hang out with more of the Bagua players. I really enjoyed meeting Maoshan, Blacktaoist, Count, and many others over there. Taking the trip out there was not easy for me to accomplish, but the tournament and the people were totally worth it. I don't know if I could've had a better time, but I plan on finding out next year.
    All great truths begin as heresy

My perspective of the tournament

I went to the tournament and I had allot of fun and met some very cool people. I feel fortunate to have been able to participate in the first tournament dedicated to Bagua. I was under the impression beforehand that there were going to be allot more people participating. I am sure next year there will be because it seemed to go off fairly smooth. I thought that they should have made all of the rules clear before the sparring started. I did not realize until the end of the second round that I was losing a point every time I stepped off of the mat. The mat was about 10 or 12 feet on each side, kind of small I thought. I also think that they should have given more time to rest between fights. I was also hoping to see a little more variety of forms being performed. These are just a couple of my thoughts.

Lincoln

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    um..I look like a dinosaur? :-)

Could somebody please describe how the push hands competition went? Was it a shoving match or was there good skill being displayed?

Smile

the push hands event was more of a wrestling match until it got to the advanced stage.
    two of my senior brothers showed us how it was supposed to be done.
    their was no weight catagory just skill level seperation.
    I was in the intermediate and got PUSHED/shoved out fo the ring more times so i lost. but next time
    it was still a good time.
    peace to Count for showing up.
    Where the hell is RAZAK?
    fu2