Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: just saw Jackie Chan's Tuxedo!!!

Jackie Chan's Tuxedo Reviews?

I thought the movie was pretty bad, the only good thing I thought was seeing what the suit could do.
    And also Jennifer Love Hewitt didn't hurt my eyes either

Thumbs down

Jakcie is allowed a bad one every once in a while. This one will sit with The Protector and Burn Hollywood Burn. What a stinker. Stupid story and I could have done those stunts. And I couldn't stand Hewitt, she was so annoying.

But I did like the James Brown part. That was the highlight of the film.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Yeah I did like the end scene with him and james brown, that was cool. I thought that the last part was soooooo dumb with him and that girl. I hope Shanghai Knights will be better.

Shanghai Noon is Jackie's only tolerable US film so far (I've avoided the Rush Hours because Chris Tucker makes me want to dig a grave somewhere remote) so I too have high hopes for Shanghai Knights.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

I hated the way they made Jackie Chan look like the Caucasian stereotype of the typical "Asian male wimp." I've made similar complaints about other American films before starring Jackie, Jet Li, Chow Yun-fat, etc.

Ironically, the other night on AMC I saw Bruce Lee: A Warrior's Journey, and they show a clip of the interview Bruce gave in 1971 where he mentions the fact that Hollywood never shows a true Asian in films, only the Western stereotypes. It's pretty pathetic that 31 years after that interview Asian males are still typecast in these subservient wimpy roles.

Jim

Jimbo

Ain't that the truth? Asain male leads still can't kiss the girl. Jackie did score a kiss in Rush Hour 2, but it was a latina, not a white woman. And who can forget Briget Fonda accusing Jet of being gay in KoD? Actually neither of them did a lot of kissing on screen, even in their HK movies. Remember Jackie's Big/Battle Creek Brawl love scene in the beginning of the movie? That was pretty daring, even back then. But then he winds up kissing the villain, so what can you say?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I think you may be reading too much into this. For some reason that I've never been able to figure out, almost no martial arts movies have romance subplots, whether the star is asian, anglo, or what.

The only exception that jumps to mind right now is "Black Belt Jones" and that's as much blaxploitation pic as kungfu flick, which throws the formula a curve anyway.

Oh, and Samo's romance of that fishery owner in "Dragons Forever" but that was a really chaste love affair.
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

The Fong Say Yuk movies have romantic sub-plots. In the second one he ends up with TWO wives... now what's more romantic than that?

Two wives? That's more like a horror movie than a kung fu movie.

And, I like Jennifer Love Hewitt. Very, very, very much. She's very talented. Not irritating at all.

What about Crouching Tiger?

CTHD had so much romance, it was the first western kungfu chick flik. And we love it for that.

But how many scenes can you name where an Asian man kissed a white woman? On the contrary, look at Tomorrow Never Dies (even Michelle was choking on the "Oh, James!" line.)

By the way, M. Butterfly doesn't count here.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Gene:
    I hear ya. Actually, it would have been great if Jackie had gotten more of a kiss at the end of Rush Hour 2, instead of just a friendly little peck.

Americans (non-Asian Americans, that is) have no problems with Asian women being with white or African-American males; however, they are extremely uncomfortable showing Asian males being romantic with white or Afro-American females. Such movie portrayals do affect reality. People in general are very much influenced by what the media shows. If they see something often enough, it becomes the accepted view for them. Hence, many Caucasian males are enthralled with "exotic" Asian women; but Causasian women are not in general attracted to Asian men, and certainly not to the same degree. At best they see us as "nice" or "cute" because that's the roles given us.

To be fair, Rob Cohen tried to break "some" of the stereotypes with Russell Wong in the pilot episode of "Vanishing Son" but the series degenerated into a cheesy rehash of the old "Kung Fu" series before it was understandably canceled.
    Jim

I see lots of white chicks with asian boyfriends around UT. And I know lots of gals of all shades and tones who dampen themselves spontaneously at the mention of Jackie Chan or Chow Yun Fat. My point? That some dumb@ss hollywood execs are missing out on a big potential market, 'cause I don't disagree with anything said on the subject so far.

Except I can't believe I forgot CTHD when it comes to KF romance pictures.
    Crippled Avenger

I am nothing.

Don't forget Romeo Must Die. If I remember correctly that movie was some what romantic?
    I am nothing.

csn & qd

csn - Hey I'm married to a caucasian woman. And it's funny some of the comments we get when we travel.

qd - I wouldn't call RoD a romance. It had the potentail but still no kiss.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips