Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: just saw Jackie Chan's Tuxedo!!!

Exclamation Getting back to TUXEDO

Saw about half of the Movie.... (snuck in after catching REDDragon, which I recomend). Came on at about the point where Jackie & the chick discover the underground Pool/lab.

as the movie continued I realised that Jackie Chan was lending his name to this movie, but beyond that it wasn't recognisable as a Jackie Chan flick...
    Chris Rock could have played that role and probably been funnier.

I'll probably rent it when it comes out on DVD to see the rest of it....

Jackie's bombs

Actually I think Jackie just wanted to work with Dreamworks. I mean after Burn Hollywood Burn, Jackie established how much he likes to smooze.

Don't get me wrong - I love Jackie Chan films. I even went out for the premiere of this one regretably. But if you know Jackie, you know he's good for one stinker every three or so movies. And one really good one every ten or so. Fortunately he puts out so many movies that the stinkers soon fade from memory and the good ones remain.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

nice rack

Hey Stumble, Jackie couldn't understand "nice rack" either, so you're out of touch but at least you're in good company. Jackie has come out poublicly and said "I hated it (tuxedo)" He often bashes his own movies - something I've always admired in him. He said he only did it to work with Spielberg, and that was a pleasure, even though Spielberg didn't really direct it.

BTW, I saw Hewitt's music video, Bare Naked. It would have been far better if she was. She launched an ablum on the heels of Tuxedo and was pushing that more when she did the promotional rounds. Can't say I blame her. Wasn't impressed by her singing talents either.

Let's hope Shanghai Nights is better.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Originally posted by Chang Style Novice
    I think you may be reading too much into this. For some reason that I've never been able to figure out, almost no martial arts movies have romance subplots, whether the star is asian, anglo, or what.

The only exception that jumps to mind right now is "Black Belt Jones" and that's as much blaxploitation pic as kungfu flick, which throws the formula a curve anyway.

Oh, and Samo's romance of that fishery owner in "Dragons Forever" but that was a really chaste love affair.
    Van Damme has had plenty of love scenes. So has Don "The Dragon" Wilson. "Ring of Fire" was basically a martial arts romance story.

As a whole though, nah, you don't see alot of romance in martial arts films.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

As a whole though, nah, you don't see alot of romance in martial arts films.
    wat the hellll romance has to do with Martial arts films...??
    jackie rocks...
    -TkdWarrior-
    Knowledge, Like sex is better when it's free

Van Damme is white

It's a race thing. Don Wilson looks hapa to me, but I don't know for sure. Hapa can kiss (is. Keanu, Kristen Kreuk) but asian men cannot (unless it's an asian woman.)

It's really not an issue of romance in martial arts films. It's more about how asian male leads are portrayed in mainstream media. As more asian men get lead roles, it'll be interesting to see how long this trends holds out. After all, we asian males are so kissable, especially if you're a hollywood starlet.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Jackie's closet films

Well, like I said earlier, Jackie is good for a stinkeroo every 4th film or so. Hopefully he got it out of his system. I guess they shot a whole big fight scene at the end that was cut. I wonder what genius cut that out?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

just saw tuxedo

I enjoyed it.

I have a personal story about it actually, seeing as it was filmed right around the corner from where i work.

so, i pull up in my car and find a sweeeeet spot (hard to do in toronto) and as soon as I get all snugged in, this guy and girl run up to my car all shaking their arms like I ran over their cat or something.

I open the door and step out of my car, they say "you can't park here, we're filming.

"Filming what" I said.

"Jackie Chan movie" the girl said pointing at all the trucks and what not all over the place, lights umbrellas and lo and behold, the Chan man.

I moved my car.

anyway, what did the rest of you think of it?

cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.

that tale sounds more interesting than the movie from all accounts

guess i will have to see it just so i can say i have

dawood
    Peace is not the product of terror or fear.
    Peace is not the silence of cemeteries.
    Peace is not the silent result of violent repression.
    Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all.
    Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity.
    It is right and it is duty.

It was no City Hunter.

I'm not sure whether I mean that in a good way or a bad way.
    But hey I'm all for better Asian portrayals. It seems we're barely a step beyond Charlie Chan and Mr. Moto at times. Oh well, at least Asians actually get to play their flat boring stereotypes now, instead of having to have white guys stand in for them. How sad was that?!
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.
    In practice, there is.

Kung Lek

lol! Stumble is right. You shoulda duked it out with Jackie. No doubt he would ahve sent his stunt team heavies in after you, but what a tale that would have made.

I guess I'd like Sux-edo if I had that experience with it too...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

ok, i'm inspired, next time he shoots here in T.O, I'm gonna track him down and poke him in the eye!!

cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Of course, on the other hand...

... I'd hate to hear that one of our forum members blinded Jackie. That would be so, so, Van Damme.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Lets face it why would an asian man want to kiss a caucasian woman when asian women are so much better (in general, obviously there are some beautiful caucasians too!).
    In The One, isnt Jet Li married to a caucasian woman?

Don' HK films stereotype just as much as western ones? Look at the western bad guys in any HK kung fu flick?

In fact look at most of the characterisations and plots, for the most part they are cliched or take-offs of Hollywood movies.

Japanes cinema seems a little different and, of course, were copied in the form of Fisitful of of Dollars and similar. However I don't see a HK film like Kagemusha or Saving Private Ryan. In that respect HK cinema would seem closer to Bollywood than Hollywood.
    www.systemauk.com
    "Remember it's not a move, it's just a movement" Vasiliev