Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ATTN COUNT: What did you think?

This is absolutely my last post here

It was a pleasure meeting you, I'm glad we got that out of the way.

My comment was not directed towards you, because you were not a competitor. In fact, I saw you doing a little thing here and there and thought you moved well. I believe you would have cleared up in there as well.

I would just like to say the following before leaving here for good:

1) I told you the truth: My master does not want me fighting out until I can represent his Way. I am not there yet. But I honestly feel I would have done quite well at that event.

2) You have seen what you were SHOWN. Read all the posts you have made here. Now, if you were my master, what would you show yourself?

3) You are a Ba Gua sifu, so I commend you for that because I know the time and effort that must have gone into that. How long have you trained Ba Gua? I am now approaching my two year mark (February). A little more time and I will obtain that information from my training brother.

4) For the record, I did not say a bad thing about any of those schools. I erased my posts because I don't want to be involved with this talk drama. I'm training to win! I'm embaressed with myself for being drawn into this.

5) Lastly I have never said anthing against you. We've disagreed over methodolgy in the past, but I don't know anyhting about you other then you promote yourself very well. When we do meet up again, know that I have no personal feelings toward you.

No need to reply because I won't be back to check.

Ray Pina

Crimson Phoeinix, I agree with you wholeheartedly. I try to keep an open mind in all things. No technique or style is perfect, my master says that all the time. Sorry if I painted a different picture. My point, as stated: from MY experince (notice the MY I always include), I'm training with the best.

Funny, thing is. When I read other people's posts, especially in the WC formum where people speak highly of their teachers, I say I'm happy for them, that they found a great teacher, what they are looking for. I don't tell them they are wrong. Why? Because I have no doubts about who I am training with.

Peace to all.
    Last edited by Ray Pina; 10-04-2002 at 12:16 PM.

Thumbs up Truth is Just Truth

1) I told you the truth: My master does not want me fighting out until I can represent his Way. I am not there yet. But I honestly feel I would have done quite well at that event.
    Bottom line is , if you are not there yet, then way the hell are you talking like you are? Why post like you are a high level fighter, Yet you say you are not. Man you need to take a look at the real side of martial arts, at the sametime take a look at all your post, Any body reading your posts, would think you are a very skilled martial art fighter.

The bottom line is, if you honestly think you could have did so well at the event, the ring was open for you or anybody that day that wanted to test their level of BaGua skills. And there was BaGua competitors in the ring ready for you, all you had to do is step in the ring, simple not complicated at all. $hit Count and a few others from KFO did it, Why not you., and some of these guys don't even live in New York. But You do!

Bottom line, people love to talk a good game, But when when you face a opponent you don't know, what you learn in class may not work on the next man, no matter how Great your Teacher is you are learning from. When you are on the streets or even in a tournament fighting, its about YOU" Not your Teacher." You represent your understand of utilizing BaGua in sparring, this have nothing to do with your Teacher fighting skills, only your own."

2) You have seen what you were SHOWN. Read all the posts you have made here. Now, if you were my master, what would you show yourself?
    Its not about me being a master , Because I'm not . But If I give a workshop I'm going to show people Bagua $hit that will make them think? Like I said Your teacher show some good freestyle combat applications. He mostly demonstrate on count, and the techniques he perform was alright, I 've seen better even if thats what we were SHOWN."

After all its not about showing yourself, its about showing people that came to see him, so why hold back knowledge from others that want to learn, hey thats not my style.

Like I said my motto is keeping $hit real, and because of my philosophy people are going to like me or hate me. But the bottom line is I'm going to tell you the truth. The real deal."

3) You are a Ba Gua sifu, so I commend you for that because I know the time and effort that must have gone into that. How long have you trained Ba Gua? I am now approaching my two year mark (February). A little more time and I will obtain that information from my training brother and pay you a visit.

I 'm a BaGuaZhang practitioner, like many others in the world. I don't claim to be a master, or sifu. But I have people that call themself my students. I teach uptown manhattan, you can pay me a vist anytime you like, you can test me out , or any of the people I train, they be more then willing. Mostly thats all these guys like to do is spar.

No need to reply because I won't be back to check.
    So you claim. Maybe not as EvolutionFist. But if you do come back on KFO, Keep $hit real!!

Peace Out
    Lao Qiang
    Last edited by blacktaoist; 10-04-2002 at 01:17 PM.

Thumbs up Kewl

So your instructor has 2 handed saber and flying dragon? staff classes now Evo-Fist?

I know of Kenjutsu school and a couple Classical Europen Fencing schools(not sport fencing). I was always looking for someone who taught chinese weapons separate from the empty hand forms so you dont have to commit to a style just to learn how to use them.

Do you have to learn the empty hand styles before you can take the class?
    Last edited by Leonidas; 10-06-2002 at 08:52 AM.

Reply to Leonidas

To Leonidas:

Thank you for your interest! Weapons can be learned separately from the empty hands curriculum. In the old days, we had weapons classes in conjunction with the hand-to-hand courses. Obviously, the classes were extremely long. In the early 1990's, some classes ran to 1:00 AM on Fridays. Over time, some of the guys got married and this was not going to work. This is why separate classes - solely on weapons such as the 2-handed saber and the long tapered pole - were started.
    As a final aside, another classmate and I attended seminars on Western European swordsmanship and observed a class in Spanish sword fencing taught by a very gracious teacher. Each time, we walked away with respect for other systems, met interesting people, and made friends. While each group is proud of his particular system (and rightly so -each worked hard in learning his respective system), we all shared a common love for swordsmanship; none of us engaged in that "our system is better than yours" silliness. The important thing is to study hard and work hard at whatever school you are at, listen to your teacher, and work on the basics.
    As always, it's nice to hear from another sword enthusiast. Cheers!

- Carl
    Last edited by Carl M; 10-07-2002 at 01:29 PM.

Smile Reply to Count

Count:
    Again, please allow me to say again what a pleasure it was to meet you. While we're from different schools, we share the same enthusiasm for this stuff. Further, it was a big deal for you to take some time out of your busy life to be at our school, especially since it was Sunday and you had to be back to work on the Left Coast the following day. Your visit was deeply appreciated!
    After meeting you, I also know that you have a sly sense of humor! Too bad you don't live in the NYC area so we can hang out and slam down some beers.
    To respond to some of your posts (I can't get to all of them because I have to get back to work), I must first apologize for my poorly written replies. What I meant was that there was simply not enough time that Sunday to show all of what pagua has to offer. Who can condense an entire system into a lecture of a few hours' duration? The next thing is that I do not expect anyone to publish his school's particular methodology on the net. First, no written article can match a hands-on "show and tell" lecture. Second, it would be unfair to ask anyone to bare his system to the general public (teaching it to his class is a different story).
    On that note, I have to get back to work. I'll be busy the next few weeks and I won't be able to view this Forum for a while.
    Wishing you the best.
    - Carl M

Count

Jeff:

Since Ray will be absent from the forums until further notice, I was designated by Master Chan to reply to one of your questions and to address some concerns.

Don't feel bad. Just yesterday, my teacher said that you're not bad for someone from the "outside". Otherwise, he would not have bothered crossing hands with you as much as he did in the two occasions that he saw you.

About the $20,000 reward that he offered 20+ years ago--his intention was not to challenge anyone but to look for a tai chi sifu. Unfortunately, he did not find anyone that matched his criteria; instead, he learned from many other masters since that time.

At the moment, the $20,000 reward is null and void. If anything, considering his level now, he should be given $20,000!

I hope this clarifies any misunderstanding.

Sincerely,

Cherry Lou Sy
    TV Sucks.

"Outsider"? Outside of what, the tri-state area?

This thread is good times. Carry on.

Smile Reply to Waidan

Of course Count is an outsider; he's outside of Manhattan!

Note: New Yorkers tend to think of the other 4 boroughs as "the outer boroughs".... Just kidding!

Count's a cool guy with a good sense of humor. If you've heard even half the stories he told us about his wild & crazy days...Too bad the man lives on the Left Coast; he would've been a fine addition to more fun-loving members here.

Talking LMAO!

We're all outsiders here in Southern Cali, Waiden, hence your previous location tag which I just noticed has changed. You should pay us a visit up here sometime.

Cherry and Carl,

What's up, thanks for the replies. I realize EF won't be posting for a while but my questions were mainly for you guys anyway. That $20,000 thingy caught my eye though, epsecially since I know a few Tai Chi instructors who love to push hands anytime and would eat that up. Actually, i have no questions other than curiosities and interests. My questions were mainly about training and strategy and not about anyones personalities in the first place. Maybe EF mis-understood or took personal something I said to some other posters on this forum.

Since I have your attention, and Cherry has been designated representative, I have one specific question for your teacher. While I was there he gave me some insight into root and internal training to develop root. What he showed was stationary. I wonder how the training and usage translates to moving. Could you ask for more training methods or tips. If he just shows and says nothing that can be put into words, I'll understand, but if he can say something, please pass it along.
    Count

Live it or live with it.

KABOOOM