Thread: Dachengchuan seminar

Dachengchuan seminar

I am happy to announce for the first time in the Southwest U.S. Master Wang Rengang will be conducting a intensive weekend workshop on Dachengchuan "Great Achievements Fist" in ALBUQUERQUE, NM. NOVEMBER 2-3, 2002. Held at Martial Artistry 2500 Jefferson NE.

Saturday November 2, 2002 12pm-5pm
    Dachengchuan Techniques
    Jijizhuang "Standing Meditation"
    Shi Li "Strength Testing"
    Mocabu"Friction Step"
    Fali "Exerting Force"
    Learn basic techniques and theories that will enhance any stylists' understanding of center line theory, sensitivity to others root and one's own root, and the proper use of Fajin. Dachengchuan is an effective, easy to learn exercise that also has incredible health benefits. By training the mind and the body simultaneously you improve both your physical, as well as your mental health. Dachengchuan combines the mechanism of force from Xing Yi; Tai Ji's skills of attacking, sticking, joining, and following; Bagua's deceptive, flowing foot work; and the quintessence of Qigong. It is for all levels from any style.

Sunday November 3, 2002 9am-2pm

Tuishou "Push Hands"
    Apply the techniques learned Saturday to push hands and maneuvering practice. The goal of this seminar is not to teach you a new form of push hands, nor to prove that any one is better than another. The goal is to teach concepts that can be applied to any martial art whether it be Chi Sau from Wing Chun, Karate, Bagua, or shaolin. Dachengchuan will enhance your overall sensitivity, and ability to "listen" to your opponent's subtle moves.

BOTH DAYS $100
    ONE DAY $75

Master Wang is the student of Wang Xuan Jie, who was in turn the student of Dachengchuan's founder Wang Xian Zhai. He has been involved in the Chinese Martial Arts for over 30 years and is proficient in the arts of Dachengchuan, Northern Mantis, Tai Ji, Xing Yi, and Bagua. For more info on Master Wang or Dachengchuan visit www.dachengdao.com

FOR INFO OR TO RESERVE YOUR SPACE PLEASE CONTACT:

JAKE BURROUGHS 505-298-8904
    OR tanglangbaji@hotmail.com

Does Yiquan have weapons training?

Number 1: Yi Quan is different than Dachengchuan.

As far as weapons goes; there are no specific weapons or wepaon sets to the best of my knowledge. The great thing about Dachengchuan is that you can apply it's theories and techniques to anything. Literally anything, including weapons, push hands, sparring, full contact etc.
    For more specific info and questions Master Wang is the one to ask: www.dachengdao.com

Regards,
    Jake

Yiquan is different from dachengquan?

Um....what?

Thats the first time i've ever heard that.

From the Dachengdao website:

"The International Dachengdao Kung Fu Center is committed to providing quality instruction in the internal Chinese martial arts. The school offers instruction in Dachengquan (also known as Yiquan), Northern Mantis, Chinese weapons and Qigong in the New York and Northern New Jersey area. It is our sincere desire that our students acquire a deep understanding of kung fu."

Is that merely a simplification?

Here is a detailed history of the evolution of Yiquan and why some still call it Dachengchuan. The rest of the site gives a very comprehensive overview of Yiquan training and theory.

http://www.yiquan.com.pl/history.html

I know for sure that every teacher has a different style/interpretation of Yiquan but never that there was a difference in name. I dont get it...

The story as i know it from every Yiquan site that i visited was that it was simply known as Yiquan up until a certain time, but then a group of his students thought it would be a good idea for Wang to rename it Dachengquan since they thought that he had completed the style. He disapproved saying something like "Yiquan will never be complete and that name would cause too much trouble" (something to that effect). Anyway, Dachengquan had already been used in a publication before he could stop them and for a short while people adopted the new name. After a while students reverted back to the original name i think after Wang passed away. Thats my rough summary of the reason for the 2 names but maybe you know something that i dont.
    Last edited by Leonidas; 10-03-2002 at 06:27 AM.

MonkeyBoy Guest
    Originally posted by Leonidas
    The story as i know it from every Yiquan site that i visited was that it was simply known as Yiquan up until a certain time, but then a group of his students thought it would be a good idea for Wang to rename it Dachengquan since they thought that he had completed the style.
    The story goes something like this, Wang Xiangzhai trained since youth by Master Guo Yunseng mastered Hsing Yi and took a trip around China to test his skills. He was so impressed with what he learned he decided to further develop his personal style with what he had learned.

The story from here as I know it from "Da Chen" practitioners is that when the style was first developed it had no name. When asked about his style always he stated that it was in development and referred to it only as Hsing Yi Quan but without form, thus Yi Quan.

During it's development many people came to study and left. The current lineage holder Wang Rengang still has these records and it appears that after they left many students started schools on their own and adopted the name Yi Quan, as it was all they had to go on.

However it was during this time when people such as the Yao brothers set up shop and the teachings were reaching as far as Japan that Master Xiangzhai undertook another tour of China to test what he had developed. Upon his return home he standardized it's practices and finally named the system: Da Cheng Quan.

Some people have blamed the Yao's because of their prominence for the confusion, some blame the cultural revolution for it's deliberate misinformation but all agree that the name Da Cheng Quan was what Wang Xuanjie used and he is Master Xiangzhai's inheritor.

What I found "funny" was that Grand Master Wang died only a few short years ago and all the "legit" Yi Quan and "Takki Ken" teachers never challenged him on this matter when he was alive.

It comes down to Yi Quan people saying Da Cheng Quan is the same and the "Da Chen" people saying it's not and that the Yi Quan people have no reference from which to make their claim. I have never met anyone who got heated over this argument and I have spoken to people on both sides of the fence. It's almost as polite a misunderstanding as they get.

Thats the first time i've heard that version of things. So your saying thats theres a separation of people calling the art dachengquan and yiquan and they both have a separate account of the events. Thats odd. Atleast everyones civil about it. Certain *cough* wingchun *cough* people on a certain board can take your example.

Arrow New thread

Hi Everyone!
    First, thanks to Tanglangbaji for announcing my upcoming seminar in New Mexico. I didn't know about this thread until someone EMailed it to me to alert me to the Yiquan vs. Dachengquan controversy. I really appreciate Tanglang's help in setting up this seminar for me. He's a dynamic promoter and an excellent writer and I urge any master who wishes to go to NM to contact him because he knows how to get the ball rolling. I never thought about New Mexico as a place to do a seminar before speaking with Tanglang, so to the masters I say keep an open mind to go anywhere you may be requested and to all students I say if you want masters to come to your hometown sometime all you have to do is ask. As for myself, I'll go anywhere requested if someone will do the legwork in setting things up for me.
    Second, thanks to Monkey Boy for clearing up some misinformation that's been floating around the internet for sometime. The subject is a very important one for me to discuss so I am starting a new thread to address this. Please go to: "Yiquan vs. Dachengquan Controversy"
    Thanks!

I too apologize if I confused anyone. I am NO expert in Yi Quan or Dachengchuan. My knowledge is very shallow in these areas. Please consult Wang Rengang about these specifics.
    Again, sorry for confusing things more.

Jake

Reply to Jake

Hi Jake,
    Why are you apologizing? Your writing was very good and I appreciate all your hard work in setting up this seminar for me. You are an excellent promoter and writer, and I feel very lucky to be working with you!