Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Anime

Thumbs up

Good list, Chang Style Novice.
    K. Mark Hoover

I can't help myself. I'm artsy f@rtsy to the core.

Recently I've been renting a lot of pictures that are biographies of famous painters.

"Vincent and Theo" is way better than "Lust for Life." "Basquiat" is pretty good (and directed by a famous painter, to boot) and so is "Pollock" but stay away from "The Agony and the Ecstacy." If you really need to see Charlton Heston that badly, you're better off with "Ben Hur" "El Cid" "Planet of the Apes" or even "Soylent Green."
    Last edited by Chang Style Novice; 10-02-2002 at 08:58 PM.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

Stacey Guest
    Don't watch LA blue girl with your familly. I've seen one episode a la morpheous. Its pretty good, the ninja sex, but the demon tentacle rape is too much for me.

Miyake's "Spirited Away" is a must see, steeped in some of the worlds great myths, that movie is still playing through my brain.

then there was another one with us celeb voice overs with wolfs and boars and the forest spirit vs. iron town and a princess mononoke? with the wolves....great one.

I saw one when I was little about a girl in the valley of the wind with big glass eyed beasts.

That's "Nausicaa," Stacey

(some anime is good. Tough to go wrong with Studio Ghibli)
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

Stacey.

Check this site:

http://www.nausicaa.net/

Cheers.

LA BLUE GIRL is the utimate NINJA movie...it contains drama...comedy...action...and action...and action...and all sorts of long weapons...long tools...it's cum full!
    A

Originally posted by Ralek
    I have hentai wall paper on my computer. My roomate thinks i'm wierd. I just say that all anime including Hentai is a part of MMA and if you want to be a good figther then you will have to evolve and study anime and hentai just like the pros in the UFC and Pride are doing.
    Yes, Pokemon has a VERY good martial arts influence. Then again there WAS that episode with the Ninjas, plus the fighting Pokemon...

Edit: What is with this UFC Dragonball crap? People are entering UFC now saying they are doing Dragonball martial arts? There is hardly any martial arts fighting on the show, and what martial arts thre is tends to be impossible stuff such as throwing 50 kicks in a second while flying. Most of it is just people shooting one another with beams.
    Last edited by PHILBERT; 10-02-2002 at 09:47 PM.
    I have a signature.

How in the living hell is this thread still in existence??

LOL, thanks guys, I am now dumber for having read through this thing!

Though some of Chang's movie pics are pretty good.
    And Mononoke and Nausicaa are also great stories.

The rest of the garbage leave in the garbage bin.
    Ryu
    "No judo! NO NO!"

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

Attain your highest ability, and continue past it. Emotion becomes movement. Express that which makes you; which guides you. Movement and Mind without hesitation. Physical spirituality...
    This is Jeet Kune Do....

Chang Style Novice,

Those aren't movies. These are MOVIES-

You can count on me
    Prince of Tides
    Terms of Endearment
    American Movie
    Scent of a Woman
    Thelma and Louise
    Reality Bites
    Good Will Hunting

'nuff said
    Go forward, my son, and
    be like unto a torch
    upon the darkness. Thou
    are stripped now, of all
    that was before. Look
    not to thy fellow men
    for guidance or
    countenance- they canst
    advise you no longer.
    Thou shalt be as dust
    now, and dust shall be
    upon the tongues of thy
    enemy. Verily, thou
    shalt herald the coming
    of the new age upon
    man."

I hate to see people knocking DBZ. It's a fun and entertaining show, quit trying to be some sort of "anime purist" or whatever.
    The best anime ever is Neon Genesis Evangelion. Ninja Scroll and Ghost in the Shell are also great. I'm currently watching Oh My Goddess and although it isn't exactly exciting, it's still quite good.

KungFu Guy.

We are NOT knocking DBZ, just stating facts about it.
    Ever seen Gasaraaki or Votoms?

Other great ones are:
    Tenshi no Tamago
    Blood
    Jin Roh
    Memories
    Hotaru no haka
    Patlabor I & II (III should be soon on DVD)
    Avalon (Not an Anime, but great)
    Zeiram (Both Anime and Life action)
    etc.

Cheers.
    Last edited by Shadow Dragon; 10-02-2002 at 10:15 PM.

Streisand? Ew....

"Thelma and Louise" and "Terms of Endearment" are pretty good, but "Scent of a Woman" has probably the worst performance of Pacino's career. Seriously, he's so hammy in that he may as well be a bacon sammich. I haven't seen the others, but as to "Good Will Hunting," the only 1/2way decent picture I've seen with Matt Damon was "The Talented Mr. Ripley." Okay, I guess "Dogma" was about 1/3 decent. And the last good flick Robin Williams made was "The Fisher King," since then it's been just flat, flavorless mush as far as I can tell.

But, that's just strokes and folks, really

To return to my picks, I'm not kidding, "In a Lonely Place" is just brilliant. I relate WAY too strongly to the Bogart character in that one for my own comfort. If only I had Bogie's effect on women.
    Crippled Avenger

Some good Movies that some of the older
    members might remember:

Love Story
    Ice Castles
    Brians Song

Seeya.

Evangelion seems weird to me, too complicated.

Now for some strange reason I'm into gundam 0083 ,cowboybebop ( the ending sucks), and outlaw star (of course I watch adult swim,anime only though).

Well I wanna see sit of the north star but I heard it's way too bloody.
    killer kung fu commando streetfighter who has used his devastating fighting system to defeat hordes of attackers in countless combat situations

Northernmantis.

A lot of Anime is bloody, in the USA they removed plenty of blood from DBZ to show it on TV.

They also to some funny other changes b4 showing Anime on TV.

Seeya.