Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chang style

Quiet Chang, we're trying to be helpful.

Anxiety attacks, basically dreading social interaction on some level. I used to get them at a moderate level, still do in crowds. Not anything where I wig out or something, just uncomfortable, and somewhat a vicious cycle, as it's hard to interact when the anxiety is there, making being in crowds more stressful.

I didn't even know I had them before, I just was reclusive. I never would have guessed my father has them, as he's a very popular person. However, both he and I do extremely well with one on one interactions, and even do well with small groups. It's the crowds that suck.

However, it's something that doesn't really impact me heavily anymore. I am quieter in a large group than a small one, but I work at being outgoing.

The only reason that I asked about the anxiety thing is that alot of people who have similar difficulties cope with it by shutting themselves away.

And I don't think it has much to do with social skills per se. Some charismatics suffer anxiety attacks from being around people. It's mostly a comfort thing.

Well, maybe you're just gay.
    I would use a blue eyed, blond haired Chechnyan to ruin you- Drake on weapons

Why do you ask? Is your father gay?

Seriously, I'll have to think about that some before I decide if that's the issue. And how is "anxiety attacks" in social situations different than simple shyness?
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

Oh, the resentment/envy thing.

Well, I'm not a licensed psychiatric professional, but that's never stopped me from opening and office and calling myself one before.

Actually, that resentment can come from a lot of things other than social anxiety, too. One of my best friends deals with a very acute version of that. Sometimes it can color his perspective in a very negative way, but he has worked very hard to be more positive.

The only advice I can give is don't get sloppy drunk, and, better yet, don't get drunk at all. I can say with 100 per cent assurance that that will not help. And don't be afraid to talk to close friends about it(which you apparently aren't afraid to). That seems to be what my friend does.

Oh yeah, and don't get into negative relationships and think they're better than nothing. Those aren't the only options.

Also, don't inject cocaine directly into your John Thomas. It will get infected and fall off from it, you take my word on that.
    Last edited by KC Elbows; 10-04-2002 at 08:42 AM.

Social Anxiety vs. Shyness

I think it's mostly a profound version of shyness, but I'm not an expert on it. As I think of myself as shy at times, and I do get social anxiety, I'm not sure I could differentiate the two.

I'll get you my dad's number. Just don't tell mom, she doesn't know.

"I read the last chapter of books first, so that if I die before I finish them, I'll know how they end. That, my friend, is a dark side."
    -Billy Crystal, in "When Harry Met Sally

I sure am glad this movie is a comedy. If someone meant that seriously, I'd have to kill them.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

"Also, don't inject cocaine directly into your John Thomas. It will get infected and fall off from it, you take my word on that."

Reply]
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Volunteering is a great idea... you can come to feel grounded and valuable, and of course there's the in-your-face evidence that things could be worse for you too. Might even be better experience and training than you could get in paid work.
    It's just gossip really, everyone's dead... -Jon

CSN-

Have you tried any of Anthony Robbin's material (seriously)? You should be able to get some of his audio tapes free at the library- I'd recommend Awaken the Giant Within. Sometimes radical action can be a good thing for getting out of a rut, kind of like popping the cork off a champagne bottle.

I feel you- best of luck.

Talking

I find that just being a thorn in the cellulite rumpled backside of humanity is enough motivation for me to get out of the dulldrums.
    " Better to be a warrior in the garden than a gardner at war."
    "Ni hao darlins!" - wujidude
    "I just believe that qi is real and good body mechanics have been masquerading as internal power for too long." - omarthefish

CSN - consider the following. You don't have to believe in it, just see it as one point of view that may provide illumination -

You have free will. In fact, you have total responsibility for the decisions that you make. This is very difficult to accept.

You think, "I'm not going out today, because I am a depressed person." In fact, you have no absolute essence as a depressed person. To the contrary, your not going out today, defines you as a depressed person. Don't get it backwards - we are constantly defining ourselves with our thoughts and actions. The label that we then put on ourselves, does not cause our thought and actions. This is simply a device that people use to deny their own free will. Because acceptance of this freedom leads to anguish - anguish before all the possibilities that truly exist for us as humans. Anguish because of absolute responsibility.

Decide to be who you want to be. You can choose to be happy, or simply not sad if that suits you better.
    Poof! Your depression should be gone now. That will be 50 bucks.