Thread: is this guy serious or what?

is this guy serious or what?

Is this a real hsing i form? because if it is I am dissapointed

http://www.dragonslist.com/kwoon/index.php?id=54

Just out of curiosity, what is it you don't like? The pace? The movements? Or the intensity/skill of the practitioner?

Yep Monkey set from Xingyiquan, Good for ripping apart systems that try and dominate your center line ie: Wing Chun and other Hsingyiquan, providing you actualy have trained for fighting with it and not some tai chi hippie method.
    Earth, Air, Water, Fire, in the circle we conspire.

The fellow in the video seemed to perform that form without any power or intent. Perhaps this was intentional. I don't know. I can't comment on anything else about it because I don't practice xing yi.

hmm

I dont know that form, but it looked like when he went into san ti (if thats what he is doing) in the first part his right arm came down and locked, which is a big no no...

Gary
    www.flowingcombat.com

His movements are fluid. His power generation is incomplete and executed improperly. He is moving his hands before his waist, or his waist and then his hands, without a lot of consideration to synchronization. One key element you can see if the hsing-i is being done right is the hips and the shoulders, knees and the elbows, feet and the hands are working together.

Also, the knees are used as weapons and tend to drive forward in a linear fashion to disable the opponents legs.

His form is generally good and probably only needs minor adjustments.

The fact that he is already selling a tape on these methods however is quite questionable.

From what I could tell, he was using his center and powering movements internally...at times. Although there was also a lot of local muscle - arms, etc.

His power was not continuous, it broke often. When it broke it was usually all arms - disconnected with the center.

I would have to agree that the synchronization looked off and intention was absent or misformed.

I've seen internal martial arts performed worse.
    ~ Eric Putkonen
    (Teaching Tai Chi Chuan in Plymouth, Minnesota)

I just saw a glance of the video. I agree with Gary, his elbows seem locked up in the San Ti posture, which is not a good thing. And his knees seem to point outwards in the transition, when they should point inwards.

The Monkey form is performed in a lively, fast motion (actually, I think it has one of the fastest and craziest intents in the Xingyi forms). But he may be doing it in a slower motion, for instructional purposes. I'd have to see it in detail, to give a better opinion.
    "I'm into murders and executions, mostly"

thats what I mean his power didnt seem like it was there, and the form looked very repetetive.
    Not only that a monkey form is suppossed to be more "crazy" and confusing than that
    all it was was jump forward do this move and jump back do this move, jump forward do same move, jump back do same other move....
    Last edited by grifter721; 10-08-2002 at 01:58 PM.

The standard Hebei variation of the Monkey form does exactly that: One set of movements, jumps forward, turns, does the same movements, jumps back, turns, repeat, etc.

His problem is not in the movements, but in his alignment and general power generation line.
    "I'm into murders and executions, mostly"

yeah and maybe his is simply showing it in a way so people can at least see the movements and copy them he probably would refine them from there. Obiviously you guys got a very clear picture about what he was doing.
    Earth, Air, Water, Fire, in the circle we conspire.

player

I have the windows player from the free download.
    How do I get this video to play?