Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: umbrella as a weapon?

olkat314 Guest

Umbrella form

Dear All:

Where could I get instruction on this? Does anybody produce tapes that instruct this form?

Is it an advanced form?

Thanks

Tak

Je Lei Sifu Guest
    Hey Tak

Under my sifu, I have learned the umbrella form.

At this point, I have not heard of anyone making a video of the umbrella form. However my Sigung, has written a book on this subject. The book is called Hung Ga Pugilism Self Defence supplement w/Umbrella of Dragon And Tiger.

You should be able to purchase this book in any chinatown and maybe in some martial arts supply stores.

This set is not at all an advanced set, but it is a very interesting form.

I hope that I have answered your question

Thanx.

Je Lei

hasayfu Guest
    Hi Jei Lei,

Is this book written in chinese or English? By Si-gung, I assume you mean Ho Lap Tin.

Please confirm. Thanks,

Stephen.

Kymus Guest
    I am greatly interestd in learning the umbrella. Are there any other styles that teach this besides maybe something indonesian? I also am interested in the fan. I got one book by Master Lee Koon Hung on the CLF Dragon Fan.

Kymus

------------------
    "Crosstraining is the key"
    ~Sifu Rick Tucci~

Je Lei Sifu Guest
    Hey Hasayfu:

Sorry for the late reply, I have not been able to get online.

But to answer your question, my sigung (Ho Lap Tin) book on umbrella, is written in english.

Je Lei Sifu

MaFuYee Guest

[This message has been edited by MaFuYee (edited 06-23-2000).]

Je Lei Sifu Guest
    MaFuYee

No your thoughts of my sigung doesn't offend me at all.

However, I would like to let you know that my sigung was a very well known hung gar master in Hong Kong. So your statement doesn't offend, but it shows lack of knowledge on your part.

I hope that you get to became the age in which my sigung was during the making of his book. Then those of us who are still around might be able to see how well you perform at that age.

I would like to ask you, what is your martail arts background and your lineage? Also what age are you and what knowledge and authority do you have within the Mo Lum?

Je Lei Sifu

Question umbrella as a weapon?

Just looking for any knowledge on the umbrella as a weapon.
    Worst things have happend at sea.

An umbrella (the kind with a cane handle) could be used pretty much the same way a 'damo' cane is used.
    "I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udun! Go back to the shadow, you cannot pass!"

Umbrella. Long stick with a handle and a pointy thing. Yep, could definately be a weapon. The best form to model its use after would be that of a short melee weapon, like a cane form.

I don't know of any documented use of it as a weapon, but I carry one in my hand to & from work and I would definitely use it if needed.
    There is a great streak of violence in every human being. If it is not channeled and understood, it will break out in war or in madness. ~Sam Peckinpah

haven't u watched scream with neve campbell? she killed her psychotic bf with an umbrella! the long pointy ones though, not the compact brellas... lol. i think it was scream...

12. Thumbs up

As an "improvised weapon" I think you should be looking at it with attention paid to itīs shape.
    Basically youīd use for thrusting/striking motion I think,some throwing could be done too.
    I donīt think it is used much in martial arts or self-defense but itīs taught in some jujutsu style(s) I believe.
    If you do have an acces to Mas Oyamaīs book "Essentials of Karate" or something like that,it has some applications if I remember correctly.
    The sunsetīs setting down.Lay me on the forest floor.

I do not necessarily stand behind all of the statements I have made in the past, in this forum. Some of the statements may have appeared to support a biased view of reality, and may have been offensive. If you are a moral person and were hurt by comments that I made, you can PM me about it and I will apologize if I find your cause reasonable.
    -FC, summer of 2006-

hey it could be used as a shield if u open it.

14. Thumbs up

Lotīs of replies in a short time,huh...
    Well to stir the pot a little more,I donīt remember such application from Scream flicks but just watch "Batman returns",Danny Devito is pretty good with that.

Anything that can be used as an equalizer...
    The sunsetīs setting down.Lay me on the forest floor.

I do not necessarily stand behind all of the statements I have made in the past, in this forum. Some of the statements may have appeared to support a biased view of reality, and may have been offensive. If you are a moral person and were hurt by comments that I made, you can PM me about it and I will apologize if I find your cause reasonable.
    -FC, summer of 2006-

Didn't Jet Li carry one around as Wong Fei Hung in "Once Upon A Time in China"? I seem to remember him taking out a few bad guys with a cane or an umbrella.
    There is a great streak of violence in every human being. If it is not channeled and understood, it will break out in war or in madness. ~Sam Peckinpah