Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: umbrella as a weapon?

the wong fei hung as child used one in 'iron monkey' too.
    "heres to you as good as you are
    heres to me as bad as I am.
    But as good as you are,and as
    bad as I am,I'm as good as you are,
    as bad as I am"
    --
    "It's too bad my friend Chad's brother wasn't there, because he totally knows t'ai chi and sh*t."

"hey it could be used as a shield if u open it."

In one of the Once Upon a Time in China movies Jet Li opens it up to shield himself from hot water that was thrown at him. I think the kid does it in Iron Monkey as well.

In Wong Fei Hung 2, Jet Li used an umbrella to knock down about 50 guys. Then the umbrella broke.

Just find an umbrella with a sword hidden in the handle.

Originally posted by cho
    Just find an umbrella with a sword hidden in the handle.
    just be wary of arguments saying "my umbrella was made 320 years ago by a great master who folded its spindly frame 400 times before quenching it."
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA

Yeah, Wong Fei Hung's 'signature weapon' in many movies is his umbrella. Jet Li kicked butt with it in the OUATIC movies.

It's size and shape would make it equivalent roughly to a 'damo' cane, or a short stick in some cases.
    "I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udun! Go back to the shadow, you cannot pass!"

The cane forms would probably suit best.

But why not apply a sword form to the umbrella? Imagine that the umbrella is a dao or a jian.
    "Extra inch, extra power." -Tarm Sarm

The Penguin uses an umbrella as a weapon and seems to have good luck with it.
    K. Mark Hoover

Ryoga Hibiki from the Ranma 1/2 Anything Goes Martial Arts anime series. He uses an umbrella as a weapon. Then again... he also turns into a pig when splashed with cold water.

Drake~
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Heeeeeeeeeyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!

Someone has stolen my name!!!!!!! Give it back!!!!!!!!

Drake
    Best regards,
    R. Drake Sansone
    (rdrakesansone@wowway.com)
    http://www.liuhopafa.com/
    "Train, or go to hell."Terry W.

And then I shall have no name... I will forever be called... the nameless...

Wow... that was prolific...

Drake~
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

I carry a small one attached to my brief case, and at least one in each car. Since the small ones don't have the pointy bit at the end you have to turn them around and use the handle for short snapping strikes against boney parts. Open and thrust toward your attacker it's good as an opaque barrier that may buy you a second or two to counter or run. With the bigger ones you can do locks, traps and of course spearing moves.

The best part is you can still carry on on a plane.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

Originally posted by Sho
    The cane forms would probably suit best.

But why not apply a sword form to the umbrella? Imagine that the umbrella is a dao or a jian.
    While some moves might be appropriate for the umbrella, others would obviously have been designed to cut or slash (especially the dao). I don't think an umbrella would work well in that sort of scenerio.

However, a cane form is certainly the most appropriate. I can hardly wait to learn the one in our style

"But why not apply a sword form to the umbrella? Imagine that the umbrella is a dao or a jian."

Because it's an umbrella not a sword. One has a sharp point and sometimes a cutting edge, the other is cheap metal wrapped in cloth with a blunt jabbing edge. They share very few properties between them. It's still best to approach the strengths and weakness' of the brelly in it's own right.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

Umbrella --> Used as weapon by Penguin.

Penguin --> Burgess Meredith

Burgess Meredith --> trained Rocky Balboa

Conclusion: Secret combat umbrella forms are only known by high level Western Boxing masters.

is that why i saw dan duva practicing with a kitchen mop in his back yard?
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA