Thread: Coiling...a bagua question

Coiling...a bagua question

In a recent lesson, my teacher and I focused on coiling the body before issuing a strike. We were using the context of a single change, kobu-ing in and drawing the arms across one another before stepping out and striking towards the center of the circle (pretty routine stuff).

My question is, should the muscles be tightly drawn while "coiling" up? If so, should the coiling be confined to the abdominal region? I ask because it seems detrimental to have the chest muscles tightly drawn, as it restricts bloodflow (and presumably chi-flow) and possibly reduces the power of the strike.

Hopefully I'm wording this in a way that'll make sense. I'm having difficulty understanding how to properly coil my body in an art that stresses softness and relaxed muscles. Any input is appreciated.

I was taught, and continue to practice relaxed tautness in bagua. When you stand and fully extend your arm, you feel a spot where it almost buzzes at the end of the fingertips. The body is relaxed, but the soft tissue if fully extended. This feeling of tautness is maintained throughout the movements. While in the beginning, one needs to fully extend the limb to achieve this quality, as you become more adept at internal workings you can carry this feeling of tautness without showing it outwardly.

Others will probably have a different answer to your question, but this is mine, FWIW.

Also, when coming back towards the center of the circle during the palm change, focus on maintaining your structure (think peng) with the outside hand, leading with this hand, not the one closest to the center of the circle.
    The more one sweats in times of peace, the less one bleeds in times of war.

WJ, thank you much. I think I was concentrating too much on contracting my pectorals, rather than stretching into the posture with my arms. Funny how a simple choice of words can completely change a concept.

I'll have to try your theory of "leading" with the near hand while turning back into the circle. My teacher has never suggested that.

I don't want to interfere, I study gau stayle, cheng ting hua lineage, so your teacher may not agree.
    The theory is that by concentrating on your outer hand, you maintain your basic structure.

Of course. I don't mean to say that's the mindset I'll adopt henceforth, but it never hurts to try new ideas to see if I personally can benefit from them. Besides, my style is also decended from Cheng, so it can't be too far off the mark

Thanks again

Great description, Walter... I know exactly what you mean but I would have struggled to communicate it so succinctly Your feeling of an energetic "relaxed tension" is the epitome of "internal" to me.

Its interesting how your experience often maps across to my own, in spite of our different transmissions.
    It's just gossip really, everyone's dead... -Jon

Thanks dedalus, but props to Buddy Tripp, my first internal teacher, the description is his and it works. As for similar transmissions, sooner or later all roads lead to Rome, as they say.

Imagine yourself issuing or taking a hit.

Hold your muscles to the extent you think you'll need.

Better yet, TAKE or GIVE a hit.

That way, you'll REALLY see what muscles you need.