Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help with 7* PM Basic Forms

Question Help with 7* PM Basic Forms

Greetings,
    I am wondering if anyone knows a website that explains or illustrates some basic 7* PM forms (i.e. 16 hands, etc). When I practice at home, I'd like to make sure I'm not missing any of the moves, or to jog my memory if I get stuck during a form.

Thanks,
    Mike

try to get some pictures from your sifu.
    My best advice to you though is not to rely on them but to write your froms down yourself, and practice them everyday.

"My best advice to you though is not to rely on them but to write your froms down yourself, and practice them everyday."

Good advice. In my school we're actually required to do notes. We have to draw diagrams of everything we know and write as much as we can about them. I find that it helps because it forces you to pay attention to small details that you might not always be aware of.

names

Traditionally speaking every step and hand motion has a name. It is required by the student to memorize these.

In some cases the names are poetic such as...
    twin dragons emerge from the sea.

Some schools use short names that only mention the key aspect such as ...
    shoulder(elbow)

Some follow a specific order such as the step, block and strike such as...
    hill climbing stance sealing hand sieze the throat.
    It becomes awkward to say so much in English while in Chinese it comes out as...
    Deng shan feng sho suo ho. Almost half as short.

But for the most part schools have a combination of the three methods and use a certain one based on habit depending on the technique.

Xue Tanglang,
    HK 7* schools use the third method most often.
    So if you follow that tradition you would want to learn about 20-30 Chinese terms and their meaning.

But you mentioned the form 16 Hands which is a basic form unique to the Wah Lum system of PM.

They use different names for some of the same techniques and stances.

In many of the WL schools there are basic exercises that go through most of the punches and stances.
    As the students go through them the Sifu and class shout out the names in Cantonese.
    This will be a big help for writing it down later.

Drawing pictures is also good.
    When I first came to Taiwan I drew all the applications.

which sifu do you train with? I am not aware of any 7 star sifu's in the LA area.

Thanks to all who replied

I appreciate the help and am glad this forum is here.
    Thanks to everyone!
    Mike

16 hands

Tainan Mantis

My sifu borrowed 16 hands from the Wah Lum people as a basic form for 7* as well. Of course, it has been modified to be more
    7*ish.

I did not know, though, that other 7* clans also have this modified form.

Something new every day.

14 roads

Mantis9,
    Thanks for that info.
    16 Hands is a good starter form.
    7*'s basic forms(duo gang, beng bu etc) aren't easy to teach beginners.

This explains Luo Guangyu's Tantuei 14 roads.
    Supposedly he made them up in one evening after finding a new group of students having trouble with the difficult moves of the form he was teaching.

Mantis108 has a theory that 14 roads are based on Luo Guangyu's favorite PM form.

It seems that not many 7* schools teach them anymore.
    Anybody here go to a 7* school that teaches 14 roads?

LGW's Fourteen Roads

I go to a school that still teaches the Fourteen Roads. However, we teach it much later in the curriculum than many might expect. My teacher has noticed in his twenty plus years of teaching that many beginners to the Mantis style (not only beginners to the martial arts), experience great difficulty in mastering techniques such as the Seven Star stance, the Mantis hook and maintaining their balance after executing the various kicks. As such, many beginners find it extremely difficult to grasp Master Law's Fourteen Roads. Master Law's Fourteen Roads is very practical and immediately applicable but it isn't easy for a complete beginner to the style to pick up. Rather than discourage them, we teach them other drills and even teach them forms such as Bung Bo, Sup Baht Sao, Tchaap Tchoi and Daw Ghong before we come back around to teach them Fourteen Roads as taught by Master Law.
    A "Laughing Buddha" or "Dai Tao Fut" is usually found cavorting in front of and leading the lion(s) in a Southern Lion Dance troupe.

I speak for myself and not for my Si Fu nor kwoon, so any errors I make are mine alone.

At our school we do the fourteen roads. Its nice to now that Im at a school that still teaches traditional stuff.

Re: LGW's Fourteen Roads

Originally posted by Laughing Buddha
    I go to a school that still teaches the Fourteen Roads. However, we teach it much later in the curriculum than many might expect. My teacher has noticed in his twenty plus years of teaching that many beginners to the Mantis style (not only beginners to the martial arts), experience great difficulty in mastering techniques such as the Seven Star stance, the Mantis hook and maintaining their balance after executing the various kicks. As such, many beginners find it extremely difficult to grasp Master Law's Fourteen Roads. Master Law's Fourteen Roads is very practical and immediately applicable but it isn't easy for a complete beginner to the style to pick up. Rather than discourage them, we teach them other drills and even teach them forms such as Bung Bo, Sup Baht Sao, Tchaap Tchoi and Daw Ghong before we come back around to teach them Fourteen Roads as taught by Master Law.
    Wow... Bung Bo, Daw Gong and Tsaap Tchoi before Sup Sei Lo (14 Roads)?? That seems odd to me. The techniques in those forms are much more advanced than the "basics" in Sup Sei Lo.

You mention difficulty with the mantis hook, etc... Bung Bo, Daw Gong, etc all have more mantis hook than Sup Sei Lo... at least in our branch... SSL #2 and #6 are the only ones with mantis hooks in them...

In our school we go with something called "Horse Stance Sequence" first, then the person progresses to Sup Sei Lo. After that, we go to Daw Gong, then Bung Bo, then Tsaap Tchoi, then Bhaat Sao (8 Elbows, then Tang Lang Tao Tow.

Not sure what comes after that, but as we are a part of the LGY lineage (Lo Guang Yuk, Kwok Cho Chui, Kwing Fai Kung, Mike Purnell), we definitely do 14 roads

Interestingly enough, we practice LGY roads and Chun Chun Yee's roads too. CCY practiced his sifu's roads, but decided to add his own. To me, some roads seem like a varation on LGY's, others a simplification, and still others completely new creations.

I suspect the two sets of roads reflect a difference in CCY and his Sifu's personalities. LGY seem techniqually precise, economically. CCY seem springy, with pop. Maybe I would says one is more mature and the other more youthful. A good blend.

Mantis9

Smile 14 Road Revisited

Most of you will aware that I am not a 7 Stars stylist. My interest in 7 Stars is still pretty high as I believe it has a lot to offer. One of the material that caught my eyes is the 14 Roads. It would seem that these are a collection of line drills that also translate into direct applications. Some of the roads are reminiscent of GM LGY's favorite form - Tanglang TaoTou (mantis steal peach). So in that regard, the 14 Roads may not be material for a complete novice. But for a student who has certain MA background these roads are good introduction to PM (specificly 7 Stars PM). Take Road 5 Black Tiger Steal Heart for example, which is composed of filing punch, a high cross, and a low jab, this road can either be a line drill, shadow drill, or one step application drill. Depending on what concept, principle, and technique of PM the Sifu wants to transmit, this drill basically has quite a few already (ie. Ba Da & Ba Bu Da, Tao/stealing & Pu/filling, when & where Chin Na or takedown come into play, etc...) Having said that I must also clarify that this is based on a similar drill (same 3 hands/punches but slightly different arrangement) that Tainan Mantis showed me. Anyway, my point is that Mantis stuff are generally more than meet the eyes.

Mantis108
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

I was told not to write forms down, memory of them would come in time (I didn't listen very well). I wrote what I could remember when I got home this also froced me to remember the form. Thinking of the form and moveing through the motions of the form are seperate.

I am mostly Wah Lum but do Peng Pu Chuan for spice.

Learning

Kind of silly to tell someone not to write them down! People learn diferently; some visual (seeing it), some manual (by doing it), some by reading, & some by writing it( seeing it on paper from their own minds). Its not like the forms are secret or anything, I say do what works best for you.
    Best Wishes,
    ~BTL
    How many identities does a Troll need?
    Didn't think I knew did you??
    I know a lot of things.
    You won't like me in person either.
    Confused?? Don't be.
    LOL!