Thread: Pounding the body after qigong

Pounding the body after qigong

After doing ceratin types of qigong, some people lightly pound their body all over with their fists. What is the purpose of this? Is it to "pack" the qi? To develop a form of iron body? I'll leave the floor open.

IronFist
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

In most instances, this is simply a form of Self-massage or Self Tui Na.

The idea is to dissipate any stagnant Qi and further relax the body.

It should actually include more than simply knocking. Typical methods include rubbing, clapping, running the fingers through the hair and massaging the scalp, and so on.

I know they do it after Green Dragon's Iron Vest. I'll have to watch the tape again and see why.

I used to do it too, but I think I just picked it up from Iron Vest and added it to the end of my qigong. Oh wait I remember why I did it. I would lightly tap myself while keeping everything relaxed after standing qigong, which is how I ended my iron body training (damn I used to be hardcore ) because I thought it would help slowly aclimate the body to absorb blows while relaxed or not prepared for a strike (ie. if you get sucker punched). I guess it made a little difference over the period of months. At least it took the initial edge off, ie., after doing it for a few months it didn't hurt as much as in the beginning... not that i was doing it hard enough to hurt in the first place...

no more run-on sentences from me!

IronFist
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

The idea is to dissipate any stagnant Qi and further relax the body.

Yeah right!!

In our Nei Gung we first warm our hands then rub our abdomen in a anti clock wise direction....followed by light beating ...followed again by anti clock wise beating.

This has no conditioning effect from what i can see but is meant to help digestion.
    LOL.. really, what else did you hear?.. did you hear that he was voted Man of the Year by Kung-Fu Magizine?

Liokault

Ideally that practise is traditionally recognised as to stimulate the Dan Tien. It has some effct upon digestion but that isn't its primary function.

By the way slapping/pounding is used to stimulate Qi movement and resolve stagnation.
    " Don't confuse yourself with someone who has something to say " - The Fall

" I do not like your tone/ It has ephemeral whingeing aspects " - The Fall

" There are twelve people in the world/ The rest are paste " - Mark E Smith

Yes Yes clearly stagnant Chi!!!!

i used to get angry when i come to the tai chi forum but now.....i just feel tired......and kind of embarrassed.
    LOL.. really, what else did you hear?.. did you hear that he was voted Man of the Year by Kung-Fu Magizine?

Sometimes, you might strike your own body for Iron Shirt qigong. That would be a hard strike. Other times, the touch is much lighter, like a massage. Sometimes there are movements where you might clap your hands violently, or strike your own forearms, or stroke your arms in the direction of qi flow. Some reasons behind that might be to stimulate qi flow, or I have seen in some books where they say it is to "pack" qi into the dantien or bones, etc. For every different level of force for the touch, there are probably numerous reasons for doing it.

Hmmm

I used to get amused when I came onto the Taiji forum......and I still do.
    " Don't confuse yourself with someone who has something to say " - The Fall

" I do not like your tone/ It has ephemeral whingeing aspects " - The Fall

" There are twelve people in the world/ The rest are paste " - Mark E Smith