Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stepping Question

Yeah, I'd be down for a seminar up there any time. I've never met Cartmell, but a friend of mine studied with him for a time and loved every minute of it. He sounds like a practical guy, so I'd bet any seminar he hosts will have lots of good info. I could just about ride a bike to his studio too, so that helps.

And of course I'd love to get my lazy self up to your class soon as well.

kind of a side question....

do any of you guys, with in ba gua, when stepping "through" the opponent roll the opponents back ankle with the heel to toe stepping? I'm just curious.

ba gua is suposed to develop over time with time, right? What axulliary stuff have you or your teachers added or changed....

thanx

I was waiting for ypu to join the discussion count, hoping you'd offer a nugget or two of wisdom. I agree, Yin styles have throws, and the teacher you have will be the biggest outside influence on how your fighting style develops. Thanks for joining the discussion.
    The more one sweats in times of peace, the less one bleeds in times of war.

I practice a style of Taiji with very Bagua-like stepping methods, including the kou and bai bu methods, in addition to Yang style Taiji and Chiang Jung-chiao's Bagua. In real fights I tend to use more "Bagua" footwork and change stepping than anything, though I have never been able to determine whether I step heel and toe or entire sole at once. I do know that there are several movements in my Taiji form where I prefer to step with the entire heel rather than the more conventional heel toe stepping. I wouldn't limit myself to one or the other, though. I think they both have their place. What's right for the situation is right for the situation, whether or not it's correct within a specific style.