Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Quitting martial arts.

Quitting martial arts.

OK, As of tonight I can't think of a reason to stay with the martial arts in a formal way. In other words paying for training.

1. Self defense: After several years of martial arts I know enough to handle myself in the street against most.

2. Health and fitness: I get a better workout by hitting the gym and doing my usual routine.

3. Comptition: I don't have the time to dedicate to compete in the ring.

4. Fun: It stopped being fun about two weeks ago. Suddenly sparring is more of a chore than the joy it used to be.

5. Sense of accomplishment: Learning another form and a handful of techniques for a belt just seems silly to me at the moment.

I think I'm going to take a break from class and just do what I want, when I want and visit some other schools. I guess I've hit burn out.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

Take it easy, bud. Nothing wrong with taking a break. Enjoy it. When and if your ready to get back into it, get back into it.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

hmmm

"5. Sense of accomplishment: Learning another form and a handful of techniques for a belt just seems silly to me at the moment"

What art are you quitting? I would say it must lack depth (or you fail to see it) if you cannot keep improving and learning something other than forms and a bigger catalog of techniques. In the internal arts just when I think Ive got something really well, I discover another thing about it, and see/feel another level I could not see/feel before.
    I suppose when all else fails, change arts! Learning something new may give you that sense of accomplishment, and could help you past your place of stagnation in your current art.

I liken it to learning an instrument. There was a time when I was playing the drum set in competition jazz bands, when I didnt think my drumming skills could get any better. For a year I practiced dilligently with not much improvement. But finnaly It surged and I got much better.

good luck,

Gary
    www.flowingcombat.com

Keep your skills sharp on your own and use the time to be exposed to other styles. I hope you don't quit this forum.

MIA= Watchman, SLC, Jasbourne,..........

Don't add your name to the list!
    Monkey vs. Robot

WHat don't tell me old lineage arguments have bored you ot. There's a new wong chun ever three months
    killer kung fu commando streetfighter who has used his devastating fighting system to defeat hordes of attackers in countless combat situations

Re: Quitting martial arts.

Originally posted by rogue
    I think I'm going to take a break from class and just do what I want, when I want and visit some other schools. I guess I've hit burn out.
    Sure, take a break. But, don't quit.
    Get your fire back and then find something that is new and challenging.

Peace.
    Adam Stanecki - Practitioner of common sense.

"Think for yourself. Question authority." - Timothy Leary

Fluid Fitness - www.fluidfitness.com.au
    Dominance Mixed Martial Arts - www.dominance.com.au

It's not the art I'm doing it's just me. I just looked at the people in class and wondered why I wasn't home with my kids. I went down the list I posted above on the reasons to formally study the art and came up with no good reason to do so. I could keep going through the motions and treat what I'm doing as if it's somekind of performance art but that'd be worse than taking a break. The weird thing is how fast this happened.

"What art are you quitting? I would say it must lack depth (or you fail to see it) if you cannot keep improving and learning something other than forms and a bigger catalog of techniques."

It's not that Gary, it's more about doing something else with my time than something that in the grand scheme of things is pretty trivial. I'm still going to learn and practice forms and techniques but it just won't be in class. There are parts of the art I want to explore that just don't get addressed in the general class. Maybe some private lessons may do the trick.

Stranger I'll still be around, I mean who can ever get enough of the arguments over lineage and where to put the weight on ones foot over at the WC forum?
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

Rogue.

I fully understand where you are coming from.
    Many people feel this way.

I often see it after people reach the BB level, once they got it they realise that they been spending too much time on getting it that Family work, etc suffered.

Rather than adjusting their schedule they often make 180 degree turn.

All the best for the future.

Cheers.

Stacey Guest
    inconcievable

I couldn't do it....no way. More than a month and I start to lose balance. How can you stop? Doesn't make sense to me.

Rogue,
    I understand where you're coming from actually. Now that you have the experience, training on your own might open a lot of interesting doors. You never know where you'll end up.

Betcha go back to JKD! LOL

Don't be a stranger here...

Ryu
    "No judo! NO NO!"

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

Attain your highest ability, and continue past it. Emotion becomes movement. Express that which makes you; which guides you. Movement and Mind without hesitation. Physical spirituality...
    This is Jeet Kune Do....

Arrow

So, Rogue. Basically, if I'm understanding Correctly, where You are coming from!...your saying in the grand scheme of things TKD is as trivial as tabletennis?.

Man, I'm Glad I do KF!!!

u know Rogue Once a Martial Artists always a Martial Artist...
    yup go ahead take a break...Man...
    i m on break from TKD cause i wasn't getting enuff sleep time
    but still practicing ...
    -TkdWarrior-
    Knowledge, Like sex is better when it's free

I agree with Ryu. Training on your own can be extremely beneficial if you are dilligent with it. good luck. stay on the forum and keep us updated.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

So, Rogue. Basically, if I'm understanding Correctly, where You are coming from!...your saying in the grand scheme of things TKD is as trivial as tabletennis?.

Man, I'm Glad I do KF!!!
    Actually, yes, in the grand scheme of things, MA's, regardless of what you do, are pretty trivial in this day and age. Nice to see that somebody gave the good ol' college try at the CMA condecending arrogance thing though. GOOOOOOOOOO TEAM!

Are you enjoying it and having a good time? If not, nothing wrong with a break.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

Everybody has to stop sometimes. You are at one of these crossroads. Just enjoy life and the moment.
    But don't leave the forum!....