Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A (modern) drummer has a skill useful in Kung Fu

fajing

I am soooooo glad I don't know enough about Rush to tell them apart...**** Canucks all look alike anyway.

The rest of your post is a point well taken.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

war drums

I'm not a drummer, but I totally agree, especially after seeing Kodo/Ondekosa many times. I even did an interview with Grateful Dead drummer Mickey Hart on the martial connection - he was a judo champ, a military drummer and heads a smithsonian music archival group - http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/maga...hp?article=115
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

so, while being a drummer gives you inna riddim, does being a drummer make you a better boxer?

peace
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Greatest Drummers for aggression control

(1) Jayson Sherlock (Mortification). Trying to play his drum lines takes an insane level of aggression. If I could get that mindset sparring I'd kill people!

(2) Igor Cavalerra (Sepultura). Tends to revert you to a tribal state or 'reptile brain'.

(3) Lars Ulrich (Metallica). Even though Lars is a ****, the little fella can sure play drums

And as for all the rock/swing/jazz/whatever drummers...I fall asleep listening to most of them. Metal is superior!!!

I wonder if Brasillian metal (a'la Sepultura) is superior too? I know I've seen photos of one of the guys in Sepultura wearing a "Brasillian Jiu Jitsu" shirt. Must ask Ralek...
    In combat you sink to the level of your training. You do not rise to the occasion

don't underestimate the jazz guys...

not drummers, but

Charles Mingus threw Jimmy Knepper (a close friend and longtime member of his band) down a flight of stairs for not playing a trombone part the way he wanted. He also can be seen in a documentary shooting at the walls of his own house. From the inside.

Miles Davis lost his voice because he blew his stack and shouted at Orrin Keepnews (I think it was) at the top of his lungs for eight hours. Miles was also an avid boxing fan and it was his main hobby for years.

My guess is the drummers were a little more level headed because they blew off steam by hitting things for a living.

Metal is not superior, once you've learned to listen to the music instead of the volume. I think you'd like Last Exit and Borbetomagus, though.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

Bruford, i knew his son, he came to london and down to my m8s workplace..... GAVE US A PAIR OF USED STICK !!!!!!! WOW
    Visit the Site -
    www.buddha-fist.com

rumors

Mick Fleetwood was a big fencer - so was Bruce ****enson from Iron Maiden. I got to arm Bruce several years ago. Whenver Iron Maiden plays the bay area, they would stop by my old workshop www.amfence.com. Like many drummer, Bruce was ambidexterous, which isn't really that much of an advantage in fencing since it's one-handed, but is certainly beneifcial in combat

In fencing, we reduce all combat down to 3 factors: timing distance and velocity. Drummers have great timing. And many drummers, like Mick and Bruce, are pretty tall. That reach allows them to have a bigger trap set. Also I imagine that velocity play a factor in how deep you strike into the drum to get different sounds.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

8. Thumbs up

Yeah,Bruce was a good fencer as I far as I remember.
    He could actually have made it to olympic team of England but as he had to pick Maiden or fencing,he chose the band.

But Bruce is not a drummer as your post may let one understand,Gene (of course you know that,just to clear up)
    The sunsetīs setting down.Lay me on the forest floor.

I do not necessarily stand behind all of the statements I have made in the past, in this forum. Some of the statements may have appeared to support a biased view of reality, and may have been offensive. If you are a moral person and were hurt by comments that I made, you can PM me about it and I will apologize if I find your cause reasonable.
    -FC, summer of 2006-

"Junior and the drummer were fighting, about a girl in the neighborhood. The drummer never played a bad lick in his life and Junior never played any good." Leon Russel
    " Better to be a warrior in the garden than a gardner at war."
    "Ni hao darlins!" - wujidude
    "I just believe that qi is real and good body mechanics have been masquerading as internal power for too long." - omarthefish

The physical aspect of music coordination is only part of the picture.

There's an entire training mentality that goes with it that fosters good kung fu under the right circumstances.

Also, those who are innately wired toward controlling their bodies to do what they wish tend to excel at kung fu.

I dont know if this have been mentioned as im having trouble reading the second page....but in some african towns drummers are feared fighters, often they are peacekeepers.
    Many of them are roumoured to have killed men with their incredibly conditioned hands.
    In the same line of thought, my a friend of my fathers father was a very skilled fighter, he used a hand formation allmost similair to a tigerclaw...exept that his technique came from the fact that in his line of work he digged all day and if he relaxed his big hands they would naturally curl into claws)

Smile drumming...

I'd say in all styles are very good drummers - but some music styles are better for showing your drummin skills - so jazz drummer have more chances to show their technic as an rock drummer - which doesnt mean the drummers are not good. So I've been on a workshop from the drummer from prince (Leila K ?) she's a small woman - but she playes very good - but in the prince songs you wont hear her skills - that also counts for some metal drummer - so i think lars ulrich is a bad example - cause he doensnt play very good live - listen to the live album with the orchester (do you spell it like this) - he playes very inprecise.

My band once played with Dave Lambardos Grip Inc as local Support - so we had the chance to watch the whole store from backstage. Hes a metal drummer - but his technical skills are very high.

So last but not least - what even more counts is - not the technical skill - that the drummer has to fit into the music and most times 'less is more', if you take the nickleback drummer - he doesnt play fancy drum fills or rythms but he creates the right pressure on which the sound of the band is focussed.

ciao and keep on rocking...

WTJune
    http://www.mp3.com/misbegotten

former casteleva

Oh right. My bad. Never mind.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips