Thread: Tim Tackett?

Tim Tackett?

Figured i'd ask here, some of you guys are JKD guys and such. There's a place here that does something called scientific fighting, aparently they'r just trying to do JKD but dont want to label it as such since they dont feel they could do it justice or some **** like that.

So they are bringing this Tim Tacket fella in for a seminar here, and are offering everyone to come and participate. They say he's a student of Dan Inosanto and said he'd be teaching "Original JKD" (whatever that means).

So i was wondering if you guys had heard of this guy before? Is he good? Does he have a rank in BJJ? (I'd love to have someone technical to roll with and maybe show a few new moves). It'll propably be expensive and i'm out of a job right now, but if he's really good i might check it out, so what's this guys story??
    Free thinkers are dangerous!

Tim Tackett has several books out on JKD and on Hsing-I. I've got one of his Hsing-I books. I dunno if he's trained bjj or not.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Yo

Hey Qeysus, he posts occasionally on the jkd forum, usually announcing seminars. You might want to leave a message there to see if he gets it. I've heard good things about him, my old jkd instructor studied under him.
    "I'm here to wipe the floor with your ass, and you know it, and everybody here knows it, and you deserve it."-Duncan, "Some Kind of Wonderful"

"I used to be with it, then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems wierd and scary to me. It'll happen to you!!!" -Grandpa Simpson

"Once while walking through the mall a guy came up to me and
    said 'Hey, hows it going?'. So I grabbed his arm and twisted
    it up behind his head and said 'Now whose asking the questions?'" - Jack Handey

"There's no doubt in my mind that we should allow the world worst leaders to hold America hostage, to threaten our peace, to threaten our friends and allies with the world's worst weapons."George Bush—South Bend, Ind., Sept. 5, 2002

http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/foru...hlight=tackett That has his website address, too.
    "I'm here to wipe the floor with your ass, and you know it, and everybody here knows it, and you deserve it."-Duncan, "Some Kind of Wonderful"

"I used to be with it, then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems wierd and scary to me. It'll happen to you!!!" -Grandpa Simpson

"Once while walking through the mall a guy came up to me and
    said 'Hey, hows it going?'. So I grabbed his arm and twisted
    it up behind his head and said 'Now whose asking the questions?'" - Jack Handey

"There's no doubt in my mind that we should allow the world worst leaders to hold America hostage, to threaten our peace, to threaten our friends and allies with the world's worst weapons."George Bush—South Bend, Ind., Sept. 5, 2002

Definitely a "who's who" in the JKD scene. Tim's been around for a while, and has written lots of books, and produced vids about JKD. He did study under Dan, but is more involved with the "Original JKD" movements from what I've seen and heard. I have no idea if he has any rank in BJJ....... however not having rank doesn't mean you haven't been exposed to it, or actually studied it quite diligently. His ground game I have no idea about.

It's a good idea to give him a call or leave a message on a forum, etc.

Ryu
    "No judo! NO NO!"

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

Attain your highest ability, and continue past it. Emotion becomes movement. Express that which makes you; which guides you. Movement and Mind without hesitation. Physical spirituality...
    This is Jeet Kune Do....

If I recall from the bio section of his books, he is a shodan in judo, was certified by Dan to teach JF/JKD and FMA,
    and trained TCMA in Taiwan for several years (internal and external styles).

Just an assumption......
    He has likely been exposed to shooto through his work with Larry Hartsell.
    Last edited by Stranger; 10-09-2002 at 08:06 PM.
    Monkey vs. Robot

qeySuS,
    I am pretty sure you could tap Tim Tackett on the ground if you rolled with him. He's pretty old and from what I know of him a Jun Fan JKD guy. So his main focus is on what Bruce Lee taught originally to his students when he was alive. So I seriously doubt there will be any ground work other then a few rough techs for the ground or any Muay Thai. I think Tim Tackett would more likely focus on things you'll see in Bruce's book, the Tao of JKD. Four gates, foot work, non-telegraphic movenment and strikes, etc. Some boxing mixed with wing chun; jab, cross, hook seems to be a favorite with all the JKD instructors. Maybe some trapping and FMA since Tim was into that stuff while he was a student of Dan I.

I say go with an open mind, I am sure it will be worth the bucks if not exactly what you maybe expecting.-ED
    "jooo jeestu's lika sex bro, you godda put your heeps to eet."
    -Megaton

cool guys, thanks for the responses, i'll wait for the price to be announced and hopefully check it out
    Free thinkers are dangerous!

For more information on what Tim Tackett teaches, you may want to check out this website.

Hope this helps,

KG

Lloyd Kennedy is one of the instructors at his Wednesday night JKD group, and his expertise is in various grappling arts. Click on Lloyd Kennedy's bio on the site to see all of the grappling arts that he has been exposed to. Peace.
    Last edited by phantom; 10-10-2002 at 08:13 AM.