Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Tibetan Kung Fu Styles

Rolling Elbow Guest

you guys..

You guys describe White Crane like its Choy Lay fut! hehe.

Why do you bother with Ego Maximus.. his endless crusade to promote northern acrobatic (and ridiculously flashy) kungfu styles is both boring and repetitive.

All styles cover the same angles of attack and tactics. Hell, there is only soo many ways of doing things. Hook punches are hook punches..call em wings or call em fans- same thing.

Ego, you'd get destroyed by a ninja bloke!

Michael Panzerotti
    Taijutsu Nobody from the Great White North..

Ego_Extrodinaire Guest

White Crane & CLF

Rolling Elbow,

But white crane is like CLF! What do you mean "... destroyed by a ninja bloke?" I'm not an alien - the men in blank aren't after me!

Maximus Maximize!
    ego_maximus@hotmail.com

friday Guest

Pak Hok & CLF

Hi Rolling Elbow,

Pak Hok and CLF are categorised as cherng kuen, "long fist" for its extensive use of long range techniques. I believe there is also a lot of waist movement or twisting in both styles. Unfortunately, I think thats where the similarities end. Read this with caution however, I have studied a bit of CLF in the past but I am definitely no expert.
    I have seen a particular form of CLF which involves a lot of whipping, circular motion of the arm and this technique reminded me of one of the moves in Pak Hok Lau Sing Kuen (Shootings Stars form of the Chert Yup Bo, "In Out step". Even if some of the movements are similar doesn't mean the styles are the same. THe principles behind the styles, theories also vary.
    I would also like to ask a question of Ego,
    Hi Ego, from what you have told everyone I believe you may have had a disappointing experience with your Pak Hok teacher. Just as I am sure not everyone who has studied praying mantis, Pi qua, Ba gua, etc are happy with their teachers or the interpretation of the style, not everyone will be happy with Pak Hok or their particular teacher...for whatever reasons.
    To claim that CLF and Pak Hok are similar styles also indicates that you didn't learn very much of it in spite of the years you followed your US sifu. Have you had the opportunity to see Tin Gong Kuen? Siu Mg Ying, Dai Mg Ying? or weapon forms of Pak Hok? Even if you have, I seriously doubt you would understand the application of particulr techniques or their precise execution. I don't mean this as an insult. Teachers teach you in the way they do for their own reasons. They may not like you, or think you lack respect, or particular qualities necessary, or you aren't good enough, or they don't know alot so drag it out, secrecy etc. Which is the secrecy problem i mentioned before which you ....strangely made fun of.
    I think i have been lucky. kung fu is also about yuen fun. that is fate. there are many sifu out there who aren't that good, some who openly trick people into believing they are great. There are also good sifus who openly explain things and really try to help their students progress. I think my sifus belong to the latter and also belive I am lucky to be accepted by them as their student.
    I believe in Pak Hok Pai. I don't claim it to be the best MA in the world but if you think so poorly of Pak Hok Pai, I don't think you have been taught by my sifu.
    Anyway, I hope Tong Long Kuen, Pi Qua etc continue to bring you joy and fulfillment. :)

Barefoot Mantis Guest

Lion's Roar - Chan-Fat-Fu

Any of you guys know of Chan-Fat-Fu in HK? He is well known for his Choy-Lay-Fut but also claims knowledge in 'Lion's Roar'. He was a very cose friend of Harry Ng-Yim-Ming. In the early 1970's his student Lau-Char-Chu taught Lion's Roar in HK and was the self defence instructor to Stanley high Security prison staff - HK. Chans forms are very different to the usual ones, with different names. He is also a friend of GM KU-Chi-Wai of Atlanta. Seems taht he may have learned from Ng-Yim-Ming or at least 'exchanged' with him. Chan uses the Si-Ji-Hao name rather than Hop-Gar. Here in the UK it has been practiced and taught for about thirty years now.

diego Guest

do any of u know if wong yan lam and wong fei hung knew each other

i read a couple years ago in a article fei hung gave the tiger claw and yan lam gave the long fists......ANY IDEA

Ego_Extrodinaire Guest

Favourtism in pak Hok

Friday,

It is not in the interest of the sifu to show favourtism. His aim is to ensure that he maintains a good rep and students pay the fees. In any case, most people train in a class context - learning at any given level is quite uniform.

Maximus Maximize!
    ego_maximus@hotmail.com

Gum Gong Guest

favortisim

In the old days sifus would have ceartain students that "paid the bills" and students that were poor but trained for real.The ones that trained for real usually got the goods.The other ones were given just enough to keep them coming back.

We cling to our own point of view, as though everything depended on it. Yet
    our opinions have no permanence; like autumn and winter, they gradually pass
    away.

friday Guest

Sifu's need not to show favouritism

Hi Ego,

hmmm...I think for some sifu at least, the ones who teach fulltime and rely on kung fu to make a living will be more likely to not show favouritism etc. Just makes 'business' sense.
    I think a story might interest you tho'. One of my sifu teaches upon the basis of ability and dedication. He also taught me one-on-one. he also was very kind to offer me a place to stay if i needed it, dinner, lunch etc. He gave this to me without asking me to pay a cent. After being taught for the better part of three months, i offerred him a red envelope which he originally refused telling me to pay him next time as he knew i didn't hve permanent employment.
    I am very grateful for the guidance and teaching he has given and continues to give me. he also doesn't accept everyone as students. He explained to me that this is because he doesn't rely on teaching kung fu to make his income. he has another business. he teaches kung fu out of devotion and belief in the style and because of a promise he made. Anyway, simply said, he is incredible.

:)

Tsuruken Guest

Ego

You wrote: <<"Giving some of you the benefit of the doubt, perhaps there are certain white crane schools that teach useful kung fu. It might be helpful if you could let me know where they are? What parts of the world are they popular?">>

Try Australia! I'd welcome you at my school anytime. There's also a good school in Sikina, Aoyama, Naha-shi, Okinawa and another in Guandong Province, China.

Ron

Ron Goninan - Chairman
    Okinawa Butoryu Gohokan
    Australia

E-mail: tsuruken@austarnet.com.au
    Web Site: http://butoryu.freewebsites.com/

Ego_Extrodinaire Guest

skill of a sifu

Besides knowledge of kung fu, the ability to teach is a skill in it self. fortunately people go to kung fu classes these days because they want to. So the chance of getting an unwilling student is not that high.

Si Fu's probably should recognise that different students train with different objectives in mind. If the size of the class is large as are some community tae kwon do classes it becomes harder to provide personal attention as with a smaller class. But these days as much as sifus choose the right students, students have the opportunity of choosing a sifu.

Friday, it's geat that you're learing form a friend rather than on a purely commercial basis.

Maximus Maximize!
    ego_maximus@hotmail.com

Wink moo seut, moo yeh, and mo hak.

moo- seut(WuShu in mandarin) is, from my translation, Martial(moo) Skill(Seut) rather than Martial Arts. When skill is progressed to the motion that is so fluid that might look like even dancing, we call that 'ARTS'n cuz it is an ART!!!.
    However, there's what we call contemporary WuShu, what some ppl say as Martial Arts, it is definitely fun to watch. and i know serious WuShu players spend tremendous time training, and they have a great athletic ability. i really respect them for that. but my point here is that..... can we still call them a martial artist? cuz they-serious WuShu Competitor- spend more time on how to get better mark on competition rather than how to use that in the real fight or where the power comes from.
    that's when i think about the true meaning of MA, i have trained as a national WuShu Player for Asian Games, and i have reasonable(?) count of street fighting experience enough to know Fist is useful, but not good enough against FireArms....
    so i came into a conclusion that it is 'Moo HAK'!!!
    For me MartialArts is something that helps me being better as a human-being, so i can be more humble, more understanding and happier.....

i think it takes time and experience to come to this conclusion.
    And ur surroundings(environment) also matters a lot for y u train!!!

i hope u guys r all happy and get well!!!

GOOD LUCK!

Cool Hello Warrenoh

We chatted on emial last year, i live in north van, Most the members barr ego, have developed recently a Private Forum, would you be so kind to grace us with your presence, From what i remember your a solid martial artist, so i dont see any problem with excepting your membership into our Private"ego-screw u/HEHE" Discussion, on TIBETAN GUNG-FU.

Discussions

Warren

Once again its sad to see white crane do an ostrache. When ever they encounter a different point of view, its heads in the sand. Close the door and keep the secret when there's none to keep.

No one has yet convinced me as to why white crane is effective.

Arrow NO STYLE IS EFFECTIVE NOT ONE

TO A PARAPALEGIC.....

I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU'RE STILL AT IT AFTER REBUTTING EVERY POINT YOU MADE LAST TIME!!!!!

geez man, wtf is wrong with you? I think you have turned this stone over ONE TOO MANY TIMES. Enough is enough. Why don't you keep your opinions to yourself? Please. Actually, no please, just shut the f u c k up already. I think everyone is so d a m n tired of your crap.
    Zvika