Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Monkey Kung Fu Question (Tai Shing Pekwar)

Monkey Kung Fu Question (Tai Shing Pekwar)

What are your thoughts on this artical??

Our style is paired with the Six Step Monkey boxing(I don't know any yet), which is much older than Tai Shing Pekwar (650 AD????), but i'm curious about this artical anyway.

Any Tai Shing Pekwar guys care to comment??

http://www.wle.com/magazine/monkeyKungFu.html
    Last edited by Royal Dragon; 10-12-2002 at 03:30 AM.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Monkey style

Chi Jiguang's Ming Dynasty book mentions...
    "...There are Six Step Fist, Monkey Fist and Hua Fist..."

No mention of Six Step Monkey Boxing.
    This Ming Dynasty grammar often leaves out the comma which might make two style names look like one style.

18 Family Method which appears to be from the Song Dynasty mentions as #6 Sun Heng's Monkey Fist.
    Interesting that Sun is the same surname as the fabled Monkey King.

Taishing Pekwar mentions that it only dates to 1911.
    In fact it should be considered a modified version of Pi Gua Chuan and therefore has no apparent relationship to the Monkey styles of old.

Interesting. I have also heard that Six Step may be it's own style and seperate from the Monkey.

Tai Tzu is sometimes said to be a whole family of seperate but related styles of Hong Fist (The original Northern), Cha, Hua, Gun Chuan as well as the Southern Tai Tzu and Northern and Southern Monkey as well as some small animal systemsised versions of the Northern like Crane and Mantis.

All the above are similar except the Southern which is really a less mobile and tightened up version of the Northern that is expressed quite differently, and the Monkey system.

Now, it is said that the Emperor really had little impact on the Monkey style (unlike the rest that were greatly impacted if not completely developed by him). He apparently practiced the Monkey style to a very high level, and I'm sure he left his mark and all, but it is suposed to be really ancient and predate him by hundreds of years. Tis is kind of why I'm asking about it, and if the 1911 vesion is of anyrelation at all. I was thinking the founder might have had training in the original Monkey style prior to his "Incarceration". I didn't know it is based off of Pigua. It sounds like it would be a good thing for seasoned Baji guys to study.

Do you, or anyone else have any historical info on the ancient Monkey system that is said to be from 650 AD.?? I'm trying to get a grasp on the whole timeline from then to now, and it's possible corrilation to other styles besides Tai Tzu (Tai Tzu too of course)
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

"In fact it should be considered a modified version of Pi Gua Chuan and therefore has no apparent relationship to the Monkey styles of old."

Wait a minute. Pek kwar is an ancient style.

It was based on the gibbon.

What is Gibbon??

Tai Shing Pekwar would be an evolved version of Pigua-Gibbon??

Actually, I thought Pekwar was a style developed by a wood cutter and THAT is why it was called Axe Fist. It was added to the Monkey as a primer for it I thought.
    Last edited by Royal Dragon; 10-12-2002 at 09:52 AM.

For the Women:

+ = & a

A Gibbon is some kind of monkey. It's my understanding that real Tai Sheng Pek Kwar teaches Pigua(Pek Kwar) for the first 10 years and only teaches the monkey style to closed door students.

pigua

pekwar is Cantonese of Pigua.
    Yuan means monkey or gibbon.
    A type of monkey style is called Bai Yuan or White Ape. It is also called Tong Bei. This style comes from Hantong.
    He was from the Song. Had a fight, supposedly, with the founder of Song Taidzu. Later they became friends.
    This is a part of unconfirmable Chinese history.

To add to the confusion...
    Pigua looks a little like Tongbei so sometimes it is called Pigua Tongbei.
    Sometimes this version has been incorrectly called Tong bei. No relation.

Royal Dragon,
    Where did you get the 650 AD info?

No evidence that Pigua predates the Ching dynasty.

Royal Dragon,
    Where did you get the 650 AD info?
    Reply]
    I'm not sure, it was so long ago. Besides, I as not refering to Pigua, but to the Monkey Fist practiced along with the Tai tzu system and handed down through the Chao family. I have heard of it being called Tai Shing Men as well. I'm trying to figure out if Tai Sing Men and Tai Sheng Pekwar were related or not because I had read the artical I posted the link to. It got me 'awondering.

For the Women:

+ = & a

I've got a Tai Sheng Pek Kwar video(Chan Sau Chung's style, not Paulie Zink's) that has some demonstration of a couple of their monkey forms. What does your monkey look like?

I'm not really sure how to explain it. It is very low, but not actualy On the ground. there are some moves done on the knees. Sifu Abel would be a better guy to explain it, he is much better trained in that aspect of the system than I am.

For the Women:

+ = & a

just wanted to confirm something isn't that michael and his sifu just fakes?

just wanted to confirm something isn't that michael and his sifu just fakes?

Reply]
    Who is Michael, and who is his Sifu?

For the Women:

+ = & a

Tainan

small correction :

PiguaTongbei is so called because in the 20's the original Piguaquan was modified by adding the essence of the 24 forms of tongbei, this became the new "piguaquan". Some weapons sets were also developed at the time.

So modern piguaquan and in fact that is most of it dates back to that period so that the style is sometimes reffered to as 'tongbeipiguaquan' as distinct from actual tongbei styles such as Wuxingtongbei, Baiyuentongbei etc..........

nowadays many believe to practice old styles but most of the time they are 'older' though not necessarily ancient.

the ppl in the article who claim to be masters in the style that u had in your first post RD

i thought they were fakes.

Oh, Yeah, I had heard that too. It seems there was quite a comotion concernig that issue. a few years ago. I not really concerned about those specific guys though, just interested in seeeing if there is a link between the Monkey often taught with the Tai Tzu curiculem, and the one from the artical, that's all.

I really don't know too much about Monkey styles outside of the modern one mentioned in the artical.

I know Tongbei dates back to about the Early Sung dynasty, but I had never heard that a Tongbei master was freinds with Sung Tai Tzu (Chao, Kuang Yin) before.

For the Women:

+ = & a