Page 246 of 425 FirstFirst ... 146196236244245246247248256296346 ... LastLast
Results 3,676 to 3,690 of 6362

Thread: Talk to Got Qi Girls

Kung-fu research symposium? That's pretty cool. Is it a lot of different areas? Like, history and health and exercise and combat effectiveness and on and on?
    He who establishes his argument by noise and command shows that his reason is weak. - Montaigne

Originally posted by eulerfan
    The lower in the pecking order a monkey was, the more cocaine he used. The lowest guy was constantly pressing the button. The alpha male barely touched it.
    I'm not sure if that result would extrapolate to other drugs. Certainly, drugs which directly effect the 'reward circuitry' of the brain are likely to pre-empt the social order by taking the place of requirements for food, sex, etc. There's examples of this where the animals would die of dehydration as they ignore water in their cages to press the drug-me lever. They've done this with direct stimulation of the brain instead of a drug too... I wonder how many befuddled old neuroscientists have pondered trying this out on themselves...

What makes a monkey an alpha male and is it the same mechanism that would cause it to be disinterested in coke?
    Good point. The tendency to be willing to exert more effort towards recieving satisfaction comes to mind as an obvious trait here...

I have an article, hand to god, it says, "Although our sample is small, the patterns are sufficently strong to warrant confidence in the results."
    I've got a better one for you: "Although there is no significant effect, we conclude this is only due to a small sample size. With increased statistical power, we are sure to find [the effect we proposed]."

Originally posted by Design Sifu
    I read a great book a while back Food of the Gods I believe... It argued that psylocyben was a catilizing factor in the evolution of Humans into Language creating abstract thinking animals.
    Hrmm... that's really interesting. IMHO, on present-day man, a heavy dose of fungus results in 'regression' to a pseudo-psychotic mindset. An example of what I mean is that words come to be the things that they mean, rather than representing them. I call this a regression in the sense that there's speculation this was a way of thinking both in early childhood and ancestral man. The question is: what effect would they have on pre-ancestral man? Would they 'elevate' the mindset to this pseudo-psychosis from something more regressed, or would it simply regress them further? Maybe we could give heavy doses of fungus to people in severe psychotic episodes and find out what happens... would love to see the ethics proposal for that one.

There's another option, that low-moderate doses of fungus would facilitate the kind of allready-occurring mental evolution required for man's consciousness. There's some reason to believe this is a valid proposition. This would be a very weak statement of the author's thesis, since the fungus wasn't required for the evolution, but it's still interesting...

examine the roots of Catholic communion... and it's sipping of wine.
    Blasphemer!

Blasphemer!

well at leaast I'm not bringing up a canabistic implications of...

"drink of this for it is my blood, eat of this for it is my body."

always wondered about that one...

Well, we can't let the lions have all the fun...

Actually, I think it's supposed to be a ritual of profound mystical ecstasy rather than cannibalism.

Thus the mucshroom was the fruit from the tree of knowledge that pulled us out of the garden of eden and into the realm of the recognition of differences... We were able to then distinguish a Tree from the forest.
    Ooooh good catch! The Eden myth is a great parable for the evolution from pseudo-psychosis to rationality.
    Last edited by Christopher M; 04-24-2003 at 02:28 PM.

What?
    Those mushrooms I ate are making it hard to read the letters that keep moving.....

LION, TIGERS AND BEARS! OH MY!

7. There's no way i can take shaolin-do seriously while looking at that pic next to his name.
    I will crush my enemies, see them driven before me, then hit their wimminz with a Tony Danza. - Vash

yea really...what the hell is that? Is that what I think it is?

it's a dude sitting behind a cactus....

Ooooh good catch! The Eden myth is a great parable for the evolution from pseudo-psychosis to rationality.
    Hey, I'm just paraphrasing what I read...

it was a great book . . .

provided the letters stayed still long enough.

The symposium

Submissions were limited to 11 Shaolin topics - taolu, theory, medicine, individuals and systems, wude, chan and wu relationship, antiquarian books, history, international exchange, cultural and folks arts and future development. There were paper presentations, discussion forums and exchanges. It was unprecedented in my experience, but I hear the Beijing is planning a similar symposium in August.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

pot breaks? design sifu, what are you saying?

Actaully I remember reading some studies on the effects of marijuana on work efficiency. It implied that efficiency improved for mindless repetative tasks, like harvesting, but was detrimental to any higher brain activity stuff. Figures. So what would happen if we had pot breaks instead of coffee breaks here? We'd probably spend all our time posting ont he forum.

...wait a minute... I don't even drink coffee....
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

xebby is no more, his creator dwells elsewhere

Re: You know, I study Xingyi now...

Originally posted by GeneChing
    ... and I don't see the connection. Let me play with that in mind and get back to you on that.
    Im just kidding you silly
    Cos there was a video on emptyflower of Tongbei Quan and some of the moves did remind me of Xing Yi
    "If you're havin girl problems i feel bad for you son
    I got 99 problems but a bitch ain't one"

"If you can't respect that your whole perspective is wack
    Maybe you'll love me when i fade to black"

http://www.hotornot.com/r/?eid=OQSURMO&key=FMA

Re: remember the anarchist cookbook?

Im a dude, a dude is not a MONKEEEE

As for space:
    Don't get me started on how mushroom spores are the only living organism that can theoreticly survive interplanetary space travel!!!!
    Ill say again
    SPACE LORD MOTHER MOTHER

Ive been getting this spam email that says on topic:
    "We have every intention of getting you laid..."

Okay, wich one of you did this

Hey, my sister just sent me this little icon of my head. It's a little small but I think it's kinda cute.
    He who establishes his argument by noise and command shows that his reason is weak. - Montaigne